Project Office Makeover : Before Photos

LeRoy on the Ikea boxes

* LeRoy sitting on all the Ikea Expedit desk boxes *

At the end of January 2010, when we moved into our new house, I was most inspired to decorate my office/closet/dressing room …as it happens to be the room I spend the most time in. A little over a year later, I am finally finishing the project.

The main hold up for me was finding the right desk …for the right price. Since I use this room as an office/closet/dressing room, I had originally imagined using the white Ikea Expedit 6×6 shelves as a room divider, separating my office area from my closet area. Once we moved in however, I realized the room was not large enough for that to work and I gave up on it. It wasn’t until last November when I realized that Ikea had a desk option for the Expedit that I became inspired again. I neeeeeeeeeeeeed the storage space the Expedit offers {it also should be known that we have a 6×6 one in the living room, a 5×5 in the guest room and two more single units in the living room as well}. Yeah, I’m obviously obsessed with cubbies! They’re just too handy!

Of course, if you follow my Tweets you may remember my trip to Ikea to get said Expedit desk and how they were sold out of it and how I was ranting about how Ikea was not a furniture store at all but more hell on earth. About a month later, the desk system finally became available online and to avoid Ikea aggravation again, I had it delivered …and it arrived last week.

So, I give you what the office side of my Office/Closet/Dressing room {aka …love Maegan Studio} looks like now …what it has looked like since we moved in over a year ago …though the dueling iMacs is only since Christmas. I got a new iMac but didn’t have all my programs on the new one so have been using both for the past 3 months …and killing my back doing so.

Office Before - corner 1

Office Desk Before

Office Desk Before - storage

Office Before - reflection in mirror

* Reflection from the mirror to my open closet door

* New desk system . . .

Screen shot 2011-04-03 at 11.27.28 AM Screen shot 2011-04-03 at 11.27.12 AM Screen shot 2011-04-03 at 11.27.58 AM Screen shot 2011-04-03 at 11.28.06 AM

* I CAN’T WAIT to fill all those little cubbies up!

… you may want to check out *

* Office/Closet/Dressing Room Inspiration Photo Post.

* My vintage antiqued desk where I keep my jewelry and accessories.

* My Closet …in the same room, as it is now.

* My Office, with the same desk in our old condo. I think I’ve had this desk since 2000.

* CLICK HERE to See My Finished Home Office/Dressing Room *

Share/Bookmark

• Dubravka Dodig

April 3, 2011 | Reply
  • Felicia

April 3, 2011 | Reply

I also have the Expedit bookshelves and have a glass top desk from Ikea–love them both. And I have a version of that chair at work and was shocked when I heard how much they cost!!! Very comfy though if you have it on the right setting.

P.S. This looks like it’s straight out of a catalog! Looks great!

P.P.S. Just saw that my word verification is “demon.” That’s very fitting for me, HAHA!

• Kat

April 3, 2011 | Reply

First off — Mac <3!!

Secondly, I love homes (and decor in general) that looks like it came together over time… where you found things periodically that you loved and somehow they all managed to “go” together.

That’s how I decorate… and that’s why I love when you post pictures of your home, because it has that feel to it.

• AKB

April 3, 2011 | Reply

I think that Leroy really makes the whole thing. :) If I could pick up a Frenchie at Ikea for my office, I would do it. Haha! I love him …

The room looks great! It really came together nicely.

• Felicia

April 3, 2011 | Reply

Oops, I did actually read all of this post and didn’t realize it was before. Sorry, I was drunk when I read it and then commented!

Still looks great either way before OR after!

• Jody

April 3, 2011 | Reply

Looks great. Loving on Leroy! I need to do a inspiration board too.

April 3, 2011 | Reply

leroy is looking very DOMINANT in this shot! lol! so cute!

and your “before” office is already 4 zillion times better than my current office! lol. can’t wait to see your new office look!

p.s. watched capitalism: a love story last night. i was enraged. and depressed and teary eyed. gah!!!! might have to watch it again. thank you for loaning it to me!!!

• Missy

April 3, 2011 | Reply

This is too funny! I had that EXACT desk for two years and recently gave it away because we moved. Today I was standing in my new home office space wishing you could show up and tell me what to do! It’s a blank canvas right now and I could use some Maegan design muscle. :)

• *amanda*

April 4, 2011 | Reply

So lovely and airy…I have a stack of old mags that mother wants ‘toss’ I say ‘keep’…
    …after seeing this…KEEEEEEEEP.
    ;)

• Collections

April 4, 2011 | Reply

Your office looks beautiful and your dog is adorable!!

• alison*elle

April 4, 2011 | Reply

Your “before” office already looks great… I can’t even imagine how your new one is going to look!

xo, alison*elle

• Lili

April 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m such a HUGE fan of Expedit! I still have the cheap Billy shelves from my student times, but I hope to switch them to Expedit soon, probably with the desk as well! Can’t wait, haha!
    Oh and I think LeRoy is looking so adorable :-) But seriously, who doesn’t? ^^

Relatable Style

• Marisa

April 4, 2011 | Reply

Wow I’d kill for your current office! Haha, can’t wait to see when it’s all done!

• Craftmaker

April 4, 2011 | Reply

The new desk is lovely! Can’t wait till Tuesday to see how it all turns out.

• Sara Pierce

April 4, 2011 | Reply

That photo cracks me up. He’s totally playing king of the mountain on those boxes!

• bachman's sparrow

April 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m finally redoing my office as well! I love Ikea…can’t wait to have some proper desk space/storage. Thanks for the inspiration :)

xoxo Maria

• CharisaB

April 7, 2011 | Reply

I bet you would enjoy my blog!

• czarina

June 10, 2011 | Reply

I love the desk. It’s good for working plus it organizes your stuff. Great job!