Dressing Up Shorts -with tights- for Work

shorts and tights and a sweater and boots+shorts for work+dressed up shorts+vintage scarf and bag+rosegold gray ankle boots+blue

dressed up shorts+shorts with tights+sweater and boots+sunset in L.A.+long blonde waved hair+dirt road+rocky road

shorts and tights and boots+rocks and vintage gucci

black and white blue eye+earrings+sharp

shorts and tights and boots+gray cashmere sweater+vintage gucci bag+the hills of LA

gray ankle boots on gray rocks with black tights

dressed up shorts+gray and black and taupe+sunset+the hills+los angeles+vintage scarf+cashmere sweater

What I’m Wearing
* Gray DKNY cashmere sweater …I found this in my husband’s closet a few years ago and he hasn’t gotten it back {he won’t wear it anyway} …last seen here
* Taupe shorts {though they look peach because my car headlights are on me, they’re not} …from Victoria’s Secret two Summer’s ago …seen once here in the Summer
* American Apparel shiny black stirrup tights {AA wins for tights man. Sturdy, warm, not too fracking tight around the waist}
* Vintage black silk scarf tied in a bow
* Nichole Miller crystal rhinestone drop ball earrings …from GILT – which added a bit of fancy to the look I thought ;)
* Rosegold gray ankle boots {serious love for these} – also from GILTlast seen here
* Vintage Gucci bag

Now it seems like every time I look at Lookbook.nu, the first five on the “hot” list are skinny-legged girls clad in tights and ripped up denim shorts {but of course, not today when I’m trying to make a point!}. While I don’t mind the look, I’ve often thought a woman, like me, {heh heh} was beyond the age where that was appropriate. But when the outfit I thought I was going to wear this morning went all wrong in the pants section, I eyeballed my shorts, which just so happen to be in my “tights” drawer, got the lightbulb above my head and somehow pulled the look together. And you know what? I really liked it. It felt age appropriate -mostly, though an older man looked at me and said “You look so cute!” lol

shorts and tights to work+dressed up shorts with tights and boots

I drive by this row of mailboxes daily …and almost every time I pass it I think about pulling over and shooting an outfit post but I never do. Today however, I finally did …but the sun was so bright due to the time change, it washed out the very very cool blue wall embedded with quaint tiled addresses & silver mailboxes. I tried anyway but after I shot 3, I realized a guard dog not too far away which was now the second strike against me so I decided to pack it up and leave …quickly. Sad because I still love the location. It’s literally at the top of the hill, just before Mulholland, and the only patch of land that the sun hits at 4:20 in the afternoon whilst driving home. As you see above, the rest of the shots are just prior to sunset & down the canyon on the other side of Mulholland. I’m adjusting to the time change.

Last year at this time, I was taking my outfit shots in the morning on the way to work …and I may just have to start doing that again. Though my sleepy head doesn’t want to lift off that pillow any sooner than it has to.

Share/Bookmark

• fashion junkie

November 17, 2010 | Reply

I absolutely love love love your outfit. It looks so comfy and fabulous. You look so adorable and girly. I love it! You definitely have inspired me to do a similar outfit post soon. :)

P.S. I was reading earlier about your daily schedule, and you have the best work schedule ever! You get to work and be home early (minus the fact that it gets dark earlier now)and be able to blog and spend time with LeRoy and Bebop. Not going to lie, I’m a bit jealous. ;) I work in Culver City and by the time I get home it’s way too dark to spend time with my babies.. aka dogs.

Have a fabulous day!

xoxo,
    MelRod

• Meg

November 17, 2010 | Reply

I LOVE this outfit. I have always been afraid to rock shorts (leg-insecurity), but I would definitely give this a shot! And I think I’m going to have to scoop some AA tights!

As always, great post!

• Chicago Mom (Heather)

November 17, 2010 | Reply

You have many more years where you can get away with wearing youthful looks. I’m 41 and I wore shorts/tights to the office. Screw the haters! :-)

• Clarissa

November 17, 2010 | Reply

Ok, so I wasn’t a fan of this look at first. But I’m sold! I would have never thought to put this together. Thanks for continuing to be a source of inspiration!

• FASHION SNAG

November 17, 2010 | Reply

I really love this outfit and how come boyfriends and husbands never want to wear their cashmere sweaters? Mine is the same way! lol
    I think the tights and shorts looks very classy on you!

• Kat

November 17, 2010 | Reply

Okay… so I *may* be biased, because I don’t wear pants… but I LOVE shorts and tights… and this is adorable in the best possible way. I also like them with a blazer… or with a longer top and then an open longer cardigan over that… The latter can be extra interesting if the cardigan is longer than the shorts – from the back it makes it look slightly inappropriate, but from the front incredibly appropriate.

also, I seriously love your use of scarves.

• The818

November 17, 2010 | Reply

Love this. I bought new shoes yesterday, and was checking out all the hue tights which were totally tempting, but you know me and my legs, so I wasn’t thinkin’ I could pull it off, but actually this post has me totally inspired to go back and give it a try!

• A.Co

November 17, 2010 | Reply

Despite what the old man said, it does look chic, effortless and age appropriate.

I’ve been debating the idea of rocking the shorts/tights combo to work, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet… I might…

A.Co @ A.Co est. 1984

• besswess

November 17, 2010 | Reply

Luv it! I think I might give this a try at work. The joys of working in a creative atmosphere!
    Hope you have a great day!

• Mary Jo from TrustYourStyle

November 17, 2010 | Reply

I really like your look and have had the same thoughts about you re: shorts. Maybe I will try it but I don’t have the right kind of shorts…thanks for the AA tights tip, my biggest issues is getting them long enough, but I will try them out!

p.s. Loving that bag!

xo Mary Jo

• Kinsey

November 17, 2010 | Reply

What a beautiful look! I love the bow around your neck. I never would have thought to put this together, you’re very creative!

• Polyvorina

November 17, 2010 | Reply

Funny, I’ve had those same misgivings about the shorts & tights look – maybe a little too young & fresh for me. But I think the fact that you didn’t go with denim makes it seem like a more mature look. You wear it with confidence anyways and that’s what I think counts.

• Katie

November 17, 2010 | Reply

I love how it turned out! The boots are fabulous.

• TERI REES WANG

November 17, 2010 | Reply

Those booties are Slammin!…
    and I could easily live yo’ Hubby’s gray heather sweater.

Cheers!

• silvia Navarro

muy chulo tu post!!!!!
    me gusta tu blog
    1besito
    xx

November 17, 2010 | Reply

those boots are SO CUTE! the outfit is so cute!

and i love the mail boxes! SO CUTE!!!!!

and your boss is now saying he wants to put WHITE FLOORS IN THE GALLERY. just shoot me! BLEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• My Shoes Please

WOW your boots!

• stacy

November 17, 2010 | Reply

i like the look on you a lot.

and the search for magic light at 4:20 continues.

• aftertherace

November 17, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for posting this! I’ve actually been contemplating the notion of tights with shorts lately, and this post has inspired me to do so!

• kissonthechic

Lovley.

• Bruna

November 18, 2010 | Reply

Great hair!!

• ASC

November 18, 2010 | Reply

Thank you for your comment! LOVE this outfit!

• sunflower

November 18, 2010 | Reply

your style is amazing. you have great outfit ideas. thank you for your inspirations.

• Nikki Aimee

November 18, 2010 | Reply

School has got me super busy (read: stressed and interrupting my blog/website surfing) but I could not let this post get too far away w/o commenting on how much I ♥ this outfit. You have such an amazing style & knack for fashion AND you keep me inspired. Thanx ;)

• CaliforniaCandy

November 18, 2010 | Reply

I love the scarf over the sweater, great idea!

Enter My First Jewelry Giveaway: A Snake Ring!

• BlueVanilla

November 18, 2010 | Reply

I think you look more then age appropriate…i have those same questions about my style as i get older…great post!
    xx

• Poppy

November 24, 2010 | Reply

That outfit looks so pretty & age appropriate, not that you need to worry about that. That outfit is edgy & takes balls & confidence…I need to get some balls so I can step up my game in the fasion department.

• Suz

December 1, 2010 | Reply

your sweater is lovely :)

• Asa

September 15, 2011 | Reply

my word! u inspire me with your style!

• coach outlet

May 5, 2012 | Reply

It’s wonderful to find out it does not slip in your signature at the bottom of the case and the appearance of brass accents from Coach Outlet Online, Because women who can look stylish this summer. Coach New Signature BackPack Black Beige is a useful backpack for outdoors activities. It’s convenient that you can freely take along with for travel,climbing and go for school.In our coach outlet,there are many graceful styles of Coach backpack for you.