Avoidance: My Closet

love maegan closet avoidance, clutter
Ugh. I’ve been avoiding cleaning out my closet and reorganizing it for ages now. Not a day goes by that I don’t step partially into it {because that’s as far as the door will open and room to permit me to stand} and think “omg I need to go through my shit!” …and I turn around and walk {step} out and turn off the light.

Here’s the thing, I’m kind of obsessed with organization, especially in my closets. My husband informed me the other day that “I like order” …and he is right! Everything has it’s place but not in that anal way, more in a way that makes it look like a STORE. *sigh* I love it. I’m positive it’s my mother’s influence and ya know what, I don’t think it’s a bad thing. In fact, I quite enjoy it. But sometimes I just let it go. I get a case of the “fuck-its” and avoidance kicks in hard.

I’ve concluded that there are more than just one or even two reasons why I am avoiding this project that I once would have jumped upon.

could it be:(?)

1. just lazy
2. I have outgrown my closet considerably. I have clothes hanging on the door of it, on the pull-up bar in the hallway, behind the office door (clothes I had planned on selling on ebay -um, over a year ago) They’re everywhere. I hate it.
3. I keep thinking we are going to move soon so why bother now?
4. I will have to try all my clothes on and I don’t think I’m ready to face the ones that may not fit right any more. {and by right I mean at all} scary.
5. that #4 is probably right
6. I also keep thinking that by some miracle I may get pregnant soon and that may change my decision on what to keep and what to give away.
7. It is going to make me want to go shopping in a bad way :)
8. Maybe a little bit of everything.

It’s driving me bananas though. I can’t work with clutter. I feel like I need a clean space to work on or else my creativity is lost. The same goes for the closet. I get in a rut of wearing the same outfits to work because – well, I know they work and it’s easy. But then I think ah f*ck it!

• ~ alison

July 22, 2008 | Reply

Maybe if you reorganized your closet, you would feel as if it were a new space. Perhaps, it would enable you to live in your home comfortably for longer…until you buy a house and move! I need to do it too – although my closet needs to be redone because the stupid people who owned the house prior put in the worst possible shelving for a short person!

• Steph Corwin

July 22, 2008 | Reply

Best of luck to you and your closet. It’s not fun, but if you think of the end result and the cleanliness and order… it is definitely worth it.

• Nanny Pants is on the loose

July 23, 2008 | Reply

are you…going to the mall later? no, just kidding. are you “afraid” that you will throw out something you need? Are you afraid you will have to spend money to buy new things? are you afraid you’ll get rid of something and then one day later you will need it all of a sudden? what would you do if you were’t afraid? ok, well maybe it doesn’t fit here but, i’m master thrower away-er (not a word but whateves). whatever you haven’t worn in a year and/or is not a classic piece that you might wear if it comes back into style and/or is uncomfortable and itchy and you feel yucky when you wear it – THROW IT AWAY! or trade at that thrift trade store (wtf is it called again?). if you close one door you open another. open the door to your future wardrobe.

• Nanny Pants is on the loose

July 23, 2008 | Reply

beeteedubs, hyper crush will be mentioned on the daily 10 on E! channel tonight. Are you going to the show friday night? jessie says she’ll go. i’ll drive separate so i can leave in a jiffy. you should come so we can be old ladies together (ala knocked up). mom will babysit. i think they are supposed to go on around 8 or 9 but we’ll be safe to get there at 9 i think.

• ...love Maegan

July 23, 2008 | Reply

THIS: if you close one door you open another. open the door to your future wardrobe. …I like…everything else i’m THROWING AWAY, nannypants. ahahah

and …I dunno if my husband will let me go ;) I’ve never been in this situation and actually, it’s kinda sweet

…although when I was younger I would have yelled “uh uu, you aren’t gonna let a man tell you what you can and can’t do!!!” *snap

• ...love Maegan

July 23, 2008 | Reply

alison and steph: I totally agree with both of you. It will open up new and creative space and I will feel totally freed up when it’s complete and have an awesome sense of accomplishment -and a new wardrobe most likely.

• the cubicle's backporch

July 24, 2008 | Reply

My closest is always the last thing I get motivated to organize. And I do the same thing- every morning I see my closet and think “Ugh- I need to clean it.” Maybe I’ll get motivated this weekend.