How To Curl Your Hair With Sponge Rollers for Big Afro Curls!

afro curls hair tutorial

5159744224_725f7e3189_o

light+neutral+outfit+-++gold+accessories-blonde+afro-big+hair

Big Afro Curls in the snow from Winter 2013

* Apologies for the blurring in and out… and the lighting. and the fan. it’s all annoying. This video is ancient also. But you get the point.

Below is how the curlers look when they’re in …& the tight ringlets after you take them out – you may choose to leave the ringlets intact for a cute Shirley Temple look ;)

maegan-curlers

To get the afro, separate the curls with your fingers, one ringlet at a time. Do not use a brush. You can use a pick if you have one but I’ve found fingers do the trick quite well. After pulling & separating each ringlet, use your entire hands, fingers spread open, at the base of your head, to fluff from the root out. Continue separating curls until you like the look. It will get bigger over time, and fall a little.

. . . it’s going to look something like this

Vintage Christmas Whim

Vintage Christmas Whim

More on Afro Curls…

* Click Here to see photos from Vintage Christmas Whim
* Click Here to see more photos & info of my big afro curls
* This is what it looks like when you use larger sections and on day two

• FrancoB.

August 27, 2009 | Reply

ok meg. you are going to find me extremly creepy but sometimes when i can’t sleep i like to watch your hair to videos, you relax me :D

• Stacey B

August 27, 2009 | Reply

I can’t wait to see what it looks like tomorrow! I remember doing these as a kid with my mom’s rollers…also used torn sheets once to wrap it up and that came out SUPER kinky!

• Christina Dee

August 27, 2009 | Reply

aww your so adore. i truly love this hairdo<3.

• kelliegonzo

la la love it! [that's what my hair looks like normally ;) ] <3

• ♥Aubrey

August 27, 2009 | Reply

I don’t think it’s possible for you hair to look bad. And if YOU think it does…you always find a FABULOUS way to make it rock & roll.

• TeeTee

August 27, 2009 | Reply

Ooooh.. I’ll have to try it!

• PUNKIE

wow! you’re a genius!

• Namine

August 27, 2009 | Reply

I love your curls!! Your shoots are amazing too!

• bianca

August 27, 2009 | Reply

LOVE it!!! Good tip about rolling hair from the top. I can’t wait to try it!

• Elizabeth Marie

Ummm wtf is all that…

But anyways, sponge rollers! You are toooo cute I can’t wait to see!!! And Franco…oh Franco that boy cracks me UP!

• Brooke

August 27, 2009 | Reply

That’s what my hair looks like when I let it dry naturally. But, of course, I spend obscene amounts of time trying to tame the beast! Beautiful shots :)

• Suzanne

August 27, 2009 | Reply

it looks so great on you! unfortunately my hair isn’t long enough :(
    xx

• .cocobutterlipbalm

August 27, 2009 | Reply

love the hair – I think your blog is really stylish and unique – I’d really appreciate if you would become a follower on my blog http://cocobutterlipbalmx.blogspot.com/ – and comment on some of the posts

• kirstyb

August 27, 2009 | Reply

lol hope it turns out ok x

• Cathy Voyage

It looks so beautiful!

• Glamorous Newlywed

August 27, 2009 | Reply

Ha! I remember doing my hair like that as a little girl…maybe it’s time to pull the sponge rollers out of retirement!

• Shauna

August 27, 2009 | Reply

If I had enough hair – I would have to give this a shot.

• Lauren From Texas

August 27, 2009 | Reply

my mom used to do that to my hair ALL THE TIME. from when I was little up through high school!! but she put toilet paper at the end – i don’t know why???

xo

• Penny

August 27, 2009 | Reply

When my hair was longer I used to do that but instead of a curling iron, I would have my hair braided. When I would unwind the braids; it was the total Diana Ross experience…lol
    You look absolutely amazing in this look….love it. The pics remind me of Stevie Nicks in Bella Donna…just beautiful:)

• Kb_Mal

August 27, 2009 | Reply

I LOVE big sponge curler curls. I have hair like yours (wavy and holds anything). so fun!

• diane

August 27, 2009 | Reply

Hahahaha, would you just LOOK at all of that chinese spam in your comment section?! Hahahaha, that happened to me too, I deleted it. Maybe you should just leave yours in, because it’s hilarious!
    Anyways, I was brought right back to the days of primping with my best friend when I watched that video. The only thing missing was the margueritas. xo

• Sher

August 27, 2009 | Reply

Are you being bombarded by spam comments? For the last few days here….

I may not always leave a comment but I always enjoy stopping by. This post reminded me of Bernadette Peters. My son and I watch that old movie The Jerk the other night. Being born with straight hair I’ve always LOVED Bernadette’s hair.

Can’t wait to see your final outcome. I would need a ton of Dippity Do to make mine stay. Do they still make Dippity do? LOL!

• bananas.

August 27, 2009 | Reply

girl, you are NOT old! just had to make that clear. k….

love the beyonce in the background. makes me want to afro-curl it up and dance!

• Meghan

August 27, 2009 | Reply

I love it, such fun hair. I just want to sproing your curls (that sound so perverse for some reason when I type it) ;)

• Amanda Nicole

August 27, 2009 | Reply

I adore your hair all curly! Love the little ringlets :)

• Annie

you are so darn cute!!
    i can’t wait to see how it turns out! :)

• Syhn

i love it!

• Iva

YOU are NOT old.

Ok. :)

you are fabulous and so amazing! I love these pictures!!

• Susan

August 27, 2009 | Reply

I love that last pic of you :)
    xoxo

• aimy

August 27, 2009 | Reply

Love it! Sometimes when I want to sleep in, I wear those foam curlers to bed and– voila! Nice big curls in the morning.

• Lisa Petrarca

August 27, 2009 | Reply

Wow…how long did that take you to finish, you are PATIENT!

When I had hair down to my waist (90′) me and my girlfriend permed each others hair with those large tongue depressor sticks that the Dr.’s use to check your throat (think ice cream sticks but larger).

Anyways, we sliced the ends and put rubber bands to simulate a real perm rod. OMG, it was the COOLEST look ever! It was natural looking but kinda wild. AGAIN RANDOM SHARING…

• Leslie

August 28, 2009 | Reply

Hi, Just picked up the Sept Issue of InStyle magazine. On page 171–the French Connection ad–is that you?? Sure looks like it!!

• Wanderlusting

August 28, 2009 | Reply

I had to watch it on mute (im at work) so I wish I could hear what you were expressing haha, but anyway, point taken: must do this to my hair soon! Just hope it works because my hair is fine and not very long and oh my extensions will be out by Sunday. Eeek!

• Caroline

August 29, 2009 | Reply

are you playing ‘Too Young’ by Phoenix in the background? Love that song! haha. :)

• PAULNKC

August 31, 2009 | Reply

you probably have the best hair ever – just sayin’ (:

• raynette quel.

September 15, 2009 | Reply

meghan, i just started following you and i am so glad that i did. you are amazing. you make blogging look effortless. :) loved the vid. and you outfits, and diy’s and etc, etc. thanks. xoxo

• Closet Cravings

November 1, 2009 | Reply

I loved using these sponge curlers when I was little and even in high school. Whenever I used them in high school, girls would always want to know how I create such tight curls. These little babies work so great in hair, but I HATE sleeping in them. They’re such a cheap beauty tool though. =)

• T!ffany

January 21, 2011 | Reply

I just found your blog! I love the afro curl video tutorial! I so want to try this!

• heather

March 28, 2011 | Reply

-big, curly hair (au natural!): check
    -adorable, snorty black, white & brindle frenchie: check

now all i need is your wardrobe and i would be all set! seriously though, the first black and white? dead ringer! love your blog, lady… stay fabulous!

• emily

July 31, 2011 | Reply

did you put any styling products in your hair after washing it? like a mousse or holding spray or hairspray after taking the curls out? i am obsessing over trying out this look lol

November 5, 2011 | Reply

I love it!! What size sponge rollers did you use? My hair is the same length as yours and I got some teeny ones that are 5/8″ and my curls didn’t turn out as good. Did you use a bigger size? Thanks!

• imad

June 17, 2012 | Reply

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Beauty Tutorials