HBO’s Hard Knocks: NY Jets …my husband’s effort to coerce me into enjoying football

And you know what? It kind of worked.

the NY jets : Hard Knocks hbo

The reason I enjoy basketball so much is because you really get to be up close and personal with the players. The game is fast and the cameras are court side filming every drop of sweat in HD. I get to know who is on each team pretty quickly which gives me more of an interest in the game itself.

In football, the field is larger, the action further away and the players all covered up in helmets. I only know a handful of football players which means, half the time when I’m watching, I have zero interest in what’s going on. On top of that, LA doesn’t have a football team to root for so I don’t have a sort of built-in love like I do with the Lakers.

When the husband told me about HBO’s Hard Knocks I thought, okay, another “man” show I can fall asleep to at night while he plays with my hair. But after the first episode, I was sort of sold. It gave me an inside, up close and personal look at a team, this time, the NY Jets. I got to know the coaches and players and what exactly “special teams” is and it just took it to the next level for me. I feel like I have a team now, even though the husband says they’re gonna suck, I’m interested in when they are playing {Monday is their first game}. I imagine if HBO did this for every team, I would really begin to enjoy football season.

But I think what I learned most is that Mark Sanchez is REALLY cute.

top photo via: The Jets Kvetch

Share/Bookmark

• Melissa

September 12, 2010 | Reply

That is what UFC Ultimate Fighter reality show did for me, made the fighters a little more personal. I was able to recognize names and fight clubs, know who should or shoudn’t beat who. But then the show got way to Jerry Springer for me. But I still love MMA.

• urbanrhetoric

September 12, 2010 | Reply

even though i don’t understand football, i do love the jets. and i am obsessed with this show (mostly because of cuties mark sanchez and jason taylor). so glad that i am not the only wife watching!

~pemora

• September 12, 2010 | Reply

I love football. {{{{Let go GIANTS!!!}}}}

Also like, Brett Favre. Hes super old and super tough still playing football after like a thousand years and injuries.

Get into the game girl and throw a football party. Invite other wives over and you can dish on fashion and football. I make girly cocktails for the women and of course there’s plenty of beer. Plus, I have a hot wing recipe thats to die for. ;}

• Poppy

September 12, 2010 | Reply

That seems like a great show, I love documentaries on any subject.Plus I’ve been crushing on Mark Sanchez for a while now :-)

• Amanda

September 12, 2010 | Reply

Welcome to NY.
    ;)
    J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!!
    Yippee skippee.

September 12, 2010 | Reply

I love Hard Knocks, it’s one of the main reasons I miss HBO. I haven’t watched it in a few years but got one of my favorite quotes from one of the players featured (who was getting cut) – “Success never rewards the wrong person.” Love that! Love football! :)

• Candi

September 12, 2010 | Reply

• Morgan

September 12, 2010 | Reply

I love Hard Knocks! My fiance is a huge Jets fan so we’ve been watching religiously. And yes, Sanchez is a big factore for me. :)

• A.Co

September 13, 2010 | Reply

I’ve never heard of this song, but the Jets are my ‘favourite team’ – I say that in quotes because they rival my husband’s favourite team (dolphins) and I do it to get a rouse out of him ;) I’ll be sure to mention how there’s this ‘great new show we should get into’ ;)

BTW – totally relate-able: he tickles my back so I can fall asleep as he watches various shows/sports/etc.

A.Co @ A.Co est. 1984

• A.Co

September 13, 2010 | Reply

Oops, I meant ‘SHOW’ … did I actually say ‘song’?! WTF…

• Nikki Aimee

September 13, 2010 | Reply

Yes, Sanchez is a cutie & I’m the same way when it comes to rooting for a team- it’s just so much better when it’s a hometown team.

• Lisa Petrarca

September 13, 2010 | Reply

AND…he is a local boy! He graduated from Mission Viejo H.S. here in the O.C.

Alot of my gf’s didn’t like football because they didn’t really get it. Until I gave them the EASY instructions (Each team gets 4 tries to get past the “stick with the circle on it” or the yellow line on tv. If they do they get 4 more tries, until they reach the end zone. The other team tries to stop them & then if they do, they get a turn.) SIMPLE stuff!LOL!

Once they grasp that then I ease them into what each position is & what their duties are.

K MAEGAN…I’m counting on you to start watching & see if you don’t start getting into it now…it’s EXCITING!!

• Jessica

September 13, 2010 | Reply

Lol… I love football.. but I do get the point. I have to agree with the previous commenter about UFC’s Ultimate Fighter… My husband someone bribed me into watching and I am now quite the UFC fan. Anything that makes the players real makes it that much more interesting.

• honey my heart

September 13, 2010 | Reply

cute athletes always help me enjoy the sport they play :) mark sanchez is definitely not too bad.

• Caroline

September 13, 2010 | Reply

Your husband and my bf need to meet. This show is on CONSTANT repeat in my house. I ask .. didn’t you just watch this yesterday? He says .. yes, please shush so I can watch it again.