Jane Iredale vs Bare Minerals

I’ve been using Bare Minerals powder foundation for over four years now and have loved it so much that I may or may not have overlooked the tingling/itchy sensation that occasionally occurred during and after application {and whenever it was hot enough to break a sweat …I mean, glisten}. I never really thought to look further into it because I figured it was not a big deal …it was one negative to a hundred positives.

Over the past couple of months though, my skin texture just had not been what it once was and I had been breaking out more than my normal PMS pimples. The realization that I’m in my 30′s now and not my 20′s didn’t make it any easier to accept what I saw in the mirror and I thought maybe I could make some changes and help it look better.

I’m not sure how I stumbled upon it, but I found a review {which OF COURSE I cannot find now} from a woman whose skin was breaking out due to Bare Minerals use and that she switched to Jane Iredale and has not had a problem since.

So I googled a bit more . . .

Apparently, the itchy/stingy feeling I would occasionally encounter was due to the ingredient Bismuth {also the main ingredient in Pepto-Bismol} which also tends to clog pores …in some users who are allergic to it.

But because I love the ease and coverage of mineral/powder makeup, I wanted another, Bismuth-free alternative. So I looked into Jane Iredale mineral foundations {because of the above-mentioned review I can no longer find} …which I’ve been using now for about 2 months. I wanted to share the goodness with you but I had to truly test it before I raved about it, right?

Jane Iredale Mineral Foundations are a bit more expensive {$40 vs $18 – but since the powder is finer, it seems like there is actually more makeup per jar} but unfortunately not sold at Sephora. So I took a risk and purchased it online and have been pretty happy with the results

Why I like Jane Iredale:
* Powder is finer
* Brushes are softer
* No itchy/stingy feeling after/during application
* Less under the skin bubbly cheek breakouts
* Husband approves! {Actually says it looks WAY BETTER …which means he can see my skin through it!}
* I do like the transparency but sometimes I feel like the coverage is not quite as good as Bare Minerals {I have some splotchy discoloration on my forehead from tanning while on birth control in my mid 20′s {I’m guessing}}

jane iredale mineral makeup vs bare minerals

I’m using Warm Silk

While I haven’t seen a MAJOR skin improvement, I definitely have had less breakouts and the texture is almost back to where I’d like it to be. However, I think it’s definitely time to see a dermatologist …an appointment I have avoided my entire life.

If you are not experiencing itchiness or breakouts due to Bare Minerals, then chances are you are not allergic to bismuth and there is no need to switch. But here is a list of ingredients in Bare Minerals just in case you’re interested.

* I haven’t made any other makeup changes since this post except for new mascara Kelly @ My So Called Fabulous Life sent me …which I LOVE. It’s Loreal Double Extend Waterproof Lash Fortifier and Extender Mascara, Black – 1 Ea and it totally helps me deal with my eyelash hypotrichosis …lol.

August 26, 2009 | Reply

i might just have to try this. might just have to! the search for new base or powder or foundation is a NIGHTMARE, so recommendations are always appreciated!!! :)

• JKreids

August 26, 2009 | Reply

I just turned 29 and over the past two years have had more breakouts than I ever did in my teens. You mentioned seeing a dermatologist so I wanted to share this with you: it was the best thing I ever did. He first prescribed me antibiotics to kill the bacteria that was clogging my pores (which I took for entirely too long – like 3 months but then I tapered myself off) and I put on a cream in the morning and one at night: Benzaclin and Tretinoin — Tretinoin is generic Retin-A. Be prepared for high prices so ask for generics. The Benzaclin is $80with no generic alternative and the Tretinoin is $40 but the real deal, Retin-A is close to $180. No thank you… This is of course if this is what you’re prescribed but either way, after age 24 some ance treatment isn’t covered by insurance.

Anyway, my skin looks phenomenal and I’m no longer a slave to liquid foundation + powder. I wear very little now. The creams irritated my skin at first until I got used to it (slight redness and peeling) but it has helped control oil and shine and the night cream prevents wrinkles as well as future break-outs.

Whew… you’d think I work for a pharmaceutical company after that post! Bottom line – go to the derm. No shame.

• bananas.

August 26, 2009 | Reply

i used to work for a place that sold jane iredale. everyone loved it. me? i mean it was okay but for $40 i was not that impressed. i do know it’s made from the best products so i’m happy to hear that you are not experiencing any allergies to it. i’m a bare escentuals gal and so far so good.

• Lynn

August 26, 2009 | Reply

Her makeup is excellent for the skin. She also has a pressed powder, spf 20, which might give you better coverage.

I get mine from skincarerx.com

• Living and Loving In L.A.

August 26, 2009 | Reply

I was using Bare Minerals too, until recently when I just got so fed up always having powder everywhere! The powder was literally from my floor to the ceiling in my bathroom. And the brushes don’t last forever, either. I think mine are on their last legs, even though I’m still using them for my blush and bronzer respectfully. I am definitely going to look into Jane Iredale, especially the pressed powder Lynn is talking about. Thanks for sharing that cool review, Maegan!

• Tricia

August 26, 2009 | Reply

I used Bare Minerals for five years and loved it, but began having the same problems you experienced. I wanted to try Jane Iredale but couldn’t find a convenient location, so I went to makeupally.com and read reviews there and found an online company, Everyday Minerals, that offered sample sizes. I LOVE their products! My skin is so much better and I’ve been getting a lot of compliments on how good I look. The best part is that the Everyday Mineral makeup is LESS than Bare Minerals.

• jasmine

August 26, 2009 | Reply

bareMinerals has always made my skin itch and tingle too. i just recently switched to gloMinerals, and it doesn’t irritate my skin…although, i think it may be making me break out more. i should check to see if there’s any bismuth in it. i’ve always wanted to try jane iredale though so i should check it out! thanks for the review. :)

• Darrah

August 26, 2009 | Reply

I’ve been avoiding the very same thing. I switched to Bare Minerals from MAC because I wanted to be “more natural.” HOwever, I still have the same breakouts. It’s hard to say what’s the contributing factor. Is is my skin care regime? Or is it my make-up? It’s hard to say, but it’s worth taking the chance. I don’t have insurance right now, so I can’t afford the appointment.

• *fish

August 26, 2009 | Reply

I used to work at a salon that carried Jane Iredale. I remember it being quite good in terms of coverage, yet letting your own skin show through. Arbonne’s About Face Mineral Powder Foundation is another great mineral make up at a slightly lower price point – $34. Try ‘em all until you find the one that works!

• scarlethue

August 26, 2009 | Reply

Really? I wondered what that itching was! I haven’t noticed any extra breakouts but I definitely do itch like crazy when I get sweaty (which living in the deep south happens more often than I’d like). I love my bare minerals so much I didn’t even consider it as the source, haha. Thanks for the heads up!

• Jaime

August 26, 2009 | Reply

Interesting…I am an avid Bare Mins user, but now I am really curious about Jane Iredale!

• MartiniOnTheRocks

August 26, 2009 | Reply

i really should try this mineral thing. im 26 and in my teen years i ve never had skin problems… but last year my dermatologist said that i have an average acne…. i couldnt understand, cause there is almost nothing on my face… so i tried a treatment… and had problems and pain while applying make up… i use just an tanned day cream by nivea and have an mixed skin( oily and dry)…. now i really dont know that to do

• Brooke

August 26, 2009 | Reply

I used Bare Minerals for a long time, but then, I just stopped liking it. I like mineral makeup, though, so I might have to give this brand a shot!

• ~alison

August 26, 2009 | Reply

You know…my skin has been breaking out LIKE CRAZY!!! But – I used to use Jane Iredale until I decided to switch to Bare minerals. Jane didn’t cover my flaws enough and felt more cake like. I tried the liquid, the loose powder and the packed powder…maybe they have changed since I used it. IT IS VEGAN …by the way, which is TOTALLY a plus for me. Hmmmm…I may have to try it again, if my skin continues to SUCK ASS.

• ~alison

August 26, 2009 | Reply

OH – by the way…They sell Jane Iredale at the Beauty Collection by Joanne’s right by you.

• Feelmore

August 26, 2009 | Reply

Jane Iredale is fantastic! You could also try Sheer Cover which is also mineral powder, and comes compact or loose and is more comparable to Bare Minerals price range.

• Clorivak

August 26, 2009 | Reply

I use Jane Iredale and love IT! I love how natural it looks but sometimes wish the coverage was a bit better as I do have some blotchiness and pimples that I like to cover. I love how it has an SPF built in and I love the texture of it. I wonder if there is anything better for mineral makeup than Jane….apparently its one of the top ones though…hmm…I’m still on my search for a wicked concealer which I guess would take care of the ol’ blotch issues.

• LifestyleBohemia

August 26, 2009 | Reply

I’m in my late 20′s and also started developing some minor breakouts out of no where (really strange, considering I’ve always had clear skin). Lately I’ve been using Lancome Dual Finish Powder and it’s been very good to my skin. I put on a light oil-free moisturizer and then just the power over it and it gives a nice natural yet clean look and my breakouts have subsided.

• Jill Pilgrim

August 26, 2009 | Reply

That’s awesome to know- Bare Minerals totally made me breakout, so I went back to my Clinique, but maybe I’ll give this a shot. :)

• Only The Good Stuff

August 26, 2009 | Reply

Everyday Minerals is HEAVEN ON EARTH!!!!!!!! You really should try it!!! It is less than both JI & BE !! And it just all around FABULOUS!!!!!!

• josephine

August 26, 2009 | Reply

I have been noticing my pores clogging even though I’m on Retin-A and another topical gel from my doc. I always assumed I needed to clean my brushes more often or something, but maybe this is it… Worth a try I guess!

• Kori~Q~

August 27, 2009 | Reply

Just found your blog today and I love it! So fun!

Anyhoo, commenting because I wanted to second (or third) the recommendation on Everyday Minerals. I have crazy sensitive skin, plus quite a bit of redness, and Everyday Minerals has been fantastic! It camouflages my redness while still looking really natural and my skin is in way better shape (as far as oil control, texture and breakouts) since I started using EM four years ago.

• cali bird

August 27, 2009 | Reply

I’m in my early 20′s & I have only used bare minerals once or twice. I’m not sure if I remember me having any itching problems. I do use another brand of mineral powder I think by covergirl & I switch around from time to time. But I have noticed in the past 2 years that I tend to get so itchy when I put it on. My face will get big blotchy red marks all over it that itches so bad it makes my eyes well up. Me wanting to look good I have just ignored it. But now that you have written about this I think I’m gonna try to see what I can do (on my college budget.)

• Piper Jacquelyn

August 27, 2009 | Reply

I totally get itchy from my BE, but kinda think I’m an itchy person or something. I wish I could try this out without ordering online….I’m such a pansy about that kind of thing. I totally have the under-skin clogging-blah-annoyingness though, so maybe I should just order it. Hmmm, thanks for the info, I’ll look into it!

• Hi, I'm Amy!

August 27, 2009 | Reply

The pressed powder is great and has a bit more coverage than the loose. I use a brush to apply the pressed and the little pad in areas that are red or to cover a blemish. My pressed powder compact lasts about 4 months. I went to esthetics school, where we sold Jane Iredale and fell in love with it. I’ve been using it for 9 years. I hope you keep having great experiences with it!

• Susanna

August 27, 2009 | Reply

I used to get really bad breakouts using foundation (and I tried other mineral foundations some of which made things worse), a few years ago I found this awesome mineral foundation from Meow Cosmetics, its about as pure and natural as you can get (4-5 ingredients only). I noticed a difference about 4 days after using it, and my break-outs were gone within one week. The website is not very flashy but I seriously won’t and haven’t used anything else since I found this stuff.

• Adele

August 27, 2009 | Reply

I love love jane iredale! (:

• TERI REES WANG

August 27, 2009 | Reply

Bare Minerals cakes on pretty thick.

There are a lot of great mineral lines, both boutique and pharmacy, that show up much lighter, and still offer up enough coverage for a sun screen.

All mineral make-up is a challenge in photos because it reflects so much light.

• The Traveling Circus

August 27, 2009 | Reply

I use loose powder from clinique.
    it feels so good on my skin, like in not wearing anything, and covers very well.
    a few weeks ago i used my old powder and realized why the clinique one was better

• down and out chic

August 27, 2009 | Reply

this is really good to know maegan. i’ve been thinking about switching up from bare minerals b/c i just don’t feel like my skin looks as healthy, i just don’t know if it’s related. thanks for the heads up though.

• caroline

August 28, 2009 | Reply

omg, i totally have this problem! i just washed my brushes because i thought they were dirty and irritating me! i’m going to look for a new product! thanks for the heads up!
    ps. i LOVE your blog!
    xox
    c

• Hanako66

August 31, 2009 | Reply

I recently switched to the matte BE and am in love! I am super shiny in the summer and it looks soooo much better!

January 22, 2010 | Reply

I dont like bare escentials-bare minerals.. I did break out it it WAS due to the ingredients. Its not only bismuth, but all the fillers, that they put in their products. I use Tea Maria Minerals. It is actually pure, and my rocasea and the blemishes are gone. My face is flawless now and it is entirely due to Tea Maria. Their skin care is also natural and organic. I will continue with TM and wont look back.

January 22, 2010 | Reply

i did breakout some. i am 29 years old and i had to switch due to all the breakouts. once i did it was ok…did not breakout with new product.