* How I Re-grew My Orchids *

my kitchen window orchids in the sink soaking

For at least 7 years, if not 10, I have tried and failed at regrowing my orchids. So while this seems like a bit of a boring post, I am silly with excitement over the fact that I regrew not one but TWO ORCHIDS… but also, you guys keep asking me how I did it…

SO, without any magic techniques, this is how I regrew my orchids …accidentally, but totally on purpose.

1. IF when all my orchids fall off the stem, their LEAVES are still a vibrant and healthy green, I snip the dead stem or stems to about 2 or 3 inches tall. ****UPDATE: The one shown here is much taller than I normally cut them. I’ve learned you can actually cut them down almost all the way to the base.

regrowing orchids

2. I do NOT replant them but instead, leave them in their original plastic surroundings, though I may switch them into different pots. {see plastic container in glass vase below sill}

regrowing orchids in my kitchen

3. Once a week I soak or drench them all in water {in their own pots} in the kitchen sink for a few hours {see the first photo}. I then tip and empty out the pots that do not have drainage holes so all the excess water is removed. They all should be moist within their root system.

regrowing orchids on my kitchen window sill

4. I place them on my kitchen window sill or around my kitchen sink. There must be something exceptional about the light that filters through my kitchen window because this is where the magic happens. A. It faces South B. It gets some direct sunlight through the day but does happen to stay a little cooler there {until my husband opens the window and the heat melts my babies} So the temperature must be a key ingredient to success as well. Unfortunately, I do not know the exact temperature of the area surrounding my kitchen sink but again, it is a bit cooler than other parts of the house.

regrow orchids

And really, that’s about it. It did take some time but since my leaves remained green, I considered them healthy and alive and continued the weekly process. One took only about 3 months to re-bloom and the other was more around 6 months. But patience is key. And green leaves are just as nice to look at in the meantime.

The below photo was taken in March …see the orchids in the same green pot in the back? They were still alive then …and the other I had already prepped and was waiting for. It bloomed first {yellow} but took longer to. Then again, see the one all the way to the left in the glass vase? I’m still waiting for that one {see first pic}. And what I’m noticing RIGHT NOW via my own photos is MOSS. I kept the moss atop of the root systems of the two on the sill that regrew the fastest. Maybe there’s something to the moss …keeping it moister longer?

UPDATE: There IS something to the moss. I added it to all the orchids I was trying to regrow and because it keeps the moisture atop the roots longer, they seem to grow back quicker! Today is February 9, 2012 and I just got my first bloom from the purple orchids that were dormant in the short glass vase in the photo below. I have one on either side of my sink now, not on the ledge, have switched them to white pots, added moss, and one has bloomed just today.. See my newest orchid Instagram shot here

orchids in the sink watered

Good Luck & Have Fun!

Tweet This!

• Kelly Anne

July 22, 2011 | Reply

I am having trouble with a mini dahlia myself, but I think it is because of spider mites, so I am trying to learn how to control those!
    Love your orchids! They are beautiful and it’s not a boring post at all!

• Maiken

July 22, 2011 | Reply

I will try that, beause orchids is my favorite flower :-D My mom will also love this guide :-D

Hugs from Denmark :-)

• Craftmaker

July 22, 2011 | Reply

Oh, I love orchids! But I don’t make up my mind to buy one because they are expensive and difficult to keep. I don’t want to kill them! So for now I just stare at them when I walk pass a nursery…

• Antonia

July 22, 2011 | Reply

Beautidul pics! I love orchids, have them in all colors, my fave is white! :)

Hoping to see you on our blog,

xoxo
    Antonia

• a minute to spare

July 22, 2011 | Reply

Once again thank you for the tips on Instragram!

Instragram ID: guadalupeo

You always tend to know more about other stuff and your advise is always taken greatly!

• anhesty

July 22, 2011 | Reply

Im not good with flowers but plants without any flowering i can keep. my succulents are dying… your orchids are beautiful!

• -Claire

July 22, 2011 | Reply

This is such perfect timing-the last flower just fell off my orchid and I was feeling rather sad about it. Mine sits in the kitchen window too-flowers make doing dishes far less annoying. I’ll give it a soak straight away, thank you so much for the tips!

• Cait

July 22, 2011 | Reply

I think of orchids as an investment – even if you can’t get them to re-bloom, you still get more bang for your buck than cut flowers, which don’t last anywhere near as long.

Thanks for the tips! I am working with an orchid in a terrarium that has layers of rocks on the bottom and it seems really happy, but no buds to be seen yet. Fingers crossed! I’ve heard placing orchids in front of mirrors helps, too, I guess because the light is more even?

Do you fertilize at all?

I love your blog, Maegan, keep up the fantastic work!

Caitlin

• DiamondsandTulle

July 22, 2011 | Reply

Oh thanks for the tip! I’ve been trying for probably about 10 years also to get my orchids to re-grow!
    I’ve had tips like : cut off the top 2-3″ when all the flowers fall off – didn’t work. Leave them outside (which my BFF did and her orchids re-grew) – mine did NOT.
    In our new house, my orchids without flowers have actually sprouted new leaves so I take that as a good sign. I’m going to try and cut down the stem like you showed. Thanks for the tips Maegan! :) Have a great weekend!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

• K

July 22, 2011 | Reply

the timing of this post could not be more perfect! This morning I noticed my poor orchid was in a sorry state and I hate the thought of just giving up because I really don’t know what to do, but now I have some hope!

July 22, 2011 | Reply

OK, the kind of orchids you have are the easiest orchids to re-grow. Very very simple. You must give them a “winter” period of rest. You water them less and at night temeperature needs to be quite cool. Orchids need to receive a lot of sunshine but in the summer direct sunlight is not ideal so better if flowers are on the window behind a net curtain. I do not soak them in a sink – simply water them directly. Make sure you feed them with orchid fertiliser every two weeks in the summer. One of my orchids bloomed 3 times in 1 year. No need to overcomplicate things :)

• daer0n

July 22, 2011 | Reply

I just have to say, how much I loove that little pink (rhino?) pot that you have there, sooo cute!

• stacy

July 23, 2011 | Reply

this is very useful information!

thank you.

• Catita

July 23, 2011 | Reply

this is a great post, thanks for the tips. My 2 orchids have just dried up so I will put your advice into practice!
    thx
    xoxo
    Catita

• ~ronda

July 23, 2011 | Reply

Thanks! These are great tips…

• The.Red.See

July 23, 2011 | Reply

Thank you for these tips. I have an orchid and literally all the flowers fell off one after another. Who would have thought a simple plant would be so difficult to keep alive and healthy!

• Katie

July 23, 2011 | Reply

My plants and I were very much in need for this post! Anyone have any hints on reviving African Violets? They baked a bit outside when I was moving into my new apartment and they are struggling to bounce back.

• art deco engagement rings

July 24, 2011 | Reply

I love orchids.. the colors are so lovely. Everything in life takes work to keep alive !

• Wendy

July 24, 2011 | Reply

Actually, Orchids need very little water. They do best if they’re hanging in a dry, shaded place that gets a lot of fresh air flow in a container that allows for their roots to be somewhat exposed. You want to water them, like you said, once a week but just enough to get them wet. Feed/trim them accordingly and they should reproduce with no problem (granted at a slow pace but that’s normal.)

• stylethief

July 25, 2011 | Reply

So kind of you, sharing this with us :) Im a huge idiot when it comes to flowers.. Thank you! :)

• Jill

July 25, 2011 | Reply

congratulations! I know how rewarding and just plain exciting it is. We keep ours in the shower on a window sill. It’s been working so far. Sadly, we are the only ones who see them, though.

• Tine

July 26, 2011 | Reply

I do the same thing pretty much! Except when I cut down the stems, I coat the top of the stem in cinnamon powder. It supposedly “seals” the plant’s wound from being cut and prevents any kind of plant infection. Sounds really silly, but it works!

• Chessa!

July 26, 2011 | Reply

where was this post last year when I so desperately needed it. I had an orchid that was so gorgeous and then it just “died” – I knew the flowers wouldn’t last forever but it looked awful. the petals fell and I continued to water it but it was so depressing to look at that I just ended up getting rid of it. these are gorgeous!

oh and btw, I love Achilles! you should definitely take the little guy to the vet to make sure he has all his shots and everything. I remember we had a stray a million years ago when I was a kid. I used to leave a little bowl of milk every day. my mother found out and that was the end of that. not bc she’s not an animal lover or anything but she really did not want to have all the other stray cats coming along. I stopped leaving the milk and for a few days I could hear the cat meowing like crazy for it. then he just gave up and stopped coming. sigh. it makes me sad to think about it now.

July 27, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for this post! How did you know “google how to re-grow orchids” was on my to-do list? Love your blog and your style!

August 19, 2011 | Reply

Once a week I add three ice cubes to each pot. This slowly adds just enough water.

June 21, 2012 | Reply

My daughter follows your blog and sent this post to me. My flowers are just now beginning to fall. So now I know what to do. The leaves still look great so I’ll be sure to follow the instructions. I have also read that they prefer the cooler temps and the flower petals will die in direct outdoor sunlight. I also read that you cannot leave them sitting in water. The excess water has to be drained off and the leaves don’t like to have water on them either.

October 29, 2012 | Reply

Great post — thanks for the tips!

• Klarina Cara

February 4, 2013 | Reply

Hi brilliant Maegen, I need to re plant my orchid urgently. Appreciate if you’d offer some help! :) I received a orchid flowers from my boyfriend two days ago and I’d grow them in a pot. Is this possible? As the orchid has root cut off and was given to me as a gift as a bunch of nice fresh flowers. As you are amazing in regrowing your orchid, I look very much forward to hear good advices from you on how to re-plant my orchid flowers in a pot. I truly want to grow my orchid into a nice pot before the flowers begins to fall. Your prompt reply will be very much helpful & appreciated! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Have a good day! Please send your kind reply to my email redklarina@gmail.com . Thanks lots! :)

• Pamela Graham

April 1, 2013 | Reply

If you have a Lowes in your area, sometimes they put them in their hospital cart when they stop blooming and did not sell. I usually get them for $4 or $6 depending on the size. Then you don’t feel so bad trying to salvage them! Pamie G.

• Gujjar

September 13, 2013 | Reply

Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful, that’s what matters to me.
    college book report