Faux Quill // Peacock Feather Pencil DIY

DIY-gold-peacock-feather-pen-pencil-3

DIY-gold-peacock-feather-pen-pencil-4

DIY-gold-peacock-feather-pen-pencil-5

DIY-gold-peacock-feather-pen-pencil-6

DIY-gold-peacock-feather-pen-pencil-7

DIY-gold-peacock-feather-pen-pencil-10

Even though this DIY didn’t turn out as great as originally thought, the idea is great and I think paired with a cute notebook would make a great gift. Even if I never use it, I’ll get to enjoy the peacock feathers on my desk in my pen jar …and that’s enough for me. Lol.

DIY-gold-peacock-feather-pen-pencil-9

*I’m pretty sure one of you can come up with a better technique to achieve this goal …so go do it …and Have Fun!

LA native & lifestyle blogger Maegan Tintari writes daily at ...love Maegan.com sharing beauty & style secrets, including fashion DIYs, how-to nail art manicures, hair tutorials, recipes & home decorating ideas, as well as a look into her personal life, her journey & battle with infertility & recent relocation to the mountains by a lake in search of a better life with her adorable French Bulldog brothers, Trevor and Randy.

• Holly

December 7, 2009 | Reply

not all DIYs work out the same, but i wouldnt call this a fail at all! sometimes its just fun to keep busy

• Christina

December 7, 2009 | Reply

What I love is that even though you weren’t 100% happy with the result, you still shared it. For a mere mortal like me, it’s good to know I’m not the only one who occasionally feels like something flops. 😉

But STILL looks good.

December 7, 2009 | Reply

i think it is LOVELY!!!!!

• Iva

December 7, 2009 | Reply

I think its MAGNIFICENT!! 😉

• Comsat Keith

December 7, 2009 | Reply

Hey, nice idea Maegan and it looks lovely! I might just give that a go as a Christmas gift for a girl I know. I’m sure she’d like a lumpy gold peacock-pencil. Oh, did I say lumpy? Well hey, you said it first! Anyway, it doesn’t look that lumpy. First I’m going to need a few peacock feathers though. Er… I suppose I could try the local zoo? But no, the John Lewis store may be a better bet, and I think I’d be less likely to get a nasty pecking there, which would be a definite plus. I think I’d probably take your hint and keep the taping to just the top of the pencil. Also, maybe I’d cover the taping with something other than paint, as long as the pencil looks smart enough. That’s partly to save me having to buy a whole tin of paint just for this one job, and partly because I’d be worried the paint might rub off on her fingers, which might not impress her so much! Anyway, if I do make a peacock-pencil I’ll let you know! Great work on your guide by the way; excellent clear photos and beautiful captioned layout. I know these things take time and effort.

PS: By coincidence I was just busy adding a comment to an older post of yours. I don’t know if you get notified of comments on old posts (I hope so), but it was for that completely gorgeous vintage teal dress outfit you work back on October 15th. In which you looked entirely dreamy! 🙂

• Shiriously

December 7, 2009 | Reply

This may have just taken care of a couple gifts. Thanks for sharing!

• ~Mrs. Guru~

December 7, 2009 | Reply

Love it!

• Underfunded Heiress

December 7, 2009 | Reply

So cute! You’re so creative. I just did a DIY for a table and it’s so fun!

• Kara

December 7, 2009 | Reply

Lurve! I use spray paint a lot for my crafts and I always paint things using a stray shopping cart as my painting platform. It’s the handiest – no newspaper waste, nothing sticks to it and I can reach all angles!

• Pretty Little World

December 7, 2009 | Reply

This is totally fun! This would make a great gift and it would be really easy to change a bit depending on whom you’re giving it to!

• NicholeCamarillo.com

SUPER cute idea. I love peacock feathers. Thanks! 🙂

• Marce

December 8, 2009 | Reply

This is such a gorgeous idea! Totally glam quill, I’ll stick to the one for me, one for you rule here!
    XO

• Jacqueline

December 8, 2009 | Reply

I don’t think this is a fail. I love it and I adore peacock feathers. Stop being so hard on yourself Maegan =)

• Meghan

December 8, 2009 | Reply

Oh my gosh, I love anything and everything feathers! Awesome!

• Summer

Love it!

You should link up to the Holiday How To’s on my blog. =)

• Zitu

Love it!!!!Cool!!!

• Annie Spandex

December 8, 2009 | Reply

It looks great! The bumps are wabi sabi. Would make a great gift.

• Idy

I like!

• yolanda

December 8, 2009 | Reply

Hello, I have just discovered your blog and I actually love it, you are welcome to visit the mine (ahhhlaladeco.blogspot.com), and if you like, you could put my blog in your blog-roll , and please feel free to make any coments or suggestions.
    Have a good day

• My Book Style

December 8, 2009 | Reply

good idea megan! i like your new pencil…

xoxo

• Fergster

December 8, 2009 | Reply

Megan, I have been a follower for awhile now. I just had to leave a comment (finally). You are so wonderful, creative & great! Your DIYs are great gift ideas. Thank you so much for sharing! If I could hug you, I would give you a huge Bear Hug! lol

• Kris

December 8, 2009 | Reply

I did something similar for my wedding except I used gold ribbon and hot glued it at the top, wrapped it around, and then put a dap of hot glue at the bottom.

• Beta

December 8, 2009 | Reply

I’m a brzilian fan!! I LOVE you blog and you’re so gorgeous!

xoxo
    Beta

• diane

December 8, 2009 | Reply

I love your humility in this post. Instead of being all “this is so effing great, didn’t I do it perfectly” you were rocking the holiday spirit with “now go do this better than me”. I heart you. xo

• Hanako66

December 8, 2009 | Reply

i think it’s cute…what a great idea! i had dog eared one in a magazine that was like $10 that i thought would make great gifts….way more cost effective!

• The Starving Stylist

• so Spiffy

December 9, 2009 | Reply

Well.. you know what.. that is kinda sexy cool for a pen!!! Watcha doing for xmas?

• Lorena

December 9, 2009 | Reply

YAY! The best part is that you can use it to put up your hair !

• [email protected]ettything.com

December 15, 2009 | Reply

Well I think this is FABULOUS and so much fun! Thanks tons, I’ll be linking.

• TigerGraphic

December 25, 2009 | Reply

I love your DIY´s!

• Gillian

January 10, 2010 | Reply

You are crafty? Who would have thunk it?

Anxiety sucks…I’ve read some of your posts. Meditation helps me.
    🙂
    xo

• One Creative Queen

June 17, 2013 | Reply

So me thinks this is totally NOT a fail – because it’s a couple of years later and I’m reading the post, impressed with your awesomeness! I like your idea and am going to use it. Great photos, clear instructions, adorable outcome…what else do you need to make a fantastic tutorial? Notta. Great job!!