Compare where you are to where you want to be and you’ll get nowhere

polka dotted slit dress from the 90's+brown belt and wedges+louis vuitton speedy, orphan chic, minimalism, dressing for Fall, lace up wedges

louis vuitton+polka dotted dress+gray cardigan+brown leather belt

polka dots+gray+brown+long belt

tiny polka dots dress and belt

minimalism+orphan chic+90s+louis vuitton+steps+sharp

What I’m Wearing
* Jersey polka dotted dress w/ side slits from the 90′s …found this at a thrift shop a while ago but this is the first time wearing it as it never quite worked before. I wanted to pull it up through the belt, shortening the entire look but the side slits went up to high for that …kind of a bummer because it’s a bit more flattering shorter.
* Forever 21 long gray cardigan – I actually grabbed this running out the door just for warmth but ended up wearing it all day …it’s chilly already!
* Asos leather boyfriend belt
* Via Spiga lace up wedges …I have been wearing these for so long they’re starting to show wear …but I think that makes me like them even more. {I think I got them in 2006}
* Tom Ford cat eye sunglasses
* Louis Vuitton medium {30} Speedy

This outfit definitely falls under my “Orphan Chic” look I was looking forward to exploring for Fall. I originally had little beige socks on but felt like I was part of the cast of Annie. It was cute but totally unflattering. I know my husband hated the entire thing. I can always tell how he feels about my outfit by how he reacts when I walk out to kiss him goodbye. It’s very funny …and today I got nothing. Just a “Bye”. And really, I’m not sure how I feel about it either. It was a bit frumpy for me but I liked the idea.

* Title: lyrics from Sara Bareilles Uncharted

Share/Bookmark

• Natalya's Closet

September 22, 2010 | Reply

Great photos, and I love this 90′s dress! The tiny polka dots are so chic and the belt and cardigan are great additions! XOXO, Natalya

• anhesty

love the wedges.

• Amber's Notebook

September 22, 2010 | Reply

Great outfit. I love the belt and the tiny polka dots. The shoes rock too.

• FASHION SNAG

September 22, 2010 | Reply

It looks good on you, but I can see why your hubby didn’t like it. Guys always want more skin showing. Don’t worry, my boyfriend does not like my latest acquisition of sequin shorts. He calls them circus shorts because they are baggy. I think this looks fine, but the dress would look cute shorter. Too bad you can’t sew the side slits shut or something. I love the idea with the brown belt and everything, definitely orphan chic. x

• Mabel and

September 22, 2010 | Reply

So true. Love your outfit.

• Big Red

Love the lyric.
    Love that song!
    Loving the outfit!

• Isabel

September 22, 2010 | Reply

i love this look…those wedges are great!

• DiamondsandTulle

September 22, 2010 | Reply

Love those Via Spiga wedges!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

• ~Mrs. Guru~

September 22, 2010 | Reply

You look beautiful as ever!

• Katie

September 22, 2010 | Reply

Cant believe its already cool there – wish it was here!

• Tiffany Luxe

September 22, 2010 | Reply

Loving you as always, hating this outfit. Not my cup of fashion-forward tea. You rock with your ideas girl, but it is definitely OK to admit that not everything works. Stoked that you tried it out anyway. xo.

Hi maegan
    I would like to know how to apply for the medical marijuana. b/c my husband has been trying to get approved in nj and he needs to know what to do. he has tried various medicines for his glaucoma and it doesnt’ work.
    luciaguerra90@yahoo.com
    thanks.

• Sadie's Momma

September 22, 2010 | Reply

I’m with you- I like the general idea of this outfit. I’m glad you didn’t wear the socks because of the length of the dress and the distance between your hemline and your shoes. I LOVE the way you knotted your belt. And your shoes… totally killer. I couldn’t pull this off because, remember, I’m almost politically correctly a Little Person. ALMOST. I don’t get a handicap pass for almost, though. Damnit.

LOVE the lyric to your title. So true.

• Nickie Frye

September 22, 2010 | Reply

Orphan chic?! What in the world? HAHA! You do NOT look like an orphan. Silly goose. Love the shoes.

Hi Maegan,

Have you thought on shortening the dress about 5 to 6 in keeping the slit as it is? i think it would look rad

Esther

• Lisa Petrarca

September 22, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think it’s frumpy at all…and I love the choice of shoes with it!

I need your HELP! Is it okay to wear black to a wedding? I have the coolest vintage 50′s style dress I want to wear (see pics on my blog).

So is it a faux pas or not?

September 22, 2010 | Reply

if you look frumpy then HEAVEN HELP THE REST OF US!

you do NOT look frumpy! i think you look fab, SO THERE!!!

• ...love Maegan

September 22, 2010 | Reply

I definitely could either stitch up the sideslits a bit to keep the length and belt the dress OR just hem it up at the bottom ….HOWEVER when I put it on the morning before work, I didn’t have time to do either of those things though I did try safety pins for good measure. Again, by that time I didn’t want to try another outfit and/or be late for work. So, next time. I still like the idea, I just need to play with it a little more. Though some do like the look exactly how it is …and thank you :) lol

• Caroline, No.

September 22, 2010 | Reply

Orphan chic, lol! I actually though the way the dress fits is pretty sexy. If you’re frumpy god knows what I am. ARGH. ;p x

• Francesca

love the shoes

xoxo,
    F

http://lekisskiss.blogspot.com <– Texas gal bloggin fashion from NYC!

• Heather

September 22, 2010 | Reply

I really like this outfit. The polka dots are so much fun.

• Teresa

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I am in love with this belt – it is so casual and comfy looking! I agree with one of the above posters too, shortening the dress and leaving the slits might be exactly what this dress needs!
    -Teresa
    TeresaDoesIt.com

• Miss Mae

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I love the belt with this dress. AND I will forever have a crush on Speedy 30!

• Sarah Klassen

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I ADORE your outfit — so fabulous! The dress, the belt, the shoes, the purse, everything :)

I hope you’re having a fabulous week!

• Sal

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been eyeing that very belt … LOVE how it looks here!