S is for : MY SHOWER SUCKS

There’s always something …like everything could be perfect but there’s just that one nagging thing that may or may not be a problem, a hassle, or just plain sucky. For us, it’s our shower.

At first sight, it was actually the entire bathroom situation but I quickly got used to the idea of a mostly brick main bathroom in the hallway and not in the master bedroom until I stepped into the shower for the first time and the water pressure was that of a leaky faucet.

leaky_faucet

. . .I honestly couldn’t feel the water on my head through my hair. I mean, I know I have a lot of hair but that was a first. What was surprising was that the faucet was literally touching my head …it was installed that low and still I couldn’t feel the water.

At my brother’s advice, I found a shower head with an extender arm …and a rain shower head at that. I kind of also assumed there was some sort of filter preventing said water from leaving said faucet and reaching said head.

So I bought this . . .

8"+Sunflower+Shower+Head+with+Extension+Arm+in+Chrome

. . . and my brother installed it and when installing he found there was no such pressure filter and what we had was just lame water pressure all the way around. However, the installation of this rain shower head not only raised it a foot so we weren’t bumping our heads on the faucet, but also spread out the water and actually made a big difference.

I was happy! It was glorious . . .

raindance_rainfall

. . . no, not this glorious

shower-tub_bPgXJ_1822

…but 100% better and a great solution. Now, I thought, we just have to figure out how to get more light in there so that shaving wasn’t a guessing game.

This morning, upon waking, I immediately went to the bathroom as usual, opened the shower door, reached in and turned the HOT water all the way on and shut the door. You see, not only do we have a pressure situation, we have a heat situation. It’s either HOT or COLD so it needs to start at HOT and add a little bit of cold …a little bit of cold until it’s just right.

I stepped in, arming my body as usual trying to avoid the steaming hot water …but um there was no water to avoid. Confused, I looked up to find only half of the rain shower head seemed to be allowing water to pass through it …and when I reached up to adjust it, water came spewing out the top, behind the faucet. Blerg. Back to square one.

Good thing my handy man brother is coming over for LOST tonight so he can FIX IT for me. ;)

julia fullerton-batten photography

or else I’ll be showering in the back yard with the hose

Share/Bookmark

• shea beth

February 16, 2010 | Reply

Haha I love this post! Taking showers is not about getting clean as much as it’s about washing the day away! The colors in your post were really beautiful!

• FELINE.

February 16, 2010 | Reply

the bathroom is my favorite room in the house! I always look forward to getting fresh and clean! :D

tip: put a radio in your bathroom! every shower is like a little party if you can dance/sing with it! (it doesnt matter if you suck, the door locks!) ;)

• Juliana

February 16, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Feline…you need a shower radio. We have a big screen TV that is the bedroom and you can see it from the tub. I turn it to the music stations and rock out in the shower…and then have calming music with my daily bubble bath—it makes everything so wonderful!

• Style (R)evolution

February 16, 2010 | Reply

Great post…. Very funny. Im loving that dual shower head picture. That looks divine :)

• Hope Chella

February 16, 2010 | Reply

This is funny! The pictures are great :)

• Jacqueline

Love the photos! xo

• Tamara Nicole

February 16, 2010 | Reply

Ha ha don’t you just love these funny quirks of a house? When I first moved in after we got married, I didn’t know that in one of the bathrooms the normal hot=cold and vise versa. Ouch!!! Hope you get it all figured, and enjoy Lost!!!

• Nicole Leigh

February 16, 2010 | Reply

i hate my shower! it’s always cold! I shower with it all the way to hot and it is hot for 5 mins and then turns lukewarm. So frustrating. And my hairdresser is noticing my ends turning a little green, I guess I’m near well water? Ugh the Valley is killing me.

• DB

February 16, 2010 | Reply

TDFB (thank dog for brothers) I had the same exact shower fixture, Even after I have upgraded the emitter, I have saved and still use the arm. My SO is tall and he really appreciates it.

• ShellSpann

February 16, 2010 | Reply

We moved into a new place a couple of weeks ago and we’re having the SAME PROBLEM! The water pressure sucks and a new shower head didn’t help. Also, the water is either hot or cold, no in between! So annoying!

• Kellie

February 16, 2010 | Reply

That sucks and I totally feel your pain. We had the same issue when we first moved into our house. Luckily for us we did have a filter so the hubs removed it and we now have water pressure and a new shower head! Phew. Now we just need a new tub b/c it is disgusting!

• 6roove

lovely pics!

• Felicia

February 16, 2010 | Reply

New shower heads make all if difference! There may be residue clogging your pipe. You may be able to flush it out somehow? I know mine gets like that too and it stinks!

• Alexandra

February 16, 2010 | Reply

hi! I discovered your blog via Chicisimo and I love your style. I also have a frenchie in fact gives its name to my blog:)

I invite you to see my blog

A kiss

• manhandslizzie

February 16, 2010 | Reply

Aww, such a hassle. Hope your bro gets to fix the thing in between commercials. :)

• livex lighting

February 16, 2010 | Reply

now those are some great showers!!

• Elie's Papel

February 16, 2010 | Reply

I know the feeling when your shower is not the best… you should check out the ones from Speakman… those are the ones W uses…

• The818

February 17, 2010 | Reply

Hee hee…should I tell him he’s got work to do when we get there?

• Lisa Lisa Lisa

February 17, 2010 | Reply

Oh no! Excellent water pressure is a must!!! =)
    Good luck!!

• Casey

February 17, 2010 | Reply

haha!! This was too funny! I sure hope you get it all worked out. Showering outside might cause a slight traffic jam. ;)

• Iva

February 17, 2010 | Reply

I LOVE showers teehee!! and the water pressure totally does have to be just right. I’m the hot water hog in my house. I like it scorching hot, hot,hot. I know that’s pretty bad and drying for the skin ack. terrible. I hope you get more light in there ;) no shaving nicks please!!! OUCH! OUCH!! Have fun tonight with your fam! I hope your brother can fix it :) I want a handy brother…or just a brother in general LOL

• dancinginchiffon

lovely pics!

• Maeko

February 17, 2010 | Reply

I would kill for a rain showerhead, but I fear the green factor of these things… Is it low flow???

I know you’re a greenie…

And man, I would HATE having water issues.

Making me take notes for what to look for when I look at houses.

XOs
    Maeko ~ thereafterish.

• Lady Smaggle

February 17, 2010 | Reply

Hey love saw you in Australian Cleo today! In the DIY section that I regularly contribute to as well!

Can you buy that mag in the states? Let me know if you would like me to send you a copy.

my email is lady@smagglestyle.com

Very exciting to see you in an aussie mag!

• Chessa!

February 17, 2010 | Reply

ohno! I hope it gets resolved soon. thre’s nothing worse than a weak water pressure when all you want is a nice long shower.

• Christina

February 17, 2010 | Reply

Our old house had awful water pressure- we got a super-cheap “efficiency” faucet head from Home Depot. It’s designed to use way less water so it ends up being nicely high pressure even with crummy water pressure. Good Luck!

• Pretty Little World

February 17, 2010 | Reply

I’m sorry about your icky water pressure! But happy that you have a brother who can help you with it!

Good luck!

• kathleen

February 17, 2010 | Reply

Honestly, who do I have to sleep with to get a rain shower head? I kid, but – man – do I want one. I feel your pain. I have to kneel down in the shower to get my hair wet. Blek.

• Hanako66

February 17, 2010 | Reply

seriously, it is always something!