Mane ‘n Tail Shampoo & Conditioner

Mane 'n Tail shampoo & conditioner

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while you may know that I fell in love hard with Dove shampoos and conditioners a little over a year ago. So much so that I retired my expensive Frederick Fekkaiaddiction and switched completely over to all things Dove & hair related. Until recently, I loved it. But something about my low water pressure at our new house combined with the Dovehair care, long hair tipsjust hasn’t been producing the same results.

I’d heard the magic of horse shampoo & conditioner Mane ‘n Tail even before the infamous Chazz Michael Michaels bragged about it in Blades of Glory but never tried it. So while browsing the The Beauty Collection {my local beauty supply} a couple weeks ago {when I purchased Essie’s Lapis of Luxury blue nail polish} I saw a few bottles of Mane ‘n Tailmane n tail horse shampoo for humans out of the corner of my eye and decided to give this horse shampoo a try. And try I have. After my first wash I was extremely happy with the results. My hair felt cleaner, thicker, less-tangled, fluffier, shinier. Even wet in the shower I felt the difference – but one time couldn’t convince me. However, every subsequent wash & condition {every other day or so} gave me the same awesome result: radical hair. I decided to switch it up and use the Dove in between to test my theory and my findings were indeed correct, Mane ‘n Tail was better.

Reading some blog reviews from women complaining that Mane ‘n Tail leaves their hair feeling lack-luster and greasy may be the combination of two things: 1. Fine hair? {mine is pretty thick -that could be a determining factor} and/or 2.The type of Mane ‘n Tail shampoo and conditioners used. My awesome results are due to a combo of Mane ‘n Tail AND BODY shampoo and Mane ‘n Tail MOISTURIZER – TEXTURIZING conditioner. That may make the difference. I spent $7.99 each at the beauty supply but the links above offer them for $3.99 and for $3.99 it’s even more worth a try. I’m pretty much sold on the stuff …for now anyway, but I won’t give up on the Dove just yet …I like to mix it up every once in a while just to confuse my hairs a bit ;)

• τreciä

August 1, 2010 | Reply

Yep.. Its pretty much good for ALL hair type… I could say if its too greasy for fine hair, perhaps they should try diluting it? And totally agreed on switching between products as if your hair gets too used to something its going to confuse you even more lol…

• Veronika

August 1, 2010 | Reply

I have used one of their products before, though I can’t recall if it was shampoo, conditioner or a leave-in. I don’t remember what I thought of it either as it was so long ago. I heard Jennifer Aniston uses it! I might have to give it another try because you have the best hair ever!

• ~Mrs. Guru~

August 1, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like a winner. I am going to have to try this!

• Krysten @ After 'I Do'

August 1, 2010 | Reply

I remember someone else raving about this stuff… I may have to try it out.

• Duchess

August 1, 2010 | Reply

I have to agree with the fine hair idea. I have a lot of fine hair and that shampoo does absolutely nothing for me or my hairs. My cousin on the other hand with her thick hair swears by it and refuses to use anything else.

August 1, 2010 | Reply

Nothing like “good old-fashioned” products. They are long-time tested, for sure. I will have to try it!

姊夫在內地包二奶,我們建議大姊趕緊大陸抓姦

外遇傷害了一個幸福的家庭
    或許你會說:問題其實早已存在,外遇並不是傷害的唯一因素
    但是內心深處其實你知道,這只是外遇的藉口!
    建築在傷害別人之下所得到的愛情,終究難以幸福…

• MalibuMara

i use the shampoo,
    i have VERY thick hair and it works well,
    they have it at walmart for about 3-4 i believe (well when i bought it )

外遇蒐證需要技巧,錯誤的外遇蒐證可能會打草驚蛇,

然而如果你什麼都不做,
    那麼您的權益只會被漠視!
    面對伴侶通姦,您不該姑息,
    勇敢站出來,給通姦的人應得懲罰!

• ~alison

August 2, 2010 | Reply

I used to use this stuff but even with my thick hair, it made it too fluffy and a bit dry. Although, it makes your hair grow a bit faster as well.

August 2, 2010 | Reply

you can better believe i will be trying this soon!!!

i recently bought some carol’s daughter hair products since they are au natural. well the shampoo SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!! the conditioner is ok, but the shampoo is a joke! mane and tail will be my next hair purchase!!!

• J-ezzy

August 2, 2010 | Reply

You must be right, I am finishing my bottle of shampoo now and I realize the shampoo and conditioner don’t leave my hair fluffy or soft, I feel a little greasy, it has to be due to my fine hair :(

• anhesty

August 2, 2010 | Reply

i will have to try it out. i am the same why. i use aveda hair products and then inbetween i would switch it up with something else. right now its tresemme. next will be dove. and then back to prob aveda. but maybe i will go with the horse shamp/cond next. thx for the review!

• esdelope

August 2, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the recommendation! I am in dire need of a shampoo switch.

Becca

August 2, 2010 | Reply

i use this on my horse and because they have thick manes and tails it of course doesn’t leave it greasy. it helps in your overall performance at shows or your everyday lifestyle. please give this a try. they even have a small bottle of detangler you can get at tractor supply company. i’ve been meaning to try it out on my own hair to see if its any good for humans.

• Jen of Made By Girl

August 2, 2010 | Reply

Interesting….may just try it. i wonder if it helps make hair grow, that is what i need…..:)))))

• bananas.

August 3, 2010 | Reply

i’m so glad you posted about this because i was curious. right now i’m using sulfate free shampoo and conditioner which is recommended for peeps who’ve done the brazilian blowout. my guess is this horse stuff is pretty sulfate free? do you know??

December 9, 2012 | Reply

Mane n tail containes sulfates

• neverfit

August 3, 2010 | Reply

I have thin hair and it didn’t work. I bet it’s better for thick hair because it’s more similar to a horse’s mane.

• Leslie

August 3, 2010 | Reply

Damn, you get a lot of spammers. :/

I used this about 10 years ago, before I started highlighting my hair. Any idea if it works well with color-treated hair? Right now I’m using shampoo that costs $30/bottle – sure would love to give my wallet a break from that.

• Down and Out Chic

August 3, 2010 | Reply

i used to use this shampoo when i was younger and then kind of forgot about it. now that my hair’s getting longer (very slowly mind you) i’m going to try it out again.

• Marcela M

August 4, 2010 | Reply

hi maegan, i am from mexico and me, my husband and my family in law all use mane n tail shampoo. we buy lots of bottles at the pet department in Walmart stores every time we go to de USA. My husband said they all started using this shampoo because their hair would fall less than with any other shampoo, so they have been using it for years now. My hair is thick and heavy, just as yours, only dark brown and it sure shines with this shampoo, but i like to alternate it with another one, i usually keep 2-3 different shampoos in my shower…an advice i heard somewhere…

• MJW

August 6, 2010 | Reply

I’ve often wondered about this. I’m going to try it out this weekend. I also have thick hair too. I haven’t been to your blog in awhile. Hope things with you are good! :)

• Kelly @ Dare to be Domestic

August 8, 2010 | Reply

When I was in high school my mother and I used this stuff and it WAS amazing! I have really thick, naturally wavy hair and this always helped my hair – especially back then when I was all about spiral perms!

Between this and some Nexxus shampoo and conditioner that’s all we used. (And Finesse, mostly because I loved the way it smelled).