Making Martha’s Deliciously Healthy Oatmeal Smoothies

heathy smoothie recipe

Of all the creative outlets I prefer, cooking, baking, really anything involved in making things with food, are not high on my list. My thoughts originally on the subject were as follows: Once I have kids, I’ll start cooking. And now, still childless, my thoughts on the subject are as follows: The only way I’ll cook is if I start a food blog.

Though I am cooking all of LeRoy’s meals now out of necessity, I am not interested in actually cooking anything else in my kitchen. Occasionally, maybe once every 2 weeks or so, I do, but mostly, we eat out or order in. If you’ll notice, the few recipes I have blogged about do not involve actual “cooking”. {See my Easy & Healthy Summer Snacks, my Yogurt Pie, and my Peanut Butter Squares and now I can add this one to the list}

When I saw this photo on Pinterest, 10 weeks ago now, with the description “OATMEAL SMOOTHIE”, I was intrigued.

Oatmeal in a smoothie? I had to try it. But I had to get a blender first.

oatmeal smoothie recipe

Ingredients: {as per Martha’s Oatmeal Smoothie Recipe}

* 1 cup ice
* 1/2 cup frozen raspberries I actually bought fresh raspberries, then put them in the freezer, not realizing I could just buy a bag of frozen raspberries. Yeah.
* 1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt blech
* 1 banana
* 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 1 cup coconut water (or other liquid, such as juice) I used cran-raspberry juice because that’s all I had. Though I know the point of this smoothie was no added sugar, it wasn’t my goal. Also note: I used the entire cup as stated in the ingredients, then watched the little video which used much less.

yummy fruit oatmeal smoothie

I was color coordinating food. Should I have put the bananas at the bottom instead or does it matter?

Directions: Place ice and raspberries in the bottom of blender, and all other ingredients on top. Whir until completely smooth. Serve.

healthy smoothie recipe

Other than the fact that I can’t stand seeds from fruit in my mouth and the fact that the oats sort of added to the seed factor, making it feel like I had sand stuck in my teeth, the smoothie was good. The husband said it tasted like a Jamba Juice, which sounds like a win to me and my mom loved it.

So aside from having to clean the blender out and feeling like I’m swallowing a mouthful of sand, I’d probably make this again using about a half a cup of juice and maybe adding a little more honey {or even sugar ;} to the mix. It would actually be a great breakfast alternative to my Coffee Bean Ice Blended Mochas.

I mentioned it being fun to serve at Easter and my mom quickly added… With a little bit of alcohol in it. Which yeah, would really make the seeds more bearable.

mom drinking a smoothie-

• freeteyme

January 27, 2012 | Reply

Oatmeal and smoothie – new to me, I’ll try the recipe maybe without the oatmeal though lol…. Oh and coconut water is very good with chocolate martinis :)

Tey

• Food, she thought.

January 27, 2012 | Reply

I tend to only cook when I am inspired or have someone special to cool for, and I write a food blog ffs!!! The oatmealy texture sounds kind of annoying but the flavors sound amaze. For Easter, try a snoothy my mom makes: equal parts frozen lemonade concentrate, half & half & vodka. Add ice & blend. :-D

• House of Avandan

Looks delicious!

A jewelry blog.

• Kylie

January 27, 2012 | Reply

I don’t use sugar in my smoothies at all, and they tase delicious. I have to make my own because I’m hypoglycemic, so I’ve played with different recipes. My favorite is adding cranberries, strawberries, mango, and orange juice. I promise you that you do not need sugar – you won’t even miss it. If you want to cut down on the tart, add a banana! No ice necessary, either.

Sometimes, I even add a hint of spinach because you can’t taste it. Spinach benefits without the taste? Hell yeah!

• GlamorousGirl

• jenn~the stylish housewife

your mom is so cute!

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

• Erica

January 27, 2012 | Reply

Hmm sounds interesting & I like it as a breakfast alternative!

• Daniela

January 27, 2012 | Reply

looks good! I’ll give it a try

• Dee

January 27, 2012 | Reply

try putting the oatmeal in the blender alone and blending it some. It will make it a little more like powder then add the rest of the ingredients. It should make it less sandy feeling when you drink it. Steel cut oats work well too. A little more expensive but process better.

January 27, 2012 | Reply

oh i made it this morning. It was a breakfast /lunch combo!
    definitely adds to my fibre intake and output if you know what i mean;-)
    Thanks for sharing,
    L

• Megan, The Frugalista Diaries

January 27, 2012 | Reply

Maegan you’re so funny! I love your wit. On another note, it looks good, but sand isn’t on the top of my to eat list so…maybe pass.

and how stunning is your mom, you’re like twins!

• Jessica

January 27, 2012 | Reply

Seriously, your mom looks like she could be your sister!

• Andrea Clare

January 27, 2012 | Reply

MMM I love smoothies, I have them all the time. So yummy in the summer made with a bunch of frozen berries. Delicious dessert!

• Kelly

January 27, 2012 | Reply

I should not read blogs when I’m hungry. I legitimately just got up, pulled apart my freezer, and made an oatmeal smoothie. Delicious!

Though I must admit that the tiny oatmeal particles are making me couch from time to time, but totally worth it!

• Me salen alas (si me paras los pies...)

Hi!! I vote for you here ;D

• Colleen

January 27, 2012 | Reply

I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it! Adorable and these smoothies look deliiiicious!!! I’m definitely trying them! You have a new follower here! :)

Colleen

• Pointy Pix

January 27, 2012 | Reply

you and your mum are soooo alike. plus she must’ve been really young whenshe had you.

• Nicole

January 28, 2012 | Reply

For me, this recipe sounds good! Have to try it!

Kisses from Hong Kong,
    Nicole

• information technology

January 28, 2012 | Reply

this blog is very very nice

• jaipur property dealer

January 28, 2012 | Reply

fantastic

• Maddy

January 28, 2012 | Reply

I made one this morning and used greek yogurt instead. It is extra creamy and adds lots of extra protein without a ton of extra calories! I also added some raw baby spinach, which seems weird, but it’s a great smoothie trick for adding tons of extra nutrients! Best part you can’t even taste it! Thanks Maegan for your non-cooking recipes, they are always great!

• Melissa Blake

January 28, 2012 | Reply

This looks sooo delicious! xoxo

• iNHERiT.THE.WiND

January 28, 2012 | Reply
  • Saturday Sequins

January 29, 2012 | Reply

I’ve never had an oatmeal smoothie before, but I love spinach smoothies — and they don’t taste like sand! Or spinach.

I do 1 cup milk, 1 to 2 large handfulls fresh spinach, 1 frozen banana, and 1/2 avocado, and the result is creamy and delicious. Especially if you blend the spinach and avocado completely before adding the banana.

Honestly, these taste so good, I feel like I’m getting away with something!

– Sarah @ Saturday Sequins

• Ari

January 29, 2012 | Reply

That smoothie sounds amazing! I agree with the seeds thing too. It feels so weird! As far as cooking, I happen to love it. Mostly because it is such a great stress release for me…. chopping veggies, and cutting meat…. Me, anger issues? Naaaaaaw…

Anyways, I would love to see you add food to your blogging repertoire.

• Michelle Thiele

January 29, 2012 | Reply

Sounds yummy! To avoid the seed issue, you could substitute raspberry purée and freeze it in ice cube trays before blending everything together. And you could try soaking the oats in the liquid before blending to give them a smoother texture too. Thanks for sharing!

• Haidée

January 29, 2012 | Reply

Love the yummy smoothie and love your blog really inspiring

• Yulia

January 29, 2012 | Reply

wow you look just like your mom!!! but I’m sure I’m not the first one to tell you this :)

and by the way I love your blog, it’s so inspiring!

• Anna K.outure

January 30, 2012 | Reply

That looks so good! I’ll have to try it now ;)

February 1, 2012 | Reply

a mouthful of sand! BWAHHAHAHA!!! i’ll take your fruit seeds! i just love raspberry, blackberry and kiwi seeds. i’ll take a double portion.

i made a smoothie the other day, and decided it was gross. it was just orange juice and two small banannas. it was too thick for my liking. slow glugs of down my throat were too creepy for my tasting. i am ok with a milkshake, but apparently smoothies weird me out. issues, no? you know. LOL!

February 1, 2012 | Reply

p.s. you have 7113 followers. omfg. i don’t even want to check your stats! cripes! you win. your blog is the best!

• Hana

January 11, 2013 | Reply

Gonna have to try this!! And if you don’t like the texture of your smoothies then you need to get a vitamix…no more seedy bits in your smoothie :) It’ll make everything creamy and smooth. It’s an investment but so awesome! You can even make hot soups in it and ice cream and sorbets..all in the same blender!..guess I sound like a Vitamix rep but I’m not..just a happy customer :) Thanks for posting this recipe!