Photo Load Time Testing w/ Doggies

Apologies for this interruption but my images have been loading way too slowly for my liking lately so I thought I’d do a little test comparing load times from a flickr direct as opposed to my own ftp direct ~ which is how I normally do it. I’m thinking flickr is going to be faster because the photos are technically already loaded to the internet making them pre-cached …or so I think. Let’s see .. .

These are our dogs …LeRoy the French Bulldog and Bebop the Pug

1* directed from flickr

leroy-bebop-april-fools, pug and french bulldog

2* directed from my own ftp {nice balls!}

3* directed from flickr

bebop-pug-patio-march08

me-and-LeRoy

LeRoy

2* directed from my own ftp

I’m guessing this is why people leave blogger and go to other blogging platforms. It’s kind of a pain to have to resize the images from flickr but blogger is taking FAR TOO LONG to load my own ftp images. However, I like blogger better than many platforms for numerous reasons.

… thoughts?

• ...love Maegan

May 27, 2009 | Reply

wow …YEAH …flickr photos loaded almost immediately while my own ftp photos are loading MUCH slower. I think I have my answer.

• ...love Maegan

May 27, 2009 | Reply

even my side bar photos which are loaded via my own ftp take too long. Seems as though I have some work to do ….bear with me :)

• Elizabeth Marie

May 27, 2009 | Reply

No, seriously wtf is going on with Blogger lately? I thought it was my comp, then I changed from Firefox to Safari…it’s happening on all my fav blogs and mine too…Blogger is being a little bitch. Ok, end rant.

You have the cutest doggies ever. “Nice balls” LOL

• being red

May 27, 2009 | Reply

i use photobucket to host my photos…works like a CHARM. i’ve been getting SO frustrated with blogger lately. been thinking about doing the impossible…switching to wordpress! good luck with the pics. xo

• miky

ouhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lovley pupysssssssssssss!!!!

• J-Diggety

May 27, 2009 | Reply

My thoughts are about your doggies: I want to cuddle with them in that squishy green thing!!! SO cute :)
    J

• Fashion Fille

May 27, 2009 | Reply

use photobucket! i use it and it’s never a problem. check out how my photos load on my blog for proof!

• THE Stephanie

May 27, 2009 | Reply

yeah, the flickr photos were SOOOO much faster. Either way, though, the dogs are TOO cute!!

May 27, 2009 | Reply

the flickr shots are coming up WAAAAAAAY faster.

i love your doggies.

and i would wait for your pics no matter what! :)

• Yaya

May 27, 2009 | Reply

Yup, flickr ones are there and other ones are taking forever to load. Yup, I load all my pics into photobucket. It is a pain in the butt to resize and all, but knowing that my pics are gonna work makes me happy. Plus I’ve gotten so used to it by now that it really takes no time at all. It’s like second nature. And lastly, I love that all my pics are backed up on photobucket in case my computer dies and my harddrive is capput, I have all my pics still there on the Internet, ya know?

PS dog balls…lol!

PPS Thank you for your comment today on my blog. I really didn’t think I would feel like this, but I’m elated. I’m estatic. I can’t stop crying tears of happiness. I know this was meant to be. It makes all my years of suffering worth it. It makes sense now (and I am not religious), but it just makes sense. If we get that sibling group of 4 (that’s what we’re trying for) than that is what was meant to be in my life, and had we gotten pregnant and stayed pregnant and had our own children then these children never would have made it into our life. Just some food for thought for ya!

• daer0n

May 27, 2009 | Reply

I use photobucket as well. But yeah, the photos uploaded from your FTP site do load very very slow, i was wondering if it was my computer cause it is slow at times.

LOL @ the balls comment, haha!
    Cute puppies :)

• Kellie

May 27, 2009 | Reply

I’m still laughing at the balls photo. :)

I hate blogger. It gives me SO much grief. But I don’t want to switch it now… Boo Blogger! Why doesn’t it ever seem to work?

• Julia

May 27, 2009 | Reply

I’m sorry to hear about the frustration with the photo loading bits, but, you’re making us howl with glee with all these photos!

• shortmama

May 27, 2009 | Reply

Agreed with everyone, flickr was there immediately.

Your dogs are the most adorable things I have ever seen!

• Maki

May 27, 2009 | Reply

Soooo cute, those little kiddies of yours..

I really don’t know what it’s like to use other platforms – I’ve heard WordPress is so much better than blogger though… Hmmmm..

• Lauren From Texas

May 27, 2009 | Reply

i liked blogger for the time I had it, but since I made the switch to wordpress, I LOVE IT. Try wordpress for a few days (like a test run) and see how you like it. You might be surprised!!

PS: your dogs are adorable – can my dogs be friends with them?? lol :)

• issa

May 27, 2009 | Reply

AH your pups are soooo kute!!!

• Jules

May 27, 2009 | Reply

Your dogs are sooooooo cute! And flckr did load right away!

• Brett Alexandra

May 27, 2009 | Reply

awwww, I love Leroy and Bebop!! What cuties!!

• Diana

May 27, 2009 | Reply

right now, i’m using a net book so it’s naturally slower to adjust to the small screen, but i will say your photos of your pups loaded first before even your header!

adorable family!! i want one!

• bananas.

May 27, 2009 | Reply

LEROY! HA! i love the name. your babes are too cute.

• Hanako66

love the pups!

I size on flickr and post directly…it is much easier that way. I have been thinking about leaving blogger too, but it is so easy for me in too many ways and I like the google friend connect.

• clorivak

May 27, 2009 | Reply

Too adorable…I love both of them..Beebop and Leroy..hahah, awesome names. Both breeds are way too cute and waayy hilarious!

• K.Line

May 27, 2009 | Reply

Pretty puppies! I downsample all of my photos (diminish the resolution) so that they don’t take long to load. These came up faster than your regular photos but they’re still slow in the scheme of things…

• Lily G.

May 27, 2009 | Reply

haha, your dogs are so cute!! love their precious faces.

liliesandgrapes.blogspot.com

• Beth Dunn

May 28, 2009 | Reply

I haven’t had a problem yet with pictures…but I rarely put up more than one. Cute pup! xo

• ohbrooke

May 28, 2009 | Reply

I got the same load time with both. You should consider wordpress, MUCH more robust than Blogspot, and you can easily import ALL your old posts… worth a try. I’m on wordpress and LOVE it… it feels like being a “big girl” after being on blogspot.

• Dooder City

May 28, 2009 | Reply

The snuggle photo is def my favorite. What cute little pups you have:)

• Kristin

May 28, 2009 | Reply

They did load a lot faster and what cutie little fur babies.

• Chessa!

May 28, 2009 | Reply

I use flickr…it’s so much easier. I just load them up and take the code that they already provide and I just played with the size until I found the one that works for me:) just like you said…they are already online and the code is already created for you – you just have to adjust the size for your blog.

• Meghan

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Puppays!

• Nicole Marie

May 28, 2009 | Reply

i don’t know what all that computer talk is all about, my pic seems to be loading fine.

those faces are just too cute!!

• Carlotta

May 28, 2009 | Reply

OMG I love your dogs they’re TOO cute!!!! the pic on the green pillow is lovely :) )
    I’ve left something for you here http://carlotta-myway.blogspot.com/2009/05/awards.html

• Penny

May 28, 2009 | Reply

I’m totally dumb regarding any computer stuff,so I just suck it up and wait,and wait.But seriously,I tried WordPress and other blogging platforms,and even though Blogger has its problems,I still prefer it to the others.

Your dogs are to die for.I mean,I am seriously wanting my own little pug or french bulldog.

• stacy

May 28, 2009 | Reply

my thoughts are… i LOVE dogs with squeeshed in faces (exactly why i have a boxer)!

you’re photos do download slowly but, i got time baby.

• TheBeautyFile

May 28, 2009 | Reply

really? really? how cute are these guys??? i don’t know how you even leave the house with those guys there!!

• Couture Carrie

May 28, 2009 | Reply

Your pups are tres adorable!

xoxox,
    CC

• prettylittletangents

May 28, 2009 | Reply

I love the pups! LeRoy and my Boston terrier Frank look a lot alike (Frank is almost all black)! So very cute – I can’t stop gushing.

• Jules

May 28, 2009 | Reply

these pictures are way too damn cute! adorable!

• Aartee

May 28, 2009 | Reply

awww your doggies are adorable…I want a dog but sometimes I can barely handle my hubs!

• Georgie Girl

May 28, 2009 | Reply

OHMYGOD – the ‘balls’ photo is classic.

Your site definitely takes a long time to load. Longer than any other blog that I read. But I always wait because your daily outfits are worth it!!

• Gracie

May 28, 2009 | Reply

I don’t have much useful input for this thread.

But I had to say… your dogs are adorable! If you ever get tired of one of them…

Gracie.

• hautepocket

I love the pupsikins.

• Tiffany

May 29, 2009 | Reply

love your pups! they are too cute.

I use blogger for my personal blog and wordpress for my photography blog and I much prefer blogger. But it has it’s days… irritates me sometimes. I use flickr as well, it was what worked best for me!

• K @ Blog Goggles

May 29, 2009 | Reply

Haha ok that is totally your dog. They are too frickin adorable for words.

No idea about the techy stuff – good luck!

• Bruce

May 29, 2009 | Reply

I sort of have this vision that dogs like these will be the gargoyles in hell that torment me for all eternity.

As for Blogger, it is competent and somewhat configurable. I don’t mind the limitations, since I have always thought that blogging was about written content and not so much about imagery. For that you can just set up a Flickr Blog.

• Savvy Mode SG

May 29, 2009 | Reply

adorable pups…. : )

• Girl Japan

May 30, 2009 | Reply

Have you thought about converting to a hosted wordpress platform- ? I am going to have a site redesigned and host it- I think you would have a great following–

It was nice to see how possibly BIG my little frenchie puppy will getg.

• freeteyme

May 30, 2009 | Reply

how cute are your puppies?!!

• Marlboro Martini

May 30, 2009 | Reply

Dogs balls are forever emblazoned in my minds eye…

MM x