A Few New Details Around The House

Last weekend I found a hydrangea bush with full white blooms on the side of our house. It’s the side of the house I don’t frequent often so I hadn’t noticed it. The last time I was over there it was just a bush of green leaves I didn’t pay much attention to …but since my discovery I think I’ve been back 3 times cutting more blooms off. I figure why not enjoy them in the house? …even if my snipping sends it back to drab green bushery, no one sees it anyway. They last quite a while in water and are so full you really only need one or two to fill a vase.

In the Master Bedroom:
In my Kate Spade decanter …a wedding gift I’ve used as a vase since opening

hydrangeas+Kate Spade decanter+bedroom

On the Dining Room Table:
In an old Pottery Barn glass vase {found at a thrift shop} on an Octagon Mirror Tray

hydrangeas+glass vase+dining room

In the Kitchen:
In an antique {1949} MWF Ikora silverplate vase that was my grandma’s {WOW just found one on Ebay listed for $129 – man I love the internet}

hydrangeas in vintage vase -kitchen

And in the Brick & Blue Beach Bathroom:
In a small fishbowl style vase with river rocks at the bottom.

brick beach bathroom counter and sink+bathroom decor details ideas+hydrangeas

My mom gave me these two lovely blue ceramic bamboo rectangle trays for my birthday and they’ve been sitting on my kitchen counter ever since. I’m not sure why I didn’t think of using them in the bathroom sooner …maybe because they’re not typically “beachy” but the watery blue glaze is a perfect match and I love them on the counter keeping everything in place.

On both trays I’ve used old and original L’Occitane soaps & creams because I just love the way the packaging looks in this bathroom. A shell might be a nice touch but for now I’m loving my silver Tiffany lock necklace and old tarnished pewter trinket holder as a finishing touches …and if you can’t tell, I’m all about groupings of 3′s.

brick beach bathroom+hydrangeas+l'occitane soap+bamboo trays+bathroom decor details

brick beach bathroom decor+bamboo tray+soap+loccitane lotion

A few other details:
I’m really enjoying the new leafy palms in the backyard …and not just when I’m in the backyard but when I open the shutters every morning in our master bedroom. They really add that tropical vacation-y feel I was searching for. Though I’m still yearning for more larger leafy banana plants out there. I only wonder if they’ll be able to take the summer heat.

Bedroom Window+Barclay Butera Pillows+Palms+blue and white floral print+overcast day  Bedroom Window+Barclay Butera Pillows+Palms+blue and white floral print+faux coral

And last but absolutely not least:
My new-ish Jonathan Adler greek key frame {it’s really only new because I FINALLY put a photo in it} and my “Totally Gay” framed needlepoint from Giddie Girly Etsy Shop which I originally found on Flickr, Tweeted, emailed {because I thought it was sold out} and had to buy because it was just too funny not to. I absolutely love it …both sitting on a shelf on our 6′x 6′ Expedit bookcase/room divider from Ikea {dividing our living room & game room which I haven’t really documented yet -but you can see partially here} I finally built last weekend. We had the 5′x 5′ version there originally but it wasn’t large enough …it is now in the guest room holding our ridiculously large DVD collection.

Jonathan Adler frame+Totally Gay needlepoint

If you were to ask my husband, he would say that absolutely the house is done …and I would say it’s not even close. Each room is still in the initial stages and needs the details to bring it together. Even when I think a room is complete, like the bathroom, there’s always room for improvement. I love that it’s a work in progress because it could really go on forever, thus keeping me eternally busy.

• Addict

July 8, 2010 | Reply

I love the bamboo trays and the L’Occitane soaps’ packaging!

• Black is the New Black

July 8, 2010 | Reply

so beautiful!! I esp love the silver vase

• esdelope

July 8, 2010 | Reply

What an awesome find! I am struggling in redecorating right now because I just want to finish everything immediately. It’s hard to stay focused!

Becca

• The Fac Couture

July 8, 2010 | Reply

I’m actually doing up my new place now too…so many things to do indeed! A lot of details i agree with you…I’m also having fun with running my blog n do marketing in the daytime so lotsa stuff going on for me!

Check me out at http://www.thefaccouture@blogspot.com!!

xoxo,
    JN

• isabeltheconquistador

July 8, 2010 | Reply

Ahahaha, the ‘totally gay’ just makes me laugh. The little details in your house are absolutely beautiful! I can’t wait to see what you do next.

• RaceforProsperity

July 8, 2010 | Reply

o my goodness i’m in love with your brick sink, i’ve never seen that before!

• The Pittman's

July 8, 2010 | Reply

I live in East TX where it’s effing hot and a little humid and my outdoor banana plants seem to do well. They do get a little shade during the day and we seem to get more rain than most of the rest of the state so I’m sure yours would do just fine.

• anhesty

July 8, 2010 | Reply

i love it all. great details! i need to take more pics of my home details as well.

• Maki

July 8, 2010 | Reply

I LOVE Hydrangea – they look soo pretty in your pretty rooms. I believe fresh flowers are so much better than silk flowers and looking at your pics only reinforced such feelings. Pretty pretty!

xoxo

• Lexy

July 8, 2010 | Reply

I love everything! Especially the greek key frame. And your bedroom looks so serene. Reminds me of a Miami resort! HOT! I am totally stealing this idea and doing a home post soon. :)

• freeteyme

July 8, 2010 | Reply

very summer and fresh! love the blue trays in the bathroom!

• Patricia

July 8, 2010 | Reply

all the touches are so great, your hubby must be thrilled his house can look so nice without having to hire someone!

• J-Diggety

July 8, 2010 | Reply

Man, I just love love love your house, esp the master bedroom, the brick bathroom and the pool/patio area… I’m obsessed with the Mediterranean, and your decor totally suits me. Remind me where you got your master bedroom blue and white bedding? I think I might try to find some for my own bedroom, to at least pretend I’m blissfully sleeping in the Med somewhere… ;)
    xoxo J

• esther

Maegan
    I tottally love what you have been doing with the place, i am in the same stages at decorating my house, i wish we could go shopping together :D

• J-Diggety

July 8, 2010 | Reply

Okay, ignore my last question… I found the C&B link in your master bedroom post from March ;)
    xoxo J

• anhesty

July 8, 2010 | Reply

yes i am with you. i want to get it all done ASAP! its been a lil over a yr since i have been in my new house. and moving slower than snails. i need more money! lol

• LifestyleBohemia

July 8, 2010 | Reply

I love the trays, especially the octagon mirror tray. You did a great job accessorizing your home!

you are totally gay.

JUST KIDDING!!!

you are so funny. and your place looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moosette

July 8, 2010 | Reply

I would die for a hydrengia bush! Love fresh flowers in my home at all times! love your bathroom counter decor!

• The Seeker

Beautiful details!!
    I’m remodeling my home, and yes, it’s a work in progress :-)

xoxo

• Mackenzie {Design Darling}

July 8, 2010 | Reply

i LOVE your grandma’s antique vase — thanks for the link to the ebay option!!! beautiful flowers too :)

• Savvy Gal

July 8, 2010 | Reply

so pretty. i love to arrange them with cream color roses. btw, i love love l’occitane soap in verbena and rose.

July 8, 2010 | Reply

WHAT A COINCIDENCE!! Just a couple of days ago, I went around the side of the house, and “found” two potted hydrangeas in WHITE!! (They were always pink or blue or violet) I had neglected them because of our dull fall/winter. I was very surprised to see WHITE hydrangeas! Anyway, I also have them in a vase in the living room. Also, I continue to love your brick bathroom. A couple of months ago (or so) I asked a contractor about facing the front of the house with sheets of brick facing. He said it is a great idea. I have always loved the brick look, as my elementary school was a beautiful perfect brick building. Well, enough of all of this! This week “flew” by, so have a great weekend!!

• Pretty Little World

July 9, 2010 | Reply

I love when you post photos of your house – it always looks amazing, like, magazine ready amazing.

Hydrangeas are one of my favorite flowers – I do wish that they’d keep a little longer after being cut.

• Veronika

July 9, 2010 | Reply

you’re like me- the house is never done! I am all about continuing to work on our house, even though H thinks it’s way done. there’s always room for improvement!

• Jen of Made By Girl

July 9, 2010 | Reply

How PRETTY…Ha! I love your sense of humor. :P
    OXOX!!!!

• Schnelle Couture

July 9, 2010 | Reply

your home is gorgeous! i love your vases especially the vintage one that was your grandmother’s.
    i feel the same way- no room can ever be “done” theres always room for small finishing touches.

• anotherfishinthesea

July 9, 2010 | Reply

I love hydrangeas and these look fabulous!! I love seeing all the updates as you make your house beauittiful.

• isabelle

July 9, 2010 | Reply

haha LOVE the totally gay frame. I want one!

mlle isabelle

• Angela

July 9, 2010 | Reply

Hydrangeas are one of my absolute favs. Did you know they also dry very well? They fade a bit, but keep their shape. Did you also know you can change their color by changing the acidity/alkalinity of the soil? You can google it. The range of the color you can achieve depends on the type of hydrangea you have, though. (I sound like a total nerd.)

• stacy

July 10, 2010 | Reply

‘totally gay’ – my fave!

• Shannon

July 10, 2010 | Reply

Maegan!

Your decorating style is so inspirational (almost as much so as your personal style)! You have done so much with so little! Personally, I think that being in a fixer-upper forces you to get creative and is more satisfying than buying a move-in ready house. It’s seriously making me want to buy my own house at 19…

Keep it up! I love your site (as you probably already know!)

MUCHlove,
    Shannon @

• Ollie Crafoord

July 12, 2010 | Reply

That bathroom sink is lovely!

• Chessa!

July 12, 2010 | Reply

the devil is indeed in the details. I love everything so far. it looks awesome and I can’t wait to see more! I feel like a house or apt are never really “done” – there’s always a little something else that can be added.

• la reina cotilla

July 18, 2010 | Reply

Hello Maegan, I love Hydrangeas, they´re so pretty, my grandmother has a lot in blue and pink colour, but where I live doesn´t grow up because the extreme hot of Spanish summer. I just sent you a picture of my grandmo’s

• josephine

January 26, 2011 | Reply

pretty! love the color combo