Fight Against Domestic Violence

In this controversial and visually graphic PSA,
Knightley draws attention to the problem of domestic violence.

Cut Movie – Keira Knightley {it’s really good too}

Fight against domestic violence!

Jump Smokers – My Flow So Tight (Anti-Breezy)
Chris Brown should get his ass kicked

Here are some stats

*1 in 4 women {and 1 in 6 men} will be a victim of domestic violence in their lifetime – many of these on a number of occasions.

*One incident of domestic violence is reported to the police every minute.

*On average, 2 women a week are killed by a current or former male partner.

…go to Women’s Aid for more.

{I twittered these both the other day but they are definitely post-worthy.}

• anonymously chic

April 5, 2009 | Reply

i’m glad you posted about this (i’ve worked with many victims of dv as a social worker). thanks for bringing attention to such an important, real issue that faces sooooo many women.

• Francheska

April 5, 2009 | Reply

oh wow that clip with keira looks so good!
    she is stunning!

• Felicia

April 5, 2009 | Reply

Wow, that PSA was really moving.

• GiGi

April 5, 2009 | Reply

I know someone who was a part of DV, & it’s such a sad situation. She finally got out after her x husband almost hit her while she was holding her baby. If I know about 3x’s that it happened, it must have happened many more I don’t. She called the police & he was arrested. He only got anger management classes. Once he hits you, it doesn’t stop! Thanks for posting this.

• ~alison

April 5, 2009 | Reply

Ummm. Wow! I know THIS all too well! What KILLS me is the fact that therapist are mandated by law to report child abuse, elder abuse, dependent adult abuse – BUT NOT allowed to report or break confidentiality of the client for domestic violence! Complete BULLSHIT!

• rebecca

April 5, 2009 | Reply

Very powerful – I am so disappointed with the Chris Brown situation – what a great example Rihanna would be if she spoke out.

• Doll legs

April 5, 2009 | Reply

OMG here in mexico the DV have horrible statistics everyday is in the news,women, and children hitten by the father or others,its a very sad situation.I’m with you in this fight.xoxox :)

• Wanderlusting

April 5, 2009 | Reply

I don’t know why people are protesting Kira Knightley’s video, saying it “goes too far” – it’s the truth and violence has gone too far! It needs to be shown and I’m glad you are doing so :)

• Girl Japan

April 5, 2009 | Reply

Thank you Ailson for saying this… this is why in my about page- I have an ex-husband— I was kicked to the point I miscarried but.. and he was a corporate type of guy— I am not sure why people think there are barriers in economic status.. there isn’t.

What is worse is when they are forced to go to therapy, they use the system against you, the victim. This is TOO close to home.

• daynacupcake

April 5, 2009 | Reply

I haven’t been to your blog for quite some time (or any blogs for that matter) and this is the first entry I see.
    I’m one of those women who’s been a victim of domestic violence. April 2008 was when I put the restraining order on my ex boyfriend. the day feels like yesterday. I will never forget it- in detail.
    I pray for all women to get out of their abusive relationships fast, because if I lasted longer in that year and a half relationship… I would have been dead. he already did enough physical, emotional, and mental damage to me. I was put through psych wards & tons of tons of therapy (I still am in it) and it just drove me even crazier because I was away from him. He drove me away from every single one of my friends and family. I know how hard it is to let go of the man you’re with; abusive or not. You’re scared. Terrified. And you can certainly still be in love with him, thinking he’ll change from his remorse after the abuse.
    I’m almost shocked I came across this as your entry. I don’t go into details about my relationship or talk about it much at all. It’s was embarrassment for me and it was one of the most traumatic things I’ve had to go through. but of course I definitely agree, stop domestic violence. I never saw Kiera Knightley’s movie… I might see it. domestic violence needs to be shown more, it needs to be stopped.
    love, dayna.

• Kay

April 5, 2009 | Reply

Thank you so much for posting this, I heard about it and I’m really glad I’ve seen it. It makes you realize how terrifying and nightmarish domestic violence is, it may be controversial but it’s definitely hard-hitting and I think that’s what’s needed

• Barterbabe

April 5, 2009 | Reply

I volunteer at a battered womyns shelter in my area. I am glad that you posted this and raise awareness of this on your site. thanks

• Pretty Little World

April 5, 2009 | Reply

I watched this yesterday, and I think it’s wonderful that you posted it.

My students talked about DV in class the other day (spec. an article about the Chris Brown/Rihanna thing), and I was surprised by some of my students responses: some (and these are college girls) said that she probably did something to deserve it.

I was shocked. Thankfully some of my other students loudly voiced that no matter what she did, no one deserves to get hit.

Excellent post.

• Nanny Pants is on the loose

April 5, 2009 | Reply

Those are some INSANE stats. It’s much too prevalent. I’m glad you post stuff like this. I lurve you and i miss you soooo much. can’t wait to see you on easter.

• Iole

stopping by, to say hi!
    xoxo
    Iole

• The Rest is Still Unwritten

April 5, 2009 | Reply

I’ve missed you! I’m so glad you left me a comment! A couple of months ago I accidently deleted everyone on my blog list…Sad!

• AsianCajuns

April 5, 2009 | Reply

Thanks for posting about this. Chris Brown is dead to me!

• Emz

April 5, 2009 | Reply

I watched that video… It was kind of hard to watch- but I really love Keira Knightley for the things she does. I feel like celebrities should use their fame to spread awareness about certain things, and I’m glad some of them do =)

• Jasmine

April 5, 2009 | Reply

that PSA was really realllllly good. i’m glad you posted about this. it’s a disgusting problem in the world, and something needs to be done about it.

• Stacy (the Random Cool Chick)

April 5, 2009 | Reply

Thank you for posting this – I’m someone who was lucky to get out of an abusive marriage, and things like this tend to get pushed to the side or kept behind closed doors… You ROCK! :)

• Snarky A.

April 5, 2009 | Reply

Thanks for posting this, Maegan.

• Meghan

April 6, 2009 | Reply

Good for you for posting. If anything Chris Brown/Rihanna have shown domestic violence can happen in any relationship no matter how it looks from the outside.

• Ashlee

April 6, 2009 | Reply

this made my stomach hurt :( thanks for posting this. Someway or another everyone is affected by DV.

• b is for brown

April 6, 2009 | Reply

great post.

• Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes

April 7, 2009 | Reply

I have a friend who’s just walked out of an abusive relationship and everyday I think what an inspirational woman she is. I saw Oprah talking about the number of teenage girls who are abused by their bf’s – needless to say I was dumb struck. More people need to speak out and speak out often.

• Ruby

April 7, 2009 | Reply

That was a wonderful PSA, very moving. Glad you posted it.