Summer 2010 : Installment no. 5

the little mermaid doll and flip flops

Little girls die for The Little Mermaid like grown women die for shoes.

This particular Ariel dollthe little mermaid ariel dollbelongs to my Goddaughter, Avery …who has been The Little Mermaidthe little mermaid costume for kidsfor Halloween and has had a The Little Mermaid themed birthday partylittle mermaid party suppliesto boot. Just yesterday drollgirl and I were talking about her 3 year old niece adoring The Little Mermaid as well …so what is it? Why does Arielthe little mermaid ariel dolltrump Bellebeauty and the beast belle dollor Cinderellacinderella dollor Sleeping Beautysleeping beauty dollor Jasmine?Princess Jasmine Doll I mean, Ariel is the only one with dazzling red hairlittle mermaid red hair wigbut Jasmine has a tiger!

Admittedly, and like the little girls mentioned above, The Little Mermaiddisney's the little mermaid movie dvd limited editionis one of my favorite Disney animated movies too. Originally released at the end of 1989, I was just at that baby sitting age of 12-13 years old and every little girl I baby sat wanted to watch it on repeat {not that I minded} as well as those Disney sing along songskids sing along songs dvdwhich means, you guessed it, I know every word to every song in the movie {and to most of the others too}. Yes, still. And sometimes, if you must know, I break out Part of Your World a cappella style in the shower. “Look at this stuff, isn’t it neat …wouldn’t you think my collection’s complete …wouldn’t you think I’m a girl …a girl who has …everything”. And isn’t it ironic that women’s blogs {not excluding my own} sort of epitomize that one line of the song almost perfectly? Too funny.

Happy Saturday.

the little mermaid, the little mermaid doll, summer photos, 90′s disney movies, ariel from the little mermaid, toys, disney toys, disney pricesses, disney animated movies
Share/Bookmark

• Charbelle

August 7, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe that movie was originally released at the end of 1989. That just shows how timelessly classic these Disney animated movies are!!
    My favorite scene is the movie is where Sebastian is running away from the chef :)

• TEST

August 7, 2010 | Reply

*Side eye Maegan, Side eye*

Ha!

• Alyssa Mae

August 7, 2010 | Reply

I STILL love the little mermaid! I used to play mermaids when I was little in the pool too. I think mostly we spent the time discussing what type of mermaid we wanted to look like… ” Well I have PURPLE hair, and a shiny BLUE tail, with a pearl crown and jewelery!” haha.

And I know you have a tattoo on your ankle, but do I spy one on your toe too??

• Cindy Khor

August 8, 2010 | Reply

I love the song. But there’s one thing uncommon about me and that portion, which is my collection’s not complete yet, and i long to have more until i have everything.

• Alex

August 8, 2010 | Reply

I wanted to be Ariel until I was 23 ….. wait I don’t turn 23 until October.

But I love that movie. And still could watch it on repeat. I know all the words to all the songs & most of the dialect. And I also find myself spontaneously bursting my rendition of Part of Your world (usually when I’m swimming in the pool, pretending I’m Ariel). Sigh…I love that movie.

• Bethany

August 8, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know, I loved Cinderella with Belle being close second.
    Now I am in my 20′s Aurora is my favorite.
    I have always like Ariel though, but she was my sisters favorite

• Catherine

August 8, 2010 | Reply

This was my favourite film as a child too. I do love this comic take on it though.

• nicole leigh smith

August 8, 2010 | Reply

you’re awesome. i totally love that tune.

• Schnelle Couture

August 8, 2010 | Reply

I love the Little Mermaid too. I loved the music..I remember singing the songs around the house when I was little.

• Liliai

August 8, 2010 | Reply

I have trouble picking a favorite princess :) I like them all :D nice blog btw

• jacobithegreat

August 8, 2010 | Reply

The Little Mermaid was the first movie I ever saw in a movie theater. I was so tickled, and I love that movie.

• Meghann

August 9, 2010 | Reply

LOL… DUDE!!!!! I also sing that song.. drives my hubby nuts! I used to sing it in the shower as well, but we have this cat who hates when i sing…(shows how good I am) and he yells at me. Well I have not sung it in a long long time…until recently! I have a little girl and she is starting to like disney movies so of course that means I sing ALL the songs with her!!! I have found a way to sing them and he has to deal with it. LOL

I think the reason little girls like the Little Mermaid… is that she is a mermaid… she gets to swim in the ocean and can breath under and above water… at least in disneys version. I have red hair and that movie came out when i was 9. Man I thought I WAS the little mermaid.. LOL

• esdelope

August 9, 2010 | Reply

I agree – the Little Mermaid was just a dream for me as a kid! And, I wanted nothing more than to have a voice like Ariel!

Becca

August 9, 2010 | Reply

i can’t even remember if i have seen this movie! how sad is that?! and it is a trip that this movie from SO LONG AGO has had such a lasting impact! weird!

hope you are having a good one!

• Andrea

August 10, 2010 | Reply

You need to know that my sister has been singing that song to my nephews before bed every. single. night. For the last three and a half years. Maybe they’ll be gay…or maybe they’re just the coolest fucking set of 5 year old boys you’ve ever seen!

• Mara

August 12, 2010 | Reply

It’s my favorite Disney movie too! And I sing that song almost every time in the shower too! haha