Socks & Shoes & Shoes & Socks

denim-leggins-1ankle socks and lace up heels

pour la victoire platforms with socks  socks-with-heels-1

scrunch socks and gucci heels

lbd+long cardigan+lace up boots+socks -4

It’s obvious that I’M into the socks with heels look but how do YOU feel about the trend?

The duo seem to be on every leg that comes down every runway lately and obviously it flatters the 10′ tall 100lb models with legs for days but does it always, if ever, work for the average woman …i.e., you and me?

I definitely think there’s a time and a place for the look and that while it may be appropriate for the outfit, it may not visually work when all is said and done.

I love the idea of a really strappy shoe with a bright sock under just for the contrast which, in theory, makes it look like a completely different shoe. For instance, add a bright red sock with a black strappy shoe and now you basically have a red shoe. I just bought a pair of L.A.M.B. heels from a Gilt sale for that purpose entirely. I also like the idea of extending the life of summer sandals and open toe platforms by adding socks …making them warm enough for Fall/Winter wear …well, SoCal winters at least.

So what are your thoughts lady lovers? . . . never say never ;)

• PeaceLoveApplesauce

September 23, 2010 | Reply

No, no.. I am not a fan of the socks w/ sandals.
    However, adore your outfit in that first picture!!

• LindseyLove

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I love your first outfit, but I don’t like the trend at all. I love leg warmers though.. thats about the closest I get to socks with sandals or pumps.

• capperson

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I’ve never been a fan, but the first picture and the picture with the black shoes and purple socks make me really want to try it with some of my shoes throughout the fall. I don’t believe I could pull it off though with my body shape and size :(

• ...Love Shannon...

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I never liked the look until these pictures!! Especially that first picture! You are so photogenic/beautiful that it makes me have hope I can pull these outfits off too!!!!

Looove your Blog :)

-Shannon

• Summer {Bisfor...}

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I am a fan. I just don’t have the balls to wear it to work in Midtown. I do see myself wearing downtown here in NYC and fitting right in.

• Elaine

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I love the first outfit!

• anhesty

September 23, 2010 | Reply

i love the style but i fear i can’t really do it bc i am short but it also depends on the pair of shoes. if it gives the look like it lengthen my legs or not. you rock it like a model!

• esdelope

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I want to. I really do! I just can’t. My legs are super short, so I just end up looking stumpy. I do think there’s something to be said for this look with athletic wear – spandex and knee socks are a staple of mine while running.

Becca

• cookie

very nice!!

xo

• missDTM

September 23, 2010 | Reply

i am a HUGE fan of this style!

• Ebony

September 23, 2010 | Reply

It doesn’t work for me with bare legs. I think you still have to be a little taller to pull it off. I’m 5’1 so it looks like I’m playing dress up.

I tried over the knee socks with heels and every 15 year old boy within a half-mile radius “pssssssstttt-ed” me. I switched into seamed panty hose for the evening and the boys were apparently turned off.

• Mommy Moxie

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I swore up and down that I would never give in to this trend, but your black booties with the purple socks and the last two looks have converted me! I am heading out right now to find some socks to experiments with. You’re correct-never say never!

I do though think that it takes the right outfit and the right shoe/sock combo to carry this off. You nailed it on all of them.

• Monica

September 23, 2010 | Reply

Um, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you are so not the “average woman” . Hence, you can pull this look off.

I do love the look if it’s pulled off with an edge, for example, that last look. I don’t care for the waify dress/strappy sandal/sock look.

All that said, I’m too old and fluffy for the look. But I do appreciate it!

• daer0n

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I like this trend a little, even more if it was to be worn like you did in the first picture, the rest not so sure. I have short legs, I am very short as well, 5’3″ but I don’t give a crap if I am not as tall as a model, if I like it I wear it my way, I have worn socks with pumps before and it makes them pretty comfortable and absolutely suitable for the fall or whenever it gets cold right?

First outfit by the way, pure awesomeness, love it.

• Jac

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I think some girls can really pull it off not necessarily based on their size/stature but because it fits their style and attitude. I know if I paired socks with heels I would feel awkward and out of place thus making me look awkward and out of place while others may think of the trend as something totally in line with their sense of style and confidentially rock it. Confidence is the key to making this look work.

• FASHION SNAG

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I love this trend. I think if you are comfortable and confident you can pull it off. I definitely think you pulled it off in all these looks! x

• Amber's Notebook

September 23, 2010 | Reply

As marth stewart would say “it’s a good thing”

• Chloe

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t like it at first, but the trend has definitely grown on me. I can’t pull it off myself though; my legs are short to begin with, and anything that cuts me off at the mid-ankle looks awful. :(

You rock it, though!

• Lisa Petrarca

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I love when I see it on you & the models…but w/ my athletic legs, not so much.

• Christina

September 23, 2010 | Reply

Where are the shoes in the first picture from? They’re adorable!

I like the look on some women, but it’s tricky to pull off. I don’t think it often works well on the “average” woman.

• clint turtura

January 23, 2014 | Reply

i love to wear the pom pom socks

• Craftmaker

September 23, 2010 | Reply

You definitely rock this look! I like it, I think it it really sweet. However I don’t think I can pull it off. I might I to try. But anyway, as some other ladies said, your are not the average woman :)

• Sex and the UniverCITY

September 23, 2010 | Reply

not a fan of the socks with heels…the outfits are adorable, but some things just shouldn’t go together!

• Helena from BrooklynBlonde

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I am definitely a fan but have a few exceptions. I love it how you’re wearing it in both of your pictures, but am not a fan with a sock with ALL the toes exposed in the sandal. But if it’s a little peak, then I love it.

By the way, I have those Sam Edelman lace up shoes and aren’t they the most comfortable shoes ever? I also paired mine with knit knee highs and got a mixed reaction.. o well.

• Mary Ann

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I love the knee and otk socks with boots these days!

• Erin

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I think it’s adorable… so cute for fall!
    Erin

• Kellie

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I’m digging your outfit in that last picture. I think you pull off the socks w/ sandals/heels very well but I don’t think I could pull it off. I wish!

• TERI REES WANG

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I love to see the Japanese girls do it…with flip-flops and leg-warmers pulled down over the the heels, so it looks like a sandal-bootie.

Cheers!

• GiGi

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know if I could ever pull off the socks with my short legs. You make me want to try though.

• Mishy

September 23, 2010 | Reply

years ago, i attempted stand-up comedy and one of my go-to jokes was pulling a dude out of the audience just to poke fun of his dingy white socks and dirty sandals. guys shouldn’t ever put that look together.

but, i think this look is great on you, cause you’re a smokin hot chickie! not so sure i could pull it off but you make me want to try.

• sharonlei

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I’m actually a fan of socks with sandals. :) And I think you’ve done such a fabulous job and score an A++++ on this trend. :D My favorite pairing would be the last pic.

I would have to agree with the commenter above, about guys NEVER pairing socks with sandals. Ick! ha ha ha.

xx Love & Aloha

• Amanda

September 23, 2010 | Reply

i love the last outfit, and the trend, but not sure if it will work on my chubby gams…maybe if i’m feelin’ funky. :) who cares what anyone else thinks??

• In the grand scheme of things

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I love the socks with the heels! I think I might even try it myself.

• Chicago Mom (Heather)

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I’m 6 feet tall with a 36″ inseam. However, I think I would look ridiculous in this trend.

YOU look so cute though. :-)

• Lorena

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I like the look, I think you wear it well.
    ME, well no. I look like a MORON wearing it.
    I tried.

• bananas.

September 23, 2010 | Reply

you can pretty much wear anything and it will look good.

me on the other hand…i’d look like a special needs kid on crack trying to sport that socks w/heels look.

i shutter at the thought.

• Jesslyn

September 23, 2010 | Reply

Not a fan because you’re right, it’s SO hard to pull off and so easy to get VERY wrong!

• ...love Maegan

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I’m in love with these comments today!! Thanks ladies. :) xoxox

{in case anyone wasn’t sure, all feet in all photos are mine …lol}

September 23, 2010 | Reply

I LOVE SOCKS WITH PANTS AND/OR WITH SAME COLOR TIGHTS AS IN YOUR FIRST PHOTO! YES, IT IS GREAT TO WEAR RED SOCKS WITH BLACK SHOES, OR WHATEVER COLOR WE LOVE, TO MAKE OUR SHOES HAVE A “NEW LOOK”. I THINK IN CERTAIN AREAS, SKIRTS WITH SOCKS WOULD LOOK VERY “CUTE”, AND, I DO BELIEVE SOME MEN DO LIKE THAT LOOK! (p.s. It’s sunny today!)

September 23, 2010 | Reply

p.s. I also love leg warmers…..I saw someone wearing charcoal grey legwarmers over same color tights……looked fantastic.

• Francesca

September 23, 2010 | Reply

i like it sometimes, but not thick sock. thin knee highs and thin socks are ok

xoxo,
    F

http://lekisskiss.blogspot.com <– Texas gal bloggin fashion from NYC!

• Kb_Mal

September 24, 2010 | Reply

This is my favorite of your socks/shoes looks so far because you can see the socks but they’re subtle. Love your leggings!

Katy at…

• Teresa

September 24, 2010 | Reply

I’m definatly feelin’ the purple sock look and the last picture. I think when done right, this look is amazing. Another sock trend I am drooling over is thick chunky knee high socks with mid calf slouchy boots. Love it.
    -Teresa
    TeresaDoesIt.com

• Kari Beth

September 24, 2010 | Reply

Of course you totally ROCK socks with heels. Pretty sure I could not pull this trend off in Northwest Arkansas!

• Dana

September 24, 2010 | Reply

Socks and Shoes, Shoes and socks, not a big fan of this new trend. Nevertheless, you look great, and I always love your choices in clothing. You have incredible style. Thanks for sharing.
    Dana

• Flora

September 24, 2010 | Reply

I must admit I used to not like wearing socks with sandals, or open-toed shoes. However, now that I’ve moved to the tropics, and it gets a bit breezy and rainy (not cold, but cool sometimes), this trend is completely doable. Also, it’s better than wearing closed-toed shoes because it gets so hot; with sandals and socks your feet can still breathe. Wow, way long comment.

I am a convert, I wear cute socks and heels now.

September 24, 2010 | Reply

i think it’s a bit insulting that you refer to yourself as the ‘average woman’. Do you really expect anyone to believe that with your blonde hair, blue eyes and petite frame? Frankly, it’s disingenuous.

September 24, 2010 | Reply

I absolutely LOVE the socks and heels / sandals look. And at a ripe age of 34 I don’t care how it looks, because well to be honest it looks fun and interesting and to be honest it’s practical as well! Wellington weather can be pretty unsettled and a pair of socks in the bag for whipping on, is much better than carrying a coat around (they actually keep me warmer!).

The only thing I do pay attention too is the SIZE of the sock… if I’m having a short dumpy day then I tend to stick to something fine and not too long in the leg :)

Cheers
    Amy

September 24, 2010 | Reply

oh yeah..those that are worried about trying this look should buy opaque knee highs or trouser socks in a ‘light’ colour and try it with those first…they are much easier to wear….less OMG SHE IS WEARING SOCKS lol. It also pays to position the sock line on your ankle nearest your skinniest point for a ‘dainty’ ankle look. Higher up the leg they get the more model worthy one must be. A dark knee high and dark shoe gives you an instant bootie. Who wouldn’t love it?!??!?

Try it x

• duckalicious

September 24, 2010 | Reply

I like it, but it’s annoying that it’s often done wrong (just for the sake of being trendy). you’re doing it right tho, thumbs up

• MerciBlahBlah

September 24, 2010 | Reply

I tried to distance myself from it when I first saw it, espesh since I was around when 16 Candles was out, and she wear wearing anklets and pumps to the dance, but I can’t deny anymore, I really really like it, and will try it, particularly the taller knee socks kind of bunchy with a pair of brogue’s. Looooove. It.

Merci,
    Shannan

• Huda

September 25, 2010 | Reply

socks with shoes are a bit tricky, it comes down to the length of the socks, type of shoes and overall styling. I love the way you are wearing thou, it doesn’t cut off your legs or make you look shorter.

• Tamara

September 25, 2010 | Reply

I do NOT like this trend.

• Alex

September 26, 2010 | Reply

Love it and can’t get enough of it.

• Sarah Klassen

September 26, 2010 | Reply

I LOVE the look! Just started experimenting with it this month, and posted a few pictures on facebook. I have a new fav. pair of black sandals and love that I can get extra time out of them and enjoy them into early Fall with socks. Why not? With the right look, it’s so chic! My boyfriend gave me the “whaaaa” look, which is surprising as he’s always on top of things, but finds this very odd. Love it, and can’t wait to rock it again this week… thank you for more inspiration :)

xo

• JenniP

September 27, 2010 | Reply

I personally adore the socks & sandal look and you can pull it off proudly. Which is quite envious for a girl of my caliber who would never be able to do so ’cause I’ve got legs like tree stumps … not a good look, I tried … :)

• fashiongrail

October 4, 2010 | Reply

If done right (as you did) this trend is just fabulous!

• Socialite

August 3, 2011 | Reply

I think that this is a look that can rarely be pulled off, and when I say rarely, I mean that I think reading your post is the first time I’ve ever seen anyone pull it off. You look stunning, and the socks/shoes seems to ground your look. I love it!