Frownies. Better than Botox?

frownies+sunglasses+robe+red lips+pp

When I was young I truly thought lines and wrinkles that accumulated on women’s faces were signs of a life well-lived. With every crease there represented a memory of fun & happiness, or hardship & sorrow and each were to be looked upon as beautiful, graceful, & well-earned. I thought a woman should be proud of her lines as if they were a map to her life, age gracefully, fully accepting each line and wrinkle that she created. I thought that’s how I’d be.

But now that I’m at the age when the lines on my own face are deepening and getting a little too comfortable there, I’m admittedly having a hard time feeling the same way I did when I was a soft & smooth-skinned youth.

Since I smoked cigarettes for a solid 12 years of my life, had addiction to Coffee Bean’s unbelievable ice-blended mochas that I sucked down through a straw every morning for at least 5 years, and continue to drink out of water bottles on a daily basis, I’m expecting and possibly accepting the little lines that will soon surround my lips. I don’t have too much hate for happy laugh lines and I’d always figured that once my forehead lines become too much of an eyesore I’d just cut bangs to cover them. But what I am terribly afraid of, what I am seemingly having the most difficult time accepting is the thought of the dreaded 11′s in between my eyes. The thought of looking upset or angry for the rest of my life just doesn’t sit well. I don’t have two yet but I do have one that’s forming and not only that, when I’m focusing or anxious, the area around it gets red and stands out even more.

I’ve brought up Botox injections here and there to my husband because I figure if I could freeze the muscles before they have a chance to create the lines, they will never be able to form. I’d be ahead of the game {or time, I suppose}. But my husband has a strict “Boobs & Noses Only” plastic surgery rule and continually tells me not to mess with my “Money Maker” …my face {which makes me laugh even as I type this}. That said, I have often thought that I could totally go do it and he would never ever know …but honestly, I’m scared out of my mind at the thought of injecting poison into my face.

Growing up with a health nut mother lead me to taking various vitamins for my skin {E, Beta Carotene, Zinc} from about 14 to 24 years old hoping they were working from the inside out. They worked as well as the creams I would slather on my face I suppose but now, in my 30′s, for some reason my skin breaks out if I sleep in creams and I think after so many years of vitamins, my body has just had enough.

Needless to say I’ve been worried about the lines in between my eyes a lot lately. A downside to photographing yourself for your fashion blog is that you become very VERY aware of every single flaw {as if I wasn’t already} but the photographs don’t lie {sometimes they do} and I can see a difference from when I began 3 years ago and now. And I. Don’t. Like. It.

So last week when I was reading The Coveted and Jennine recommended Frownies I literally jumped for joy and my hand on mouse went directly to Amazon.comand bought two packs. When I met Jennine in person a few months ago for my Eat, Sleep, Denim feature do you know what I noticed {besides her gorgeous smile}? SHE HAD NO 11′s. None. No lines on her forehead at all. And that was enough to convince me that Frownies must work {or maybe she has amazing genes}.

better than botox+Frownies

erase your wrinkles+frownies

Today is literally the first day I’ve tried them {still wearing them between my eyes as I type this} so I can’t really give a review just yet but I will continue to wear them and let you know how they work out. I bought Frownies Forehead and Between Eyesand Frownies Corners of Eyes and Mouth about $14 for 144 patches

Wear them for a minimum of three hours or overnight when you sleep …they’re not only supposed to prevent future lines, they’re supposed to reverse the ones you may already have.

Brilliant.

On my way outside after my shower wearing only my LRL Spa Robe, Frownies, Chanel Rouge Allure lipstick {shade: 18 sexy} & my sunglasses …with my camera in hand, my husband looked at me and said “You’re gonna photograph yourself with those ON?!?!” …of course, I replied. It’s for my blog. {as if he didn’t know}

Share/Bookmark

• Alicia

You look so glamorous!

• bananas.

August 5, 2010 | Reply

F that! i want instant results!!! haha.

i’ve done dysport before (a botox alternative) and i loved it. lasts just as long but less expensive.

unlike your hubs, i’m anti-boob and nose jobs…but i’m all for freezing the face :)

(but i should add…too much botox is just freaky)

• Jennifer

August 5, 2010 | Reply

Let us know how they work! I may have to pick some up cuz I need to get rid of these lines too!

• holasoylulu

that sounds great!
    I would love you to tell us how it works after a week, a fortnight, a month and so on.
    I don´t have any wrinkles yet, but i domy best to prevent them from appearing!
    XoXo
    Lulu

• Amy

August 5, 2010 | Reply

I want Frownies too! I’m getting laugh lines around my eyes :( But I think it’s better than those long, jowly mouth-to-chin lines that bitchy/cranky women get!

(fyi: my word verification is “lardo”…omg!)

• Nickie Frye

August 5, 2010 | Reply

How do these work? It seems like wearing them when you are sleeping won’t be that effective since your face is already relaxed at that time.

• bananas.

August 5, 2010 | Reply

ps. i just realized how bitchy i sounded in my comment. sorry dude. i’m still very much curious to know how those work out.

• Jennifer (thelooksforless.com)

August 5, 2010 | Reply

my biggest flaw is under eye folds from massive eye bags when i smile!!! oh i just hate to smile now!!! i’ve started looking into Restaline, and i am terrified!!! a needle near my eye and getting something done to my face!!!! what if it doesnt work out??? i want it so bad tho :)

i’ve been wondering if you had ever considered botox, not that i think you need it, but i remember you blogging about the heidi klum line filler. so i’m happy you’ve blogged about your thoughts and fears on botox!!! i share the EXACT same thoughts and fears!!!

i consider sneaking and getting work done, behind my husbands back, but im afraid instead of a fill, i may get a puff where a line used to be, haha. so scared!!!

• Chicago Mom (Heather)

August 5, 2010 | Reply

Another thing to try is Retin-A. If your skin can handle it – it really does get rid of fine lines and some deeper ones.

August 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Maegs, I’m 53 and the 11′s just barely showed up last year for the first time. ( A testament to Estee Lauder’s serum!!) BUT I tried that Freeze 24/7 stuff in the blue jar(like spackling putty for the face only better as it has emollients to smoothe out the skin) and have virtually eliminated them to date. I don’t know if it will work for you, but my Mom is 78 and she uses it and her lines really deep at that age. I bought it for $24 online and figured if it works it works, if it doesn’t, then I’ll find something else. You can use it on crow’s feet, too around the eyes and those lines around the mouth. The Olay Regenersit micro sculpting cream & the Estee lauder serum- never too early or too late for both of those. I use that, Aveena mositurizers and cleansers, and the Freeze, and I have to say thatI could easily pass for 40. Don’t fret about lines & wrinkles. In Paris, a woman reaches a mark of distinction once she reaches a certain age. You are a beautiful woman, Maegan, inside & out. And after looking at pics of your Mom here, I wouldn’t say that you would have to worry about aging badly. ;) Good genes run in the family. Like Michelle Phillips, you will remain eternally the quintessential California girl. :)
    Luve, Rita

• Heather

This is great. haha.

• FASHION SNAG

August 5, 2010 | Reply

You still look young to me!

• *starr fish

August 5, 2010 | Reply

Love this post! I’m of a similar age and also am not too happy about my “11″. Keep us posted on how the Frownies work. If they do work, I’m all about trying them too. And you do look very glam in your robe, hair towel and sunnies! You go!

August 5, 2010 | Reply

I started to notice one forehead wrinkle and a 1 between my eyebrows. I have been using the Josie Maran argon oil and the facial sunblock and have noticed a marked difference!

• Drika Gaby

August 5, 2010 | Reply

Oi Maegan, eu também tomo vitaminas desde os meus 20 anos, vitamina A, B, C, entre outras, atualmente tomo só a vitamina C. Uso cremes diariamente no rosto e corpo, sou vaidosa, não fumo, não como carnes e evito bebidas alcóolicas, só bebo em festas ou algum evento. Tenho 35 anos e muitos dizem que pareço muito menos.Gostei da sua sugestão, depois mostra os possíveis resultados.Bjs Drika Gaby*

• Holly

August 5, 2010 | Reply

interesting! hope it works. and i love hearing about your husbands thoughts, so similar around here sometimes when it comes to things “for the blog” hah :)

• Fashion Butter

August 5, 2010 | Reply

I saw these on The Coveted and was intruged. Keep us posted!

• Nikki Aimee

August 5, 2010 | Reply

You look so HOLLYWOOD, darling…. :)

• Iva

August 5, 2010 | Reply

omg if this stuff works then I am buying it buy the carton ;) you look fabulous though as is!!!!

August 5, 2010 | Reply

Just my opinion: I don’t think it’s a good idea to use facial injections, as we don’t know the side effects that could happen (I hope not) many years from now. There are many actresses that have “puffy” cheeks, etc. I would say: “Wait”, for now. You are young, and by the time you feel you might need something, there could be a more safe alternative.

• Ronda

August 5, 2010 | Reply

I had to go order them! I have the little line btwn my eyes. Its actually worse when i wake up, i must sleep with my face all scrunched up and angry!

thanks
    ronda

August 5, 2010 | Reply

I waited until 41 till I tried botox, I kept it a deep, dark secret! I have to say, I liked the results, a nice smooth looking forehead, and possibly if I had started earlier, my forehead would be wrinkle free. I tried it about 4 times, the last time just on my “11′s”. It really does make a difference, and I don’t think there is anything wrong about wanting too look less stressed and more “zen”. But when the results wear off after about 4 months, you start to feel self-conscious that the lines are back. Though it’s true, they come back more softened because months of not being able to squint or frown causes less wrinkles to form in the future. I’m not sure why I stopped. I use a primer on the lines now, and it seems to temporarily fill them out. Plus, I gained about 5 pounds, and a plump face is a younger looking face :) I figure when I get crows feet, I may try it under my eyes, but if you read the articles recently, that can lead to “bunny wrinkles” around the nose like Nicole Kidman has..a true giveaway that you’re using botox, and who needs that. I use a dash of grape seed oil under my eyes and I think it keeps skin supple..and injection free!

• Clarissa

August 5, 2010 | Reply

Oh husbands!! Don’t they know what we need to do to stay beautiful? Thanks for trying them out! :D

• Ashley

August 5, 2010 | Reply

Oh, just get botox! I think it’s best to get it before you really *need* it and it will get rid of your concentration headaches as well.

I’ve had it and it’s so quick and painless, honestly. An eyebrow wax hurts more and takes longer. And your H will never notice.

• K.Line

August 6, 2010 | Reply

Well I’m older than you and totally anti-poison-injections (not that I judge people for doing their own thing). I have to say you are gorgeous glamorous (in the photo here, but also in real life). I’m with your husband on not messing with the money maker. You are truly great looking as is.

PS: Slather on the sunblock and stay out of the sun – that’ll do it.

August 6, 2010 | Reply

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

• Today Hilary...

August 6, 2010 | Reply

I’ll be waiting anxiously for your update. If they work, I’ll buy mine in bulk

• WendyB

August 6, 2010 | Reply

A) Love the picture, very Joan Crawford glam.
    B) I was just telling Jennine today that her 11s situation was great.
    C) Anyone who says they rejoice in seeing the signs of their own mortality on their face is lying or crazy.
    D) I cracked up about your Botox poison worry, considering all those years of smoking up poison! I guess you’re reformed ;-) But I do meet a lot of people who are crazy for yoga and organic food yet STILL smoke, so I’m used to being like, “What? You’re scared of a Frito but you’re filling your lungs with cancer?”

• Diana

August 6, 2010 | Reply

Well,I must say I have those 11′s. They came from great grief, but also some mind-blowing orgasms! So they’re not all that bad, lol.

• Tracy @ The Wardrobe Wanderer

August 6, 2010 | Reply

Wow! I will certainly be following you to find out how these work! I certainly have some light ‘dreaded elevens’ and would love a non-invasive way to slow them down. I’m 38, so I understand where you’re coming from..
    You do look very old Hollywood glam!! :)

• amy

August 6, 2010 | Reply

I hope you don’t still smoke, especially now that you’re trying to have a baby.

• Tea Lady

August 6, 2010 | Reply

Hmmm. I’m hearing you. I don’t really have lines just yet. I turned 30 the other day. My 11′s are just starting to take some kind of form. I am starting to wake up with little puffs under my eyes. Its starting, and I’m not happy! I’ve never smoked, not partied much. Eat reasonably well and get lots of sleep. I’m not happy about those 11′s either. I think I’ll buy some of those frownies. Maybe they’ll prevent? I’d even wear them at work (haha). I’ll just say I have a zit!!!

• TK Kerouac

August 6, 2010 | Reply

Hope you do an update on how the frownies work out. Did they have anything for the “meridian lines” and “the neck”?

• Amelia

August 7, 2010 | Reply

you truly are fabulous

August 8, 2010 | Reply

Nothing like a little Botox!!!!! You can use all the FROWNIES you want but don’t expect to get the same results… There is a procedure which is really cool called – PLATELET RICH PLASMA. Look it up – I’ve alreday tried it and the results are just unreal!!!! I must say that I live in South Americas where: 1) you can find the best plastic surgeons in the world. 2) it’s basically cheaper than any where else. 3)and…women in their 60′s look like they are at least 40 (maybe even less)…….. Check it out!!!

• jennine

August 8, 2010 | Reply

omg… i wanted to comment earlier, but was out of town!

first of all, in real life you don’t have 11′s either, you look amazing. so i wouldn’t worry about getting botox if i were you.. frownies have saved me a lot of money though and they have worked for me (wendy just saw me the other day, she can attest, and she knew my ‘before’ 11 situation)

i also have to say thanks for talking about what it feels like to show the signs of aging, not that you do, but it’s like i don’t mind getting older, i just am not so pleased about some of the ways that it’s showing up…
    haha, well one day i’ll have to accept.
    ;)

• anon

August 30, 2010 | Reply

give us an update. what do you think of the results?

• Chloe

September 17, 2010 | Reply

hey maegan
    could you tell us how the frownies worked? I am planning on purchasing some but I would love to know how they worked for you.
    love your blog soooooo freaking much- thankyou for all the hard work and time you put into it!!

• Evelyn

September 21, 2011 | Reply

Oh my goodness! so do they work?? I would really like to know :P

• Brustvergrößerung

November 19, 2011 | Reply

That’s right, the Olay Regenersit micro sculpting cream & the Estee lauder serum- never too early or too late for both of those. Brustvergrößerung