Love, Relationship & Wedding Questions: Answered

Q: from Elizabeth Marie @ It’s Unbeweavable! and Andrea @ My Chihuahua Bites and Bon Don @ “Who Throws a Cupcake? Honestly.” and from Holly @ Zucchero, Zucchero and from Jessi @ Better late than never!

How did you meet your hubby?? … & What happen with the first marriage or engagement? …& what made you elope?! were any friends/family upset they weren’t involved?

A: After a 7 year relationship and broken engagement with my ex, I moved out of our newly renovated {but unfinished} house in the hills and back to the Valley into an apartment with my cousin Kelley {who was newly single as well}.

It was June 2003, I had just turned 27, had been dealing with panic/anxiety/agoraphobia issues the three years prior and my father who was only 54 had died in March from skin cancer. Let’s just say I was not in the most stable place …to say the least.

Kelley and I moved in at the end of August to what really was the best environment possible given my situation. You see, the apartment complex we moved into was very much like Melrose Place; everyone was friends and everyone knew everyone’s business.

I didn’t know it at the time but my husband-to-be lived there. His place was just downstairs from ours and he lived with his wife.

summer 2004 in the pool

My husband and I became best friends over a years time and then fell in love. {some day I will write a book about that year of my life. It was insane. It was scandalous. It was tumultuous. It was fun and it was fabulous …and it will be anonymous} :)

We moved out in August of 2004 and into the condo we are still residing in.

On my 30th birthday {June 2006}, my husband proposed …in the middle of the roller rink …at the end of the Hoky Pokey …he rolled into the middle of the circle on one knee and popped the question.

My brother proposed to his then girlfriend about a week later and when we all started talking about dates for our weddings, it would seem that our weddings were going to be about a month apart. We were planning September 1st 2007 and they were planning for the end of September the same year. Around the same time my cousin {Kelley} who eloped on Valentine’s Day two years before because she was pregnant then decided that she also wanted to have a wedding in July of 2007, two months before ours.

I didn’t tell any of them {because I thought I was just being petty and selfish} but I felt like I was being pushed out. Like really, how was our family …the same family … going to pay for the expense of attending three weddings within a very short time span? On top of it, we were going to have to pay for our wedding out of pocket. My mom didn’t have the money and my husband’s father had already paid for his first wedding so we were going to have to come up with the cash on our own. During this time, we were trying desperately to pay off my extremely high credit card debt so any wedding we were going to plan had to be a cheap one.

I had started the initial stages of planning and even went to a bridal shop and tried on some dresses. The dress I fell in love with was $2000.

I had already started resenting my mother for not having any money for my wedding {which was not really fair} but I think I was so hurt by the rest of my family planning weddings at the same time that I sort of put it all on my mom as well. The stress of planning the wedding had already started and I had barely begun! Again, I think I was so upset by surrounding circumstances that anything on top of it just put me over the edge. But I thought to myself, if I have to go through an entire year of this kind of stress over ONE day that is supposed to be the best day of my life, it’s just not worth it.

The husband and I had made plans to check out the new {at the time} hotel just outside of Vegas, Red Rock, on Labor Day weekend 2006 as a possible location for our wedding because their wedding packages were really reasonable. But honestly, I didn’t want to get married in Vegas like that. If I were to have a real wedding, I wanted an elegant, small, backyard wedding.

Two days before we were planning to leave on our trip to Vegas we looked at each other and said, “Let’s just do it now!” …and that’s what we did.

But that put an entirely new pressure on me because WHAT WAS I GOING TO WEAR? {we also needed wedding bands on the fly and reasonable at that so we went to Macy’s and found a set of three eternity rings in white gold with tiny diamond specs for me {on sale!!!} and a really awesome black eel and silver ring for him – I still wear my three bands on my right hand} My friend and BM drove all over town looking for dresses for me …but I was looking for a vintage 60′s dress …which I did find and alter in a day’s time but couldn’t find the right shoes for. So when we got to Vegas, the husband-to-be and I shopped around like crazy for shoes and found nothing.

On our shopping extravaganza, we went into Agent Provocateur and found the most amazing ivory corset which I had planned on wearing AFTER the wedding. But when we got to the counter and the girl said that will be $595 including the nude fishnet thigh highs …and we forked over the cash, my husband said “Why don’t you just wear THAT with jeans” …and so I did. I mean, it was Vegas …it really was the best option.

red rock, eloping, maegan & pep, married, wedding, vegas

This photo was actually taken in the Little White Chapel right after the Judge {who just happened to be from our home town of Sherman Oaks} said “Now turn around and smile at all of your guests!” …which made us laugh because there was no one there besides the photographer and the Elvis impersonator getting ready for the next wedding. … so I altered it and used it on the front of our reception party invite {which is also when I wore the vintage 60′s dress} November 11, 2006.

At the time I felt like I was somehow getting the short end of the stick but really, I love that we eloped. We had a blast. We were calm. It was just the two of us. I didn’t have to worry about my BM’s or the cake not being right or my mom or this or that or anything at all …it was just the two of us, looking into each others eyes and saying yes “I Do” …I love you forever and want to spend the rest of my life with you and only you …and yes, everyone was mad. But what choice did they give us? In my opinion, none at all.

{we sent these thank you cards out to our family and friends after our reception party in November… actually, this version only went out to our friends. The family received a much more refined shot ;}

February 23, 2009 | Reply

yay! it is a happy story and things just keep getting better and better for you guys. YAY!!!

• Yaya

February 23, 2009 | Reply

Love the story!!! Normally I would have lost focused reading a story, but you kept me hooked!

I love that you guys got eloped in Vegas. I’m SO jealous. You look AWESOME!

You see…my husband and I had planned to get eloped in Vegas. my parents were even going to pay to fly everyone (wedding party and immediate family) out there from NY for the wedding. But nooooo…my mother in law through a temper tantrum and cried and said we just ‘had to have a real wedding’…guilt tripped us so bad we did the whole ‘traditional wedding’ thing and I’ll never forgive her for it.

Funny how we both want the wedding that other one had!

• Megan

February 23, 2009 | Reply

I loved reading this! Thank you for sharing! You looked beautiful on your wedding day!

• Rachel

February 23, 2009 | Reply

What a great story!!! I can’t wait to read the book ;0)

My hubby and I eloped in Jamaica and it was perfect!!!

• C. Bowie Photography

February 23, 2009 | Reply

GREAT story! Loved it. Thanks for sharing.

The Hokey Pokey.. haha

• freeTEYme

February 23, 2009 | Reply

love comes when you least expect it =)… i eloped too but… hey i’m so happy for you girl!

• Mint Julep

February 23, 2009 | Reply

Funny, my husband and I met in New Orleans where we lived in a “Melrose” type apartment building right next to each other. We also eloped to Vegas and were married in The Little White Chapel.

• Lovebird

February 23, 2009 | Reply

You know what…..I think you ROCK! If I lived in L.A. I would hope that we would be good friends. I enjoyed this story and I have to say my “friend” you need to write more….you have a sincere talent!

• ms. shoo {shebreathes.com}

February 23, 2009 | Reply

Beautiful story. Love the fotos you both look beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

• Bruce

February 23, 2009 | Reply

Wonderful post. This sort of inspires me to write down my weeding story. Lets just say it involves an exotic sports car and knights and maidens.

• The Seeker

February 23, 2009 | Reply

Wonderful post, what a lovely story.

xoxo

• Bambola

February 24, 2009 | Reply

What a gorgeous story. Nothing that goes according to plan is ever as interesting….

You looked so happy on your wedding day. & really the day is just about you two.

So happy that you found each other. You make the most gorgeous couple.

Bambola x

• K.Line

February 24, 2009 | Reply

HOnestly, I love your no shit approach to everything. And you are so gorgeous in that pool shot. Seems you got very lucky the second time around. COuldn’t happen to a sweeter person.

• TLT

February 24, 2009 | Reply

That’s such a wonderful story. I’m so happy for you and the way everything turned out.

My sister recently got married last year and there was so much drama surrounding the wedding that it actually created this huge feud between the two families. It caused so much tension that my sister and her fiance were this close to calling it off. It was absolutely insane! Before I never considered eloping, but after my sister’s experience and reading your story, I’m totally open to that idea when the time comes. I tend to be one of those girly girls who dreams of her fantasy wedding/white dress etc, but all this has definitely made me realize that an alternative route can be just as satisfying! Thanks for sharing your story :)

• Mrs. D

February 24, 2009 | Reply

The corset/jeans is HOT!!! Great look! And I know just what you mean with the sort of wishing you had your dream wedding. We had a real wedding, but it wasn’t the one I really really wanted. My dress was cheap, I wasn’t my best weight, the DJ was sucky, and it was much simpler than I would have chosen, had we had the money. But really, it doesn’t matter now…. but sometimes I wish I had it the way I wanted. Oh well!

• AndreaLeigh

February 24, 2009 | Reply

lovely story. thanks for answering, girlie!

• Diabolina Da Fashionista

February 24, 2009 | Reply

ugh. i like you waaaay too much to not know you :)

love the story. love the corset. love the handsome hubby’s face.

kiss,
    D

• Big Red

February 24, 2009 | Reply

That is the most awesome wedding story! Hope I grow the balls to elope when the time comes.

• Underfunded Heiress

February 24, 2009 | Reply

Wow! What a great story. You are the cutest couple ever!

I met my boyfriend at our apartment complex which is totally like Melrose-how funny.

Some times I think I would love to have an elegant nice wedding but then again it seems like so much work and money for one day. I think I’d rather go on an amazing honeymoon.

I think its pretty cool how you got married:)

• Belle

February 24, 2009 | Reply

Wow, what an amazing story.

Such beautiful photos and I love the Agent Provocateur corset with jeans, you look amazing.

I am a follower of your blog and love it but this is the firt time i have commented.

wonderful x

• Cathy Voyage

February 24, 2009 | Reply

Oh what a wonderful story and what a great post!

• Gem

February 24, 2009 | Reply

if i ever get married i think i’d prefer to elope rather than have a wedding. i’ve never been keen on the idea of having a wedding, eloping just seems like so much less stress and hassle.

• KatieSaysSo

February 24, 2009 | Reply

amazing!!!! i loved that story and the pics as well! honestly that is what its all about….when i find the right guy i actually hope to elope lol! that has always been my plan.

• nenuk

February 24, 2009 | Reply

beautiful story, !!!is really amazing…….

—————

• DaisyChain

February 24, 2009 | Reply

What an incredible story!

• Lump

February 24, 2009 | Reply

aww that was a great story! so glad you guys got to celebrate after you eloped! I think that’s the best part. :)

• PS~Erin

February 24, 2009 | Reply

Very romantic, really. Love your honesty. Thanks for sharing so candidly. Really enjoyed reading it. Feeling a little boring over here, although I’m loving my happily ever after anyhow. Have a splendid day!

• Kellie

February 24, 2009 | Reply

such a cute story! And the corset and jeans = PERFECT for Vegas!

• faith

February 24, 2009 | Reply

I swear your life is a movie. You should definitely write a book. You two make an adorable couple and I love your wedding attire.

• Holly

February 24, 2009 | Reply

it all makes sense!! thanks for answering my question :)

• Carolyn

February 24, 2009 | Reply

SO cute! Love these stories…and I love the corset outfit you wore…you rocked it!!

• maeghan

February 24, 2009 | Reply

When you write that book (because you really should!), I hope you will let us know, because I will totally read it. :)

• Cali Girl

February 25, 2009 | Reply

what did you do for your 30th birthday?

PS i have that same black and white plaid shirt you’re wearing at the top of your blog.

• Aubrey

February 25, 2009 | Reply

I completely know what you mean…Me & my husband-Going on 8 years now, did the same exact thing. We eloped in CA though! It was perfect…He popped the question when we were at the beach. It was much less stressful and not having to deal with all the family drama put me at peace. Of course my family resented me, but we did however have a fun reception a few months later. Your photos are gorgeous as usual!

• Chessa!

February 25, 2009 | Reply

loved reading this about you. :)

• Tina

February 25, 2009 | Reply

what an amazing story, thanks for sharing :)

xx

• drinkupthefashion

February 26, 2009 | Reply

yeah, it would have been nice for your mom to have something for the wedding. i understand if she couldn’t pay for everything, but chipping in for something would be nice.

• Morgan

March 1, 2009 | Reply

You were the most gorgeous bride I’d ever seen both days! You and the Pepper are like peas in a pod, I can’t even imagine our family without that perfect union.

• hautepocket

March 1, 2009 | Reply

I love your question/answer posts. :)

• dhoneybee69

May 30, 2009 | Reply

Your story was breath taking, I am happy you found true love this time, you and your husband are beautiful ppl.I wish you guys the best of luck and I hope I can get as lucky as you soon im almost 30.

P.S you look like Kylie Minogue in the Agent Provocateur corset absolutely gorgeous.

September 2, 2010 | Reply

Such a beautiful bride! My husband and I wanted a Vegas wedding – fun, quick and easy; a few family and friends to come. But other people had issues with this-and-that, what about reception etc. In the end, we didn’t.

• Love. Run. Wine.

March 29, 2011 | Reply

You definitely need to write a book. I think you’re on to something here… please do! :) Great story, I can’t wait to share mine. Congrats & it’s amazing to see such a fairytale.

November 30, 2011 | Reply

I am in love with your love story (& your blog) but i have to say, i am so curious as to what happened on your hubby’s side? were he & his wife on the rocks? when did they get divorced? did she try to kill you in your sleep seeing as you lived in the same apartment complex?

just wondering. sounds like a great story & i would buy 10 copies of your book.