Hem Gems are JEANIUS!

Like the many amazing things I find via the internet, I’m not sure how I happened upon Hem Gems. Maybe I received an email. Maybe I searched for something and they popped up on my radar. Regardless, the point is, I found them …and they are literally JEANIUS!

I got so excited about them I tweeted and stumbled and tweeted again and because of my enthusiasm, the lovely ladies of Hem Gems sent me a pair of my choice! {I chose the simple & classic gold/brass rivet but the studs are equally as cute and for $19.99 for 8 -in a pack, it’s worth it to buy both styles}

Here’s how . . . look. how. simple.

Picture 5, hem gems, jeans, customizing jeans, denim, temporary tailoring, hem your jeans, wear your jeans with heels or flats

Picture 6

Picture 7

Why didn’t I come up with this?

While I love ridiculously long jeans and buy ridiculously high shoes just to wear with them {because let’s be honest, they make my legs look longer, and I like that} I have friends who have to take every single pair of jeans they buy to the tailor to have them shortened. When buying ridiculously priced jeans in the first place, the last thing you want to do is spend another $10-$20 on tailoring them and have to wait to wear them, right? {I do stand by the fact that higher priced “designer” jeans do fit better and last longer and if you buy a classic style, you will wear them for years, thus worth every penny} I digress. The point here is if I typically buy a pair of jeans to wear with heels, I can’t wear them with flats without dragging them on the ground, ruing their nice hem. Or, I tuck them under or cuff them up. Sometimes I like the cuffed look, but sometimes I just want them shorter. And today, when fashion is all about showing off your shoes & cropped/ankle jeans are all the rage, Hem Gems make it so that you don’t have to buy a new pair to get that look. . . . I even think these would work at keeping “pegged” jeans in place.

This 30 second video makes it look even easier!

Share/Bookmark

• K.Line

June 26, 2010 | Reply

srsly, I don’t know why you didn’t come up with this. It is so your kind of creative thing! And I’m very intrigued. I’m one of those hemmers (at 5’3″) of the $$ jeans. I don’t know if I love the look so I’d really appreciate it if you could show us what they look like on your jeans.

• Amber

June 26, 2010 | Reply

I swear I tweeted you about buying them earlier today before I saw this post lol! I remembered seeing your tweet and decided to give them a try. I’m actually going to try using them to shorten a dress a bit so I can wear it with jeans as a top too. Thanks again for the link!

• Fashion Butter

June 26, 2010 | Reply

Right!?!? I saw them online somewhere yesterday and seemed like the answer to my prayers

• Shamini

wonderful idea!!!
    wow!
    thanks a lot… i was to cut a pair of jeans!!
    kisses

• holly in heels

June 26, 2010 | Reply

Love it! I’m doing a Hem Gems giveaway on my blog right now!
    xoxo,

• dreamylacey

June 26, 2010 | Reply

that is indeed a very good idea!!! I hope it holds the jeans well!

• Patricia

June 26, 2010 | Reply

I always have to deal with jeans that are too long being 5’4 where they use to get so torn up if I didn’t. great idea!

• Mademoiselle Frou-Frou

June 26, 2010 | Reply

i hope you show an example of your jeans soon…i need a real life view of them! can’t wait to see it!
    xox alison

• Closet Fashionista

Awesome! I need some of those :D

• Felicia

June 26, 2010 | Reply

WOW, what a great idea! I have the hardest time trying to find good jeans that fit at a reasonable price. Shopping for them often becomes irritating and frustrating.

• Chloe

June 26, 2010 | Reply

Oh hello- NEED! I’m a shortie that has too many pairs of jeans waiting to be hemmed up in my closet, so I think I might need to add these to my wardrobe. What a great idea!

• Nickie Frye

June 26, 2010 | Reply

Wait, so they aren’t permanent? That IS brilliant! I hem my own jeans using a similar method. Fold them up the same way you’ve shown, then just stitch em w/ a thread that blends into the color of the jeans. I always cut the excess out though & I zig zag the fabric on the inside to keep it from fraying. It looks great, but it’s permanent.

• Lorena

June 26, 2010 | Reply

Very clever…. ha I dont have to staple my jeans any more—

June 26, 2010 | Reply

OMG………THANK YOU for this great product………..I just bought a pair of crop/capris (whatever) last week that “bell out” slightly at the hemline, and had been thinking of ever so slightly reducing the “bell” at the bottom. (But couldn’t think of an actual way.) This will be perfect. Also, I have noticed just one rivet (or whatever) on the side of pant/leggings a few inches from hemline. This would be great, and we can remove for laundering.

• Andi

June 26, 2010 | Reply

These are amazing! Thank you so much for posting this! I am one of those who takes regular visits to the tailor for the ‘tricky hem,’ which is like $30 a pop. This is seriously a lifesaver! thanks!!!!

• ~alison

June 27, 2010 | Reply

Awesome! I could TOTALLY use these. I have to shorten most of my pants and this is perfect for when I can wear them with high shoes and then with sneeks….or whatever flat shoe. Kick Ass.

• Kez

June 27, 2010 | Reply

OH MY GOSH. These would CHANGE my life!!!!! I’m a shorty so I am ALWAYS having to get my jeans etc altered! I also hate sewing (sorry) so that would be AMAZING!!!!
    Totally in love.

• Katie

June 27, 2010 | Reply

Oooh love this idea. Thanks for sharing!!

• Leigh

June 27, 2010 | Reply

ok, brilliant!

• StuddedLilly

June 27, 2010 | Reply

this is super cool! i have such headache while shopping for jeans in the perfect length(most of them are longer than i would like them to be)thanks for sharing it!
    xxjess

• Carol

June 27, 2010 | Reply

Yes and yes.

• CHEARLY

June 27, 2010 | Reply

I love them! The perfect solutin for my jeans! Must have.

• babyxswts5

June 27, 2010 | Reply

Omg, this is such a brilliant idea! No more hemming!
    -Vanessa

• Karisa Tells All

June 28, 2010 | Reply

Wow, those really are jeanius! I’m glad I’m not the only one who has to hem all of her pants!

• Nicole

June 28, 2010 | Reply

Love the silver pyramid stud ones!! I agree that buying more expensive jeans is better, they fit so well and definitely last longer. But at 5’3, I’m always having to get mine tailored for flats, and having a second pair to wear with heels. These will be awesome! So much better than the hem tape that’s out there.

• Rasha

June 28, 2010 | Reply

I bought a pair of jeans yesterday… They are too long, I need these!

• DailyRunway (Caroline)

June 28, 2010 | Reply

oh that’s me! I take EVERY pair of jeans to the tailor and pay another $20 to get them hemmed. LOVE this! thanks!

• wendy

June 29, 2010 | Reply

OMG this is so perfect for me!! I’m so short that this is like heaven sent to me! Thanks for sharing

Visit me at Collective Junkie

• panachebyerin

June 29, 2010 | Reply

OMG! Thank you so much for posting this! I immediately went and emailed the creators of these to see about carrying them in my boutique!! I am always looking for new, fun, life-changing fashion items!

• MizzJ

June 30, 2010 | Reply

Genius!! I’ve tried another similar product before only theirs used double-sided tape and it didn’t work nearly so well as this one. Plus I bet they will expand eventually into different styles of gems? ;) Hmm, do you think this would work to hem almost a foot off though b/c that’s what I usually have to get hemmed off of my jeans :(