Chanel Resort 2011 Collection

Is it me or does much of the Chanel 2011 Resort collection look like Lagerfeld rummaged through a thrift shop & called it a day? It’s not that I hate it because I would buy these vintage looks from a thrift shop in a heartbeat and wear them tomorrow …but don’t try to sell me unflattering 7$ pants from the 70′s for Chanel prices.

Picture 5

Picture 3

. . . and really, what is this? From a fashion blogger or regular woman walking down the street I find it totally acceptable …but on a Chanel runway? Really?

I must admit that many of the flowy floral frocks were quite pretty as well as the nude numbers but I guess I just expect more from certain designers …and this whole collection seems like a cop-out.

I do, however, like the use of healthier looking models …even if they do consider a size 6 “plus size”. I’m noticing more curvy models with womanly figures in lieu of the stick/boy-body in magazines lately as well and besides the times echoing those of the 90′s, I credit all of us fashion bloggers for it. Thoughts?

Photos via Style.com

Share/Bookmark

• Angela

May 16, 2010 | Reply

Wow. Ummm… what the heck? When I saw that last photo I honestly thought it was a joke. Maybe that was thrown in to see if we’re really paying attention? I was shocked to see the heavy tweed with fringe edges. There just wasn’t much original to this collection. Given, there’s nothing new under the sun. But, if we wait enough years it SEEMS new. Chanel hasn’t waited long enough to make that true of a faded denim mini and stuffy shrunken cardi. (But I did LOVE the cognac knee high boots. Yummy. Those can make nearly anything look good.)

• Sassi

May 16, 2010 | Reply

I really do like the first outfit. but the second one isn’t so amazing…
    X

• Dr M.

Hi Maegan,

I really like seeing the ‘normal’ sized women on the catwalks, but what really really really bugs me is that size 6 is not plus size! A size size women (like Crystal) is still lean, not stick figure lean, but still lean. When people say plus size, I immediately think of Beth Dito or Dawn Fraser, not a slender curvy women.

-M

P.S. Love your blog, you’re incredibly inspirational and I love your DIYs.

• nuheila

May 16, 2010 | Reply

When i saw this collection i felt like i’ve seen all of it on the blogs ;) But i liked it,especially the caftans,some of the bags and a funny sandals,i remember my mother used similar at 70′s.For me it’s just inspirational i’ll never buy anything from Chanel which actually looks second hand stuff.
    About the models-i m happy to see more normal girls on the catwalks and the magazines.They still could be more bigger.
    Did i wrote all of this?The longest comment i’ve leeve to the blogs :)

Have a wonderful sunday Maegan!

Nuheila

May 16, 2010 | Reply

You’re absolutely right saying anybody could have put those outfits together without much thinking…
    Crystal Renn maybe one of those who look more like a real woman but I still feel the urgent need to feed them fried chicken.

You and your blog are amazing.

• Violet

May 16, 2010 | Reply

hahah i agree with you about expecting more from a designer… its as if he was burnt out from working and thought he would give give 70s vintage a try and

XX
    Vi from Cali

• Leia

May 16, 2010 | Reply

Chanel used to be about elegance, sophistication, luxury. What’s happened? Maybe it’s time to ditch Evil Karl and get a new designer who understands the true essence of Chanel!

• ronelmarin.net

May 16, 2010 | Reply

wow such a awesome photos..:)

• dreamylacey

May 16, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you! it is nice but it lack the class and allure of chanel.
    regarding the models, it is a step forward especially for a show run by Karl lagarfeld!

• Tiana

May 16, 2010 | Reply

Wait a cotton pickin’ minute! Clearly Karl’s publicist got the better of him, because just last year he was bashing “full-figured” models!!

“No one wants to see curvy women. You’ve got fat mothers with their bags of chips sitting in front of the television and saying that thin models are ugly.”
    -Karl Lagerfeld, Focus magazine interview

What does he have to say about it now?

May 16, 2010 | Reply

I like many of the trends/styles. Like #63 or #64 (will have to re-look) hairstyle/bangs. Some of the skirts are too short for me without leggings/tights. I always like to see more average and/or less stick-thin models, who don’t look very healthy. All in all, we can get some great ideas/trends from this show at more reasonable prices, I hope! Thanks, Maegan!

• Frances

May 16, 2010 | Reply

I don’t pay much attention to the run-way looks. They’re impractical for every day life and frankly aren’t made for people that are larger than a size 2.

• Tinja

May 16, 2010 | Reply

when i saw the last pic what i saw was this really “normal”, wearable outfit which is quite unusual on the catwalks. and the cardigan is on somehow marc by marc jacobs to me, not chanel, and defenitaly not the denim skirt! anyone could pull off that outfit. the boots are really great, but this look isn’t chanel to me… curvy women are hot!

• Kathryn

May 16, 2010 | Reply

I’m with you – it is very disappointing of a Chanel collection. I am all for thrift store re-dos, but I don’t want to see it in a Chanel collection.

When you think Chanel, you think of something classic with a touch of individuality that is an investment in your wardrobe. It should be something you can wear in years to come and not look like you stuck in a time warp.

The items you have posted are bo-ho retro chic and have a very dated look and look ill fitting. The cardigan in the last photo looks like a Mom’s plus sized sweater that was washed in hot water and shrunk a bit and she passed it down to her daughter to wear. You could go to your local thrift store and get a similar outfits for under $30.

Maybe is time for Chanel to get a new head designer.

• coco

May 16, 2010 | Reply

The second look is pretty blah but I think that’s just the styling. I like the first look though. I wouldn’t wear the trousers but they’re cool on the runway.

• Asdis Lilja

May 16, 2010 | Reply

I just want to say that I really love your blog Maegan!

Now onto my comment. I personally would never buy a denim skirt from Chanel even if I had the money. I like Chanel and own a necklace from them ( that cost a LOT of money ) but I bought it because Chanel is supposed to be elegant and timeless, an “investment”.

• gerbdesign

May 16, 2010 | Reply

I really enjoy reading your blog. :) you have fantastic ideas and a really great eye! I think that the outfits are ridiculous for Chanel! I mean if they trying to portray the dying economy, they hit it on the head, but I think there could have been more original ways to interpret society.

• SabinePsynopsis

May 16, 2010 | Reply

I have to admit I was a bit irritated, too. It all seems thrown together and not very flattering at all. So un-Chanel!

• angie

May 16, 2010 | Reply

a hot mess, is all I can say. Especially the last look…awful.

• Faded

May 16, 2010 | Reply

Oh, I can’t believe you caught that last little number either!!! It looks like something I would have tried to sneak out of the house in when I was in the 8th grade circa 1987~late 80′s streetwalker garb. Love your site, you are the new renaissance for unabashed femininity!

• Style, She Wrote

May 16, 2010 | Reply

Yuck! That denim skirt boot combo is AWFUL. I agree – totally uninspired. Though there were some good looks from that collection; I guess designer’s can only create so much!

• A.Co

May 16, 2010 | Reply

Good call on the thrift store – ha! I totally agree.

YAYYYY for ‘plus size’ (riiiight) models. It IS better than stix. It’s improvement, for sure.

Now let’s all go eat some chocolate and feel better about ourselves ;)

A.Co @ A.Co est. 1984

May 16, 2010 | Reply

Yes, let’s all have a chocolate bar right now! (It is supposed to be healthy, too!) Come to think of it, I knew/know quite a few elderly (85++) people who have always loved their chocolates!

• 406 Olivia

May 17, 2010 | Reply

I too am grateful to see larger models, but let’s get real: As of last year, the average woman was a size 14! (Read more here:

And not that anyone SHOULD wear either of those inexcusable outfits, but those looks aren’t even in the same galaxy as the average-sized woman. Can you imagine a size 14 woman trying to wear something like that?!

(And just FYI, I’m below average in the size dept…)

• Schnelle Couture

May 17, 2010 | Reply

wow you’re right about the thrift store. it looks like everything is stretched out and it doesn’t fit right at all. those pants are really terrible looking too. A tweed jacket with a metallic bathing suit top? yea, thats practical. lol.

• JKreids

May 17, 2010 | Reply

Ew.
    Hideous.
    Somethings should stay in the past — like denim skirts. Those are almost never flattering.

p.s. size 6 is BEAUTIFUL. My body likes it here.

• Brianna!

May 17, 2010 | Reply

I passed a BLOG AWARD on to you.
    Check it out on my blog.

xoxo
    bB

• J.

May 18, 2010 | Reply

You definitely have a point…

• Wanderlusting

May 19, 2010 | Reply

Yeah for the “plus sized” model (Crystal Renn)!

Boo to the actual collection!

THAT SAID, Crystal Renn is a size 12!!! Not a 6! Check the latest issue of Glamour.

However, I would be more inclined to believe she’s a six because I AM A SIX and yet she still looks in better shape than I haha. Size 12 my ASS ( no really.. my ASS is bigger than she is :P )

Still… I wouldn’t wear that, Chanel or not.