Give your Fireplace a Facelift

green marble fireplace

This is a bit of a different Maeg-it yourself but when I read Tiffany’s submission, I just got inspired to offer her some advice!

Tiffany’s moving into a super-cute rental with great overall character and a cute backyard …but this green marble fireplace is a bit outdated and doesn’t go with A. The rest of the house and B. Her overall design aesthetic. Tiffany asked me for some affordable DIY advice since her landlord was open to her making some changed. So I did a little research and here’s what I came up with Tiffany. Beginning with the most cost-effective to the least. . .

* Decorate it and own it! So you have a big green fireplace, throw your flatscreen over it and call it a day. Also, if you don’t have kids or curious pets and there’s a screen in front of the opening, you can opt to not use that free standing screen.

* Paint it! …this will be your most cost-effective DIY. Here’s a great guide: How to Paint a Marble Fireplace …scruff it, prime it, paint it! Seems easy enough. You can even paint it to look like it’s tiled.

flatscreen tv on  fireplace with plant

* Add a Mantel! A bit more costly, it’ll make your newly painted marble really look finished. Or, just add a mantel over the marble to disguise it {like the 2nd photo below} Home Depot has only a few affordable options so why not build your own? Here’s video on how to install a pre-assembled mantel.

HCCAN604_Fireplace-After_s4x3_lg
Fireplaces-decorated-for-Christmas1 GH-Halloween_149.tif

* Faux Stone it! Obviously a more costly and time consuming option, but a really nice effect nonetheless. Cultured Stone $25-$50 per square foot …here’a little video. There’s also a How to Apply Faux Stone to a Fireplace guide here

hgPG-2460107-hdts1701-stone-fireplace_lg
mag15desib1__1234471922_2789 home_cover.1014hs6
livingroom16-de

* Adobe it! I’m a sucker for all things Spanish and Mission Style …well, at least when it comes to homes that is 😉 but I don’t see why you couldn’t do a faux Spanish/Adobe style fireplace using some sort of stucco or drywall mud or clay? However, I haven’t found any specific guides on how-to DIY it so if this is an option, you may want to ask around.

Green-Day-fireplace-512x383
Kiva fireplace front made with glass or screen 001 adobe fireplace, spanish fireplace, mission style mantel, mantle, Screen shot 2011-03-28 at 2.35.12 PM

Tiffany, I hope I could at least inspire you a little bit and get your creative juices flowing. Your new place is adorable! I bet you can’t wait to get in there and start decorating it! …and for the rest of you, I hope it was at least, worth your while to stop by and visit 😉

…& a few more fireplaces for inspiration

kenneth-brown-mantel_lg

livingroom1-de-85020873

summer-fireplace-house-to-home.co_.uk_

mantel_2_lg

Sources: Boston.com, HGTV, DIYnetwork, EhowHome, ThisOldHouse

LA native & lifestyle blogger Maegan Tintari writes daily at ...love Maegan.com sharing beauty & style secrets, including fashion DIYs, how-to nail art manicures, hair tutorials, recipes & home decorating ideas, as well as a look into her personal life, her journey & battle with infertility & recent relocation to the mountains by a lake in search of a better life with her adorable French Bulldog brothers, Trevor and Randy.

• Emma

March 29, 2011 | Reply

Oohh there is something about the white fireplace with floral wallpaper I just LOVE!! And I normally run a mile from floral…. Think it has something to do with Mums couch’s!

Hope your blog is still around when I have a place of my own to decorate, you’re an endless source of inspiration!

Have a fab day! 🙂

• Marcela

March 29, 2011 | Reply

Oh gee, I wish we had a fireplace! Those you posted look amazing!Love your ideas and suggestions…

Im just wondering about one thing: wouldnt it be just too hot for the flatscreen above the fireplace? Hm…

xx
    M.

• Jody

March 29, 2011 | Reply

Our FP is a combo of brick and a wood mantle, but it’s no where near as interesting as some of these pics. Found some great ideas though on how to spruce it up. Thanks!

• Katie

March 29, 2011 | Reply

Dang girl – you are right on the money. I vote faux stone or Adobe!

• Mae Lu

March 29, 2011 | Reply

I am so in love with your DIY posts!

This is probably the best one I’ve seen on home decor.

Also, I love that there is a http://www.crunchyroll.com ad on your site. It’s one of my favorite online entertainment resources!

xx{ish.},
    Mae Lu @ thereafterish.!

• Purse Pixie

March 29, 2011 | Reply

As the owner of several rental homes, can I just ask you to talk to your landlord before you do any of these things? They would all be a huge improvement, but be sure to consult the homeowner first. If you’ve already got that permission, I say go for adobe!

• Kayla

March 29, 2011 | Reply

I wish we had a fireplace! They add so much elegance without much effort.

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl
    Fanciful Brainstorm – Tumblr

• Blunettes

March 29, 2011 | Reply

I wish i had a huge amount of money! I would die to have a nice cosy house!

March 29, 2011 | Reply

These are great ideas but most landlords would never let you paint or put stone over a marble fireplace in a rental.

• the peach chablis

March 29, 2011 | Reply

Ohh very nice! I love when people put big candelabras in fireplaces in lieu of burning wood in them. All very good ideas to spruce it up!

T @ the peach chablis

• FashionMagnolia

March 29, 2011 | Reply

love your DIY post, inspiring!

• ...love Maegan

March 29, 2011 | Reply

Very true Anonymous, but Tiffany explained to me that her landlord was open to her making changes.

Also, it may perhaps give someone who owns their own home an idea or two.

• TERI REES WANG

March 29, 2011 | Reply

Years ago, I ‘plastered’ my fireplace surround with a handmade mixture of paint + powder plaster + Folgers instant coffee crystals = looks like stone, feels like a soft limestone, and smells really, really good.

It gets a good petting by those of my visitors who are the most curious, and some how too shy to ask.

Cheers!

• Lisa Petrarca

March 29, 2011 | Reply

Lots of good stuff Maegan. Painting alone makes such a difference. It changed my entire living room.

• issa

March 30, 2011 | Reply

girl i just moved houses… and i’m totally going through your home inspirations!

• Annie

March 30, 2011 | Reply

I love those. I thought about doing that to my fireplace in my bedroom. Now I am more sold on the idea. Awesome blog.

• Tiffany

March 30, 2011 | Reply

Oh I just died when I saw that you put this on your blog!! LOVE the ideas and I will be picking one and working on it this weekend. Thank you sooo so much for all this research and amazing ideas. And I love your blog. It’s part of my morning routine!

• Tiffany

March 30, 2011 | Reply

I mean died in a good way 🙂

• 網站設計

March 30, 2011 | Reply

hooray, your writings on theater and writing much missed!

• elissa @ faucethead

March 30, 2011 | Reply

these are great ideas! i’ love to have a home with a fireplace….maybe one day…sigh.