My Fireplace Progress: Mantel & Sitting Area

eames house bird+bronze owl+cow skull head+horns+decor+mantel

My first thought for decor above the fireplace/mantel was a large starburst mirror. I wanted something with a vintage feel and a bit different from the norm and finally found the overlapping circles mirror and thought it would be perfect. But when I returned home and held it up, I realized a mirror would be far too high for anyone to see a reflection in and scrapped the idea altogether. I also realized that the circles mirror was a perfect addition to our master bedroom and bought another one to complete the look.

Now, back to the fireplace. I recently found a photo of antlers mounted on the wall with a sort of flower or leaf or bunch of berries draped over it and kind of fell in love. See below:

flowers over antlers inspiration

Now, I’m not really a horns, dead animal mounting kind of girl, er, woman, so I surprised myself when I called my mom -immediately remembering a pair of horns my stepdad, Barry once had hanging on the wall in their house. I guess all morals go out the door when design/decor come into play? But when I asked my mom about them {knowing that they weren’t mounted on their wall now} she told me that he recently sold them at a garage sale …but that there was a cow skull head hanging in the garage. I told her I’d be right over.

fireplace decor ideas+mantel+cow skull horns

Until now, when I thought of cow skull heads and horns Southwestern Decor would come to mind. But for some reason, hanging a cow skull head completely out of context now became quite hilarious to me and as soon as I hung it on the wall I laughed out loud {as I did with my golden tree stumps and my totally gay needlepoint}. And then I knew it had to stay. Thanks Barry!

So I’ve decorated around it for now …and I like it, for now. But it’s still missing something and I’m not quite sure what yet. What I know is missing is a sitting area. I’d actually like a low-to-the-ground, possibly round or kidney shaped table with floor cushions on a soft and cozy rug to lounge on and play board games or cards on with friends. I’m kind of hoping to find a unique vintage table but so far here are a few designs that I’m leaning towards . . . I like glass because you don’t have to worry about drink rings but I like wood because it would be sturdy enough to lean on and/or use to assist in standing from such a low position.

noguchi cofee table
Noguchi Table @ Herman Miller $1,349.00 …a wee bit out of the price range

Platner Coffee table Knoll
Platner Coffee Table @ Knoll $1,268.00 …also out of the price range

cb2 marble round coffee table like Rubik
CB2 Smart Round Marble Coffee Table $299 {a direct-yet-affordable
rip off of the Rubik Round Coffee Table $800}

West Elm round wood coffee table
West Elm Dot Coffee Table $399

fireplace sitting area+cow skull+eames house bird

So this is how it looks now …just waiting for the perfect table, pillows & rug to cross my path so I can complete it. I’m just hoping it will all fall into place before Winter …but with this late Summer heat I don’t think there will be a problem at all.

Wooden ball frames from Aaron Brothers, wooden sex sculpture {hilarious} a wedding gift from Danny, Eames House Bird from HiveModern, Copper Owl, Vase {gift from friend Jamie}

Share/Bookmark

• Scott Leatherman

August 24, 2010 | Reply

very cool–I would never ever thought of doing that–and not that I am a designer but my suggestion on something missing is a modern piece of art glass–it’s a design staple in my home–but it would give balance between southwest feel and your retro pieces around the house. Just a though–something with orange or bright greens. Last thought–move the plant and put an abstract painting there that has the warm colors and the let the blackness of the fire pit be the frame–ok I will go back to my normal job of marketing software

• nicole leigh smith

August 24, 2010 | Reply

nice hardwoods! Love the nuggets in the first photo… what if the chair was upholstered in a different print/color??

• anhesty

August 24, 2010 | Reply

very rustic.

• TERI REES WANG

August 24, 2010 | Reply

Ooh, paint that fireplace!
    …mantle and all, soft matte black/charcoal.

Keep the horns, and the sheep skin, and ditch everything else. We all tend to use that mantle the same way we use the top of the toilet tank..as our new altar to the sun gods.

Cheers!..to discovering our own home.

• Katie

August 24, 2010 | Reply

Love the Eames House Bird :)

• Jill GG (good life for less)

August 24, 2010 | Reply

I love it! It looks great…

I saw a noguchi at an estate sale for $250 – kicking myself I didn’t snag it, but I don’t really have a place for it. Try estate sales in your area… nevva know!

• Kelly

August 24, 2010 | Reply

LOVE the bird.

Kelly

• Naughty Baubles

August 25, 2010 | Reply

looking very rustic shabby chic….loving it!!

NaughtyBaubles

NaughtyBaubles on Etsy

• Maria at Bachman's Sparrow

August 25, 2010 | Reply

Okay, this is totally legit. Love your taste girl!

• Eli

August 25, 2010 | Reply

so far it looks fantastic! I’ll be moving soon and going to have to start the decor inspiration all over again

• Jill

August 25, 2010 | Reply

Lots of Japanese spam, chica! I wouldn’t buy the West Elm table…the laminate won’t hold up well. Love the horns. We hang necklaces from ours. Not the ones on our heads obviously…those retract during the day.

Where the fuck did that comment come from?

• erin

August 25, 2010 | Reply

i think really all you’re missing is a jaunty little top hat.

think about it.

;)

• Lady Gabby

August 25, 2010 | Reply

We seem to be into some of the same things. I just started my own blog, and I would really appreciate some suggestions or comments! I thank you in advance if you decide to check out my blog and give me some feedback.

• Chicago Mom (Heather)

August 25, 2010 | Reply

Love the table from West Elm. Bummer that it’s not good quality though. That one was my fav.

• Erin

August 25, 2010 | Reply

LOVE the animal horns…I’m actually waiting patiently for the perfect taxodermy head to hang over my mantel! I was wondering what colors you were looking for in the pillows and throw?? I would love to make them for you…as an early Christmas gift! (I’m completely serious!)
    erinregleston@ucla.edu

• Andi

August 26, 2010 | Reply

Geez, I would have never been brave enough to do this, but you are totally pulling it off! It really looks fantastic!

• cacao

August 26, 2010 | Reply

Paint it black!! Change it completely.

I’m not a lover of the cow because I’m afraid of skulls or any animal as a decoration. I will still put a mirror or glass, even though no one can reflect…it reflects light!!

I will put candles and form me, it screams for color!!

I love love love your style and house…well everything you do. You are great. U rock!!

Cheers from Barcelona.

Carla

August 27, 2010 | Reply

i f*cking LOVE it!!! it is so cool!

and i like that little round dot wooden table thing. but you have so many ways you could go. oh DECISIONS!!!

• Mara

August 29, 2010 | Reply

I think the cow skull looks absolutely perfect! It’s funny how you can think something isn’t your style and then it just totally works! That’s what is so fun about design. Your place is looking so awesome Maegan!