Thinking of Japan & How to Help

how to help japan, efforts to help Tsunami and Earthquake Relief in Japan, girl with Japanese flag, 1
Original photo source

The recent tragedy and devastation that has struck Japan has obviously been on all of our minds lately but how to help? I know I’d love to donate $1 million to Save the Children of Japan, like Gwen Stefani has but that’s not a feasible option for me, and I’m guessing not for too many of you either. The government now expects the economic toll from the earthquake and tsunami to exceed $300 billion …but I want to know that the people are getting the help they need now. So how can I help more than just donating to the Red Cross who DOES NOT Commit to use all designated funds for Japan?

There are numerous ways listed at Charity Navigator, as well as tips for spotting fake relief charities … but here are just a few more alternate options you may be unaware of.

Screen shot 2011-03-22 at 11.10.24 AM
* Tsunami and Earthquake Relief Donation *

GILT GROUP helping Japan, donations to Japan, Japan relief charities, Screen shot 2011-03-22 at 11.20.37 AM

* Gilt is matching donations made by members up to a total of $20k. Via GlobalGiving *

This one may be my favorite A. because they match your donation and B. because you get to choose where you want your donation to go

lady GaGa's pray for Japan bracelet, help japan, BGAMLG88

* Lady GAGA’s Little Monsters wristband *
$5 or add an additional amount up to $100 & all proceeds go directly to Japan.

cute little handmade bear on etsy all proceeds go to Japan, il_fullxfull.228232360

* A Bear Hug for Japan on Etsy – All Proceeds Go To The American Red Cross Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami Relief Fund.

* If you know more ways to help or are offering help yourself, please leave info in the comments.

• Jessica

March 24, 2011 | Reply

Hey, love your blog. Long time reader, first time commenter? ;) I just wanted to pop in to say that Red Cross makes sure to put in the disclaimer about no guarantees for your money going to the cause selected all the time. This is to make sure that they can move on to spend the money at other places that need help when the situation is taken care of. Considering the high cost of the tsunami disaster in Japan though, I’m guessing anything you donate to the Red Cross right now is going mostly to the area (though of course there are other areas in which the Red Cross is concurrently active). Here is a good Slate article on the topic (despite a rather asinine title) http://www.slate.com/id/2288243/. Moral of the story: not earmarking your donation for a particular country or project is the best way to help in the short term as well as in the long run.

• ...love Maegan

March 24, 2011 | Reply

Jessica: That’s a really great point ..thank you so much for your input!!

• carlyjcais

March 24, 2011 | Reply

Or if you are wanting your donation to go ONLY to Japan and not other countries affected, you can donate directly to the Japanese Red Cross here through wire transfer if you have no chapters of the JRCS locally: http://www.jrc.or.jp/english/relief/l4/Vcms4_00002070.html

• Vixi

March 24, 2011 | Reply

This whole tragedy in Japan also got me thinking about the poor animals there! They too have lost their homes and families, and now too will be left homeless! Im a softy for the beautiful creatures of our planet, and I just thought what if it had happened here in my country and my poor pooch was left destitute…left me heartbroken! And then i watched a sad but beautiful story on CNN about a pooch that wouldnt leave his injured friend! :( I donated to http://www.globalanimal.org, they’re an organisation that is set out to help all the pets in the Japan disaster :) Im sure there are plenty more but thats just one that I know of!
    xoxo

March 24, 2011 | Reply

Hi Maegan, I just saw this post and was wondering if that was you who posted the comments below as a ‘guest’http://www.whowhatwear.com/website/full-article/diy-feather-skirts/
    just an FYI incase you have an impostor. Claire M.

March 24, 2011 | Reply

Sorry Maegan ignore my previous comment I read through the rest of the posts and saw your response on your blog. I think you are awesome. Claire M

• Tierney

Hi doll,

Loved your post–got a few more ideas for myself!

I just posted about all the ways I found (http://www.rubywoolovesyou.com/2011/03/supporting-japan.html) Maybe a few of these will help supplement your list. Tory Burch has a limited edition t-shirt; Kate Spade has a tote; Rugby (by Ralph Lauren) has an adorable polo; Alexis Bittar is donating 100% of their sales through tomorrow…

Love the blog–I think you are an amazing person. (I’m not a stalker, promise!)

xo

• jen

March 24, 2011 | Reply

There is a leather company in New England making cool little bracelets and donating all proceeds to Red Cross Japan

• Marisa

March 24, 2011 | Reply

Thank you so much Maegan! I’m a Gilt memeber and had no idea they were doing that! I donated immediately.

OMG! Claire M!

• A.Co

Thanks for this.

I found another way to help out the ANIMALS which I thought was really sweet too.

A.Co @ A.Co est. 1984

March 24, 2011 | Reply

Is anyone doing anything for New Orleans these days?

• Kat

March 25, 2011 | Reply

RE New Orleans:

I recently got out of the military and I can tell you that they were STILL sending people down there to help when I got out in August.

As well, I know some church groups are still sending people down there to help…

A friend of mine recently vacationed in New Orleans and, like myself, she had been down there prior to Katrina and she said it was not in bad shape at all – the French Quarter is even operational for the most part right now… Is it what it was? No, but like with any disaster that will come in time.

I guarantee it looks a lot better than Japan does at the moment…

• Elle Sees

March 25, 2011 | Reply

Look on my blog for a post on it…not a spam, just an authentic post. I posted on helping the kids and animals.
    ellesees.blogspot.com

March 25, 2011 | Reply

Direct Relief International is a wonderful way to channel funds directly towards Japan relief.

March 25, 2011 | Reply

Check out these awesome shirts!

• Ashley

March 25, 2011 | Reply
  • 網頁設計

March 25, 2011 | Reply

hooray, your writings on theater and writing much missed!

• carlyjcais

March 26, 2011 | Reply

@Jessica: Actually the IFRC (governing body of all Red Crosses worldwide) stated explicitly on their site that funds earmarked for Japan disaster relief will be donated directly to the Japanese Red Cross to be used in the communities affected. (http://www.ifrc.org/en/what-we-do/disaster-management/responding/ongoing-operations/japan-earthquake/about-the-donations-to-japan/) The American Red Cross issued a similar statement a few days ago, except I can’t locate it online for the life of me…

If you donate, it will go to where it is needed according to the official verdict!
    xoxox
    Carly

• carlyjcais

March 26, 2011 | Reply

I also wanted to let you know about Socks for Japan (http://jasonkelly/helpjapan) as well – an organization that is working to collect donations of socks and care letters from around the world to hand directly to the survivors in the temporary shelters. Many people fleeing from the tsunami were barefoot (Japanese people don’t wear shoes indoors), and were wet through. Now housed in temporary shelters, many of which have no heat, people have only the clothes on their backs and have not showered or changed in almost 2 weeks. This effort is in addition to, and not instead of, the main relief efforts provided by the Red Cross and other organizations in Japan, and seeks to provide some warmth for the feet – and warmth for the heart, to show to someone directly that someone far away cares for them (as many people are isolated in these centers with no phones, tvs, computers, or way of communicating with the outside world and their loved ones.

I sent 38 pairs of socks + care letters, and this morning saw a photo online of a woman in a shelter beaming and holding up my letter. You can see my post about it here (http://www.chic-steals.com/2011/03/the-socks-i-sent-to-japan-arrived.html). There is also an extensive FAQ on the official site, which should answer most any questions someone would have about this.

I broke down so many times while reading the whole experience…and seeing the photos…it’s just unbelievable to think that my socks reached someone so far away! I would send 10,000 more just to be able to bring a smile like that to someone’s face.

Although I donated money to 2 organizations already, sometimes with money it’s so impersonal, and impossible to trace – funneled through organization after organization, operating fees deducted etc… To be able to do something DIRECTLY makes this organization a little different, I thought.

Just something to think about if you wanted to do something beyond donating money.
    xoxo
    Carly

• Shann

March 28, 2011 | Reply

http://www.soles4souls.org/ is another way to donate for Japan.

• Mila

August 7, 2012 | Reply

Japanese earthquake was awful, it seems that all the world for paying and crying for Japan. Maybe it’s wrong to say this, but such disasters make people closer, when it has happened people from different parts of the world were trying to help and transferred money to help Japan. Some people think that donation need lots of money and do not do anything at all. I am sure that even a little financial help makes sense, for example, if every one bought this cute bear it would already a valueble help.