For Crying Out Loud!

How many times a day, week, month, year, do we want to cry but hold back our tears so no one else sees how fragile we truly are? It’s understandable because people can be pretty judgemental when they see tears and automatically pigeonhole us unfairly and/or jump on our vulnerability.

Many times when I just want to sob over something, I switch my emotion to anger because in my past, anger has gotten a better reaction than tears. But anger is far worse on the immune system than tears; which seem to cleanse toxins rather than create more.

I have come to the realization that if I just shed a few tears, in the moment {with hopefully no one looking} instead of pushing them back, I will prevent major anxiety and future breakdowns. And that sounds a whole lot better than the latter, no matter what people think about me.

• Teal Chic

September 24, 2008 | Reply

I feel ya on this one. I’m not much of a crier but that’s not because I don’t want to. Most of the time I try, but I just can’t. Have you seen The Holiday? I won’t give it away, but the character Cameron Diaz portrayed was great.

• Manda

September 24, 2008 | Reply

Great post and great blog! And I agree with teal chic, I LOVE The Holiday, such a cute movie! I just found dogster on your page, what a cute idea…I had to go create a page for my pup.

• ...love Maegan

September 24, 2008 | Reply

Okay, I LOVE The Holiday!!!! I will watch it any time it’s on …and I think I’m up to about 20!!!

• Rachel

September 24, 2008 | Reply

SO true!!! I sometimes just let it out; if I am mad and my eyes well up the tears start coming down…it’s nice to release it!

• MomMega

September 24, 2008 | Reply

Sometimes I just tell my husband that I need a good cry, so please give me thirty minutes. Then I go upstairs and let it all out. It is much better than carrying around all that anger!

• Maki

September 24, 2008 | Reply

I am really emotional and would cry at everything which isn’t a good thing. When my sis was little, she never cried because she’s embarrassed, but when she saw a movie “Elephant Man”, man, did she cry or what. She learned that it’s okay to cry and release your pain or sadness. It’s therapeutic for your soul. Great post:)

• La Belette Rouge

September 24, 2008 | Reply

There is a hormone that is released when you cry that counters stress hormones. So, crying is good for you. Let it out. But, be sure to put on a good eye mask after you do. ;-)

• ~alison

September 24, 2008 | Reply

I totally agree! I have realized how much I hold back my tears since being off my anti-depressant. It happens quite a bit. It is funny, last week I decided I am not doing myself any good by holding back the tears – so I am just gonna let them fly…as much in private as possible.

• Wep

September 24, 2008 | Reply

I had this happen this morning. I’m tired, and sick, and sick and tired. I felt the tears well up in my eyes, and my boss said

There’s no crying at work.

ha ha….what a funny guy. Not so much funny when all you want to do is throw yourself on the ground and cry like a 4 year old.

• hautepocket

September 24, 2008 | Reply

I couldn’t agree more with your observation. I tend to bottle tears and emotion up until I erupt, and then? Then I really *do* act crazy. Your idea is far more healthy. Tears are a natural response…we should be less afraid of them. They’re extremely therapeutic, I agree. Good post! (P.S. LOVE the outfit in the above post, but I’m sure you could guess that anyway. ;) )

• Q8 fashionista

September 24, 2008 | Reply

love this post,it’s so true..i really felt like if i was reading something about myself!!

• Summer Saldana

October 26, 2008 | Reply

Oh girl, I’m with you. If I have the choice of anxiety or tears, I choose tears! Nothing is worse than anxiety. Nothing!

Hugs…Summer