My Sewing Machine: 1970’s Singer Genie 353

Vintage-Singer-sewing-machine---70's

This was the sewing machine I learned to sew on… well not this exact one but my mom’s Singer Genie 353. It is the most basic of sewing machines yet my favorite by far and has worked tirelessly for my mom and me since the 70’s when she acquired it.

A few years ago, after hoarding my mom’s Singer for years {possibly decades} the time came where she grew tired of asking ME to borrow HER machine. So she did a little research and tracked down an exact replica and gave it to me for Christmas.

When I opened the gift, I was a bit confused actually, I thought to myself… Why has mom wrapped up her sewing machine when it’s basically mine anyway? {kids are so selfish, aren’t they?!} to which she explained that it was my very own Vintage Singer Genie 353 sewing machine so I wouldn’t need to steal hers any more. Hers works better though, just like my brother’s icy cold Dr. Pepper always tastes better than mine!

Vintage-Sewing-Machine-Singer-Genie-353

Singer-Genie-353-Sewing-Machine-from-the-70s

Singer-Genie-353---Sewing-Machine-from-the-70s

Vintage-Singer-Genie-353-Sewing-Machine-from-the-70s

foot-on-sewing-machine-pedal

The other day I received an email from the lovely people from SINGER® Sewing Company announcing the launch of www.mySINGERstory.com — an interactive website that invites sewing fans across the country to share their personal stories and memories of SINGER® sewing machines in honor of the brand’s 160th anniversary and I thought my story was obviously particularly interesting enough to share. So I did and I thought you may like to share your story as well. I can’t be the ONLY one using a vintage Singer, right?

What’s also fun is the website includes a historical look-up feature that allows people to learn where and when their antique machines were manufactured just by entering a serial number.

Through December, each person who submits a story on mySINGERstory.com will have a chance to win one of the first commemorative edition sewing machines to hit the market in January 2012. This technologically advanced machine will boast innovative features, yet its design and appearance will harken back to the iconic SINGER® machines of years past. The antique-inspired machine is Singer Sewing Company’s tribute to the brand’s rich history and an opportunity to introduce the modern innovations of sewing to the next generation of sewers everywhere.

* You can also find the Singer Sewing Company on Facebook

Vintage-Singer-Genie---353--Sewing-Machine-from-the-70s

Tweet This!

LA native & lifestyle blogger Maegan Tintari writes daily at ...love Maegan.com sharing beauty & style secrets, including fashion DIYs, how-to nail art manicures, hair tutorials, recipes & home decorating ideas, as well as a look into her personal life, her journey & battle with infertility & recent relocation to the mountains by a lake in search of a better life with her adorable French Bulldog brothers, Trevor and Randy.

• Sarah Jean

August 31, 2011 | Reply

So jealous. I was going to steal my mom’s Singer, too, but her’s caught on fire a few weeks ago, so now I’m looking to buy my own.

• Matter Of Style

How cute! It’s adorable!

• Clio

August 31, 2011 | Reply

I got my mom’s sewing machine this year as a birthday-gift. Nobody of my friends understood why I was soooo happy with that 🙂

• Golla

August 31, 2011 | Reply

Sweet story and sweet sewing machine! I bought an ancient grey cast iron PFAFF machine. Because my mother had one, of course 🙂

• Lynnette

August 31, 2011 | Reply

That is so cute. Really cool that you have that, and I love that white rug!

*Lynnette

• K.M.

so nice ..!

alldressedupin-loce.blogspot.com

• antique engagement rings

August 31, 2011 | Reply

Love vintage… and I love your shoes!

• Charlotte

August 31, 2011 | Reply

How glam, sewing in wedges with painted nails!

• Little Tree Vintage

August 31, 2011 | Reply

love that machine the pattern is awesome!!

August 31, 2011 | Reply

I have been following your blog for a few months now and it has quickly become a fave. Your blog is not as shallow and sticky sweet as most others that I have encountered. I like how “real” you are. Keep up the good work!

• Della

August 31, 2011 | Reply

Ha, my Mom made me buy my own sewing machine at age nine! I love the Genie, it seems to be a favorite among the sewing blogs, too.

• Lorena

OMG !
    You can’t imagine how hyped I am !
    I have my great grandmother’s Singer sewing machine.
    My grandmother got tired of looking at it (she can’t sew anymore due to bad eyesight) and 3 months ago I got home and it was in my living room.
    I am going to look this machine up, its in a wood stand, I guess it’s from the 50’s…. and it still works.
    THANK YOU for sharing this !

• Jeana

August 31, 2011 | Reply

Love it! My mom has had the same sewing machine since she graduated from college in the mid 70s and it is still going strong. My dad has offered to get her a new one, but she refuses. I learned to sew on that machine. My parents gave me a brand new one for Christmas that I adore, but I still have a sentimental attachment to hers (and I can work it better)!

• Annie

August 31, 2011 | Reply

I bought my Janome Threadbanger bc 1) it reminded me of my mum’s sewing machine I learned on and 2) bc I loved the design on it! Great post, you’re always an inspiration.

xxAnnie

• Amanne

August 31, 2011 | Reply

How cute. I love that you’re using the same vintage machine as your mother.

I’m planning on taking some sewing classes and was already confused by all the different sewing machines out there. I’ll definitely take a look at Singer machines. Thanks.

• Katherine

August 31, 2011 | Reply

Wow what an amazing gift! That is so sweet of your mom 🙂 It looks very cool too!

• Islandia Lane

August 31, 2011 | Reply

love the sewing machine desk set up/decor! Always fun to think back on good memories and even better you can continue to make new with the old! 😉

• Brown Birdy

August 31, 2011 | Reply

Love it! I sew on my moms 32 yr old machine! She finally gifted it to me and bought herself a new one 😉

• clarity enhanced diamonds

September 1, 2011 | Reply

Whata great sewing machine.

• mauishopgirl

September 2, 2011 | Reply

Love the modern chair with the vintage table and sewing machine…I learned on my mom’s old singer too, made an ugly lavendar aloha print strapless dress with elastic at the top and under the bust. My sister now has Singer custody because she is much more sewier than I am.

September 2, 2011 | Reply

I got this same machine in 1973. It was a great machine and sewed everything from chiffon to heavy vinyl for bean bag chairs. Even made 65 pairs of curtains for a hotel. But the special part was that your grandfather got the machine for me. Love ya, g

• oh, jenny mae

September 6, 2011 | Reply

sweet singer! the first machine i sewed on was an antique singer. the big metal kind! i made curtains and a crib bumper for the twins when i was pregnant. ahh…memories.

and how in the world do you sew with heels on, let alone shoes?!? i can barely sew in socks! heh.

• The little darkling

October 30, 2011 | Reply

I recently got my own singer 2250 tradition and i’m wondering if it can sew denim and fake leather, or is called pleather?

• Patrick

June 12, 2015 | Reply

I was just at the thrift store last night and found this exact machine! works amazing, love the design

• Mona

August 10, 2017 | Reply

My Mom was only 42 years old when she bought her Singer Genie Lightweight Portable Zig-Zag Sewing Machine Model 353. (The Instruction Booklet has the copyright of 1972) It was made in France. Mom had only used it a couple of times when she passed away the following year. I inherited a practically brand new Genie and have been using it (very lightly) ever since. I’m going to take it to my local Singer repair store and have it cleaned, oiled and a couple of parts replaced, if needed. He said he has worked on this model before and parts are still available! It’s now 201; I am 62 years old and always, when I use this Genie, I feel Mom is with me and send up a prayer. I will never part with it!