Accounting for Taste

Thanks to Sara Christine @ Miss Jane, I jumped over Psychology Today(.com) to read a remarkable article regarding taste and personality and what our choices in all arts reveal about our individual personalities.

For instance, we use “…our artistic choices to articulate the story of our lives for ourselves and others” sounds a lot like what many of us are doing on our blogs daily. Creating an idea of who we are. But is it who we are?

For instance, I have never been to Paris but I love the romanticism of this print of the Eiffel tower by Jkl Design

…but cannot wait to get home to play Rock Band II this afternoon! {husband just texted me that he got it!!}. Is it possible that anyone, even those who know me personally can truly know me? And, do I even know myself? And, is it safe to say that we can truly not know another who we think we may?

“…In the end, then, perhaps we should view the differences in tastes between us and others not as grounds for disagreement, but as opportunities for interpersonal revelation.”

In any case, it’s a great read. So open your mind a bit today and read it if you have a chance! Psychology Today(.com)

By: Eriq Gardner
Psychology Today Magazine, Sep/Oct 2008

• Rachel

September 17, 2008 | Reply

You got Rock Band 2…I bet it’s gonna be awesome…we have Rock Band for play station 3 and our playstation just shut down and rebooted itself and have been without for 2 months, i just shipped back to Sony yesterday so we could get a new one…hey once we do maybe we can rock out together…is that possible?

• Evil Mr. Peppers

September 17, 2008 | Reply

Penis

• Andy

September 17, 2008 | Reply

That just means your awesome. Or, as Mr. Peppers bluntly put it, you are into phallic symbols. Once again, awesome.

• Maxie

September 17, 2008 | Reply

you have to do a review of rock band II! I love the first one.

• ~alison

September 18, 2008 | Reply

How strangely coincedental…a question in my class tonight was “Who are you inside?” I am not sure…yet. And I totally agree with the last quote in your post.

• Maki

September 18, 2008 | Reply

hmmm, very deep posting. I am still trying to find who I really am, I think. I have been doing a lot of soul searching, if you know what I mean. I will definitely check it out :D

• Paul Pincus

September 18, 2008 | Reply

loved this piece.

i knew who i was when i was six years old. obnoxious ‘n scary but true : )

• Jessie Cacciola

September 18, 2008 | Reply

isn’t leigh fabulous?!

• Leigh

September 18, 2008 | Reply

That is it in a nutshell!

“Hoping silence will speak for her”

• Nanny Pants is on the loose

September 23, 2008 | Reply

i love this. so interesting. i’m definitely a sensation seeker. and beeteedubs, brad has inspirational posters (a la “emotionally unstable”) all over the house. wish i read this article a long ass time ago.

• Sara Christine

September 23, 2008 | Reply

Thanks for the link! I totally think that I use my blog to present an idealized version of myself and my tastes. On days when I feel like complete garbage, I can slip into my blog character and relax a little. Sounds kinda creepy when I put it like that, but interesting human psychology nonetheless! :)