Dining Room Need: More Storage

thanksgiving tabletop+dining room+tables with benches+holiday table decorating+decorarting with ikat and antlers+DIY table
Our Thanksgiving table, 2010 & DIY pop art canvases

It has come to my attention that we are in dire need of more kitchen and dining room storage and a proper bar. Yes, maybe it’s because I keep buying dishes and glassware and decanters that I don’t necessarily need but when I find a gem or four at a vintage shop, I’m not one to pass it or them up. The “proper bar” part is the husband’s need to be more Draper-esque, but anything that warrants me buying new furniture is a plus in my eyes.

I never really “finished” the dining room. I kind of just said “good enough” and walked away. While I LOVE the bench, the chairs are from the old dining room table that is no longer with us. I don’t mind them because they match the wood on the mantel, but at some point I would like a new set of chairs to actually match the table.

We’ve been using a set of old shelves that were headed for the Goodwill until I decided to give them a little makeover temporarily as a bar. But now I need more storage, as I stated above, and cupboards to keep dust out! I’d also like a longer storage unit because I have a pair of vintage lamps I’d like to add to each end and add more light to the room.

The shelves will get a new home in the game room as storage for the husband’s growing comic book collection, *sigh* and other boy things. Since we haven’t played Rock Band since last Halloween, I’d like to get the plastic drums and DDR pads out and the shelves in.

But enough chit chat… here are a few buffet/sideboard/bars I’ve got my eyeballs on.

Screen shot 2011-10-18 at 10.20.32 PM

* Amelie Mirrored Buffet on sale for $1,339 at Neiman Marcus

Screen shot 2011-10-18 at 9.51.01 PM

* Stanley Continuum Woven Buffet $2,299 {way out of the budget}

img47o

* West Elm Foxed Mirrored Buffet $849

41VGGlHdjbL

* I like the idea of putting two of these Demi-Lune Silver Consoles $403, side by side.

Screen shot 2011-10-18 at 11.27.50 PM

* HeatherBrooke Flour Door Console/Buffet $950 but I also found the same one here for $769

Screen shot 2011-10-18 at 10.22.42 PM

* Venice Console $1,399 + $350 delivery

img46o

* West Elm Niche Dining Buffet $549

But in all honesty, I’d really like to find a piece in the $300 range. So before buying any of these, I’m going to check my local Salvation Army, Goodwill, Discovery Thrift Store, and the Sherman Oaks Antique Mall hoping to find a really unique vintage or used sideboard. I’d love to find one that I don’t have to refinish but I’d be willing to give it a makeover I suppose.

* I think because we’re still renting, I have a hard time committing to pieces I may have to “live with” once we do buy our house. Sometimes I’d rather make due while renting so that we can really go over the top and get everything we want when it’s more permanent. Idunno.

Tweet This!

• Amanda

October 19, 2011 | Reply

Oh wow Maegan, all the options you picked out look amazing! I swear, every time i read your blog, i get this uncharacteristic desire to be at the stage in my life where i get to decorate a house, haha. Definitely not ready for that yet though!

• Food, she thought.

October 19, 2011 | Reply

I love both mirrored side boards, especiallythe second for you. But I agree about renting & buying. If you are waiting to buy a home, thrift it UP girl’

• K.M.

October 19, 2011 | Reply

nice pictures..everything looks so nice ♥

• Nicole

Great selection!

Kisses from Hong Kong,
    Nicole

• ♔Reyna♔

October 19, 2011 | Reply

I really love the HeatherBrooke Flour Door Console/Buffet, plus compared to the others, not as pricy. But, for sure, finding one in the $300 range would be great since the extra money could go towards more decorating, maybe even 2 nice chairs at both ends of the table? Hope you find something fabulous!

Reyna
    @glamourglory

• Schnelle Couture

October 19, 2011 | Reply

I love the first 2. The second one looks like a refinished vintage sideboard. If you find the right piece at Sal Val or a garage sale, you could totally do it yourself.

• Galaxia

October 19, 2011 | Reply

I love the bench seating : )

So…when are you going to come decorate my place?

• crystal

October 19, 2011 | Reply

Tell me more about your light fixture in your dining room…..!

• Steph | glitter and goat cheese

October 19, 2011 | Reply

I LOVE that first West Elm one!
    Have you looked at Home Decorators? They have a whole collection of gorgeous mirrored sideboards for pretty cheap! http://www.homedecorators.com/search.php?search=reflections

• jenn~the stylish housewife

October 19, 2011 | Reply

i LOVE all of them! you just gave me a GREAT gift idea for my husband for xmas. he would LOVE a little vintage-ish bar in the house. i am SO bad at interior design. would LOVE my house to look like yours!

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

• Fabrizia Spinelli

October 19, 2011 | Reply

Wow, I’m in love with the table of the first picture! I like you style!
    Take a look at my blog, and if you like it follow me, I’ll be waiting for you!

Cosa mi metto???

• Amanne | UrbanBedouGirl.com

October 19, 2011 | Reply

Love the Amelie Mirrored Buffet. If I let myself run wild I’d probably have mirrored furniture all over my house.

• dirty girl

October 19, 2011 | Reply

gasp! the first mirrored one is TO-DIE-FOR! i just love it!

but i bet you will find a budget friendly number and you’ll make it werk. lol

• T

October 19, 2011 | Reply

Oh I bet you could DIY something like the mirrored ones (especially the first west elm one) with silver leaf and trim onto a “found” dresser

• Liesl

October 19, 2011 | Reply

Loving all your ideas for storage and I think it is wonderful to go check out some of your local places firs because you might just stumble upon a great find and I bet you could turn anything into quite the treasure! I was not aware of the Sherman Oaks Antique Mall, I have no idea why no…I’ll have to check it out! :)

Liesl :)

• Reduction Redoute

October 24, 2011 | Reply

Loving your idea i was planning the same for my dinning room i do have a huge kitchen but at times i feel that a dining room must have a cabinet where i should keep my special occasion crockery.

• dich vu seo

March 9, 2012 | Reply

Consider a lingerie chest. Its a great way to utilize a narrow wall, since such chests are usually tall, the extra height makes for extra capacity. Instead of a server, try a low bookcase—most are less than 1 foot deep, while servers often take up 1 ½ feet or more. Built-in shelves can add interest to a neutral scheme. Let family photos and personal treasures take centre stage and fill the bottom shelves with DVDs and books.