Vintage Nail Art ~ Water Decals

raemon becca vintage nail art  decals

I’ve had these Raemon Becca “Toucons” nail decals and glitter gold polish since the 80’s. In fact, I just looked at the back of the little envelope and it says: Beverly Hills 1982 – (I was 6). I’m not even kidding. AND, I think they were hand-me-downs at that. Like someone was cleaning out their bathroom or something and I ended up with them. I cannot remember who gave them to me or where I got them but for some reason, over the years, I could just not bring myself to throw them away — even though the nail polish is no longer usable. When I was young, I only liked one of the birds, which is why I have so many Toucans left.

So I thought I’d see if they still worked…

Sephora and Chanel Nail Polish

For a base coat I used Sephora by OPI “Chestnuts About You” x 2.

Since I’m 99% sure I’m the only person with random vintage nail decals {though I just did a quick search and found an Ebay seller with a few pages of vintage Becca Nail Art Decals for sale}, I’ll just do a quick little DIY summary because it’s probably still the same technique to applying water nail decals.

Grab scissors, tweezers and a small bowl of warm-ish water. Cut your decal out and submerge into the water for a minute or so. Using tweezers, grab the end of your decal and with your fingers, carefully push the decal away from the paper and lay it on your nail, smoothing it out carefully with your fingers. Since my decals are ancient, the adhesive wasn’t its best so I immediately used my Chanel extreme brilliance top coat to seal the decal in place.

applying water nail decals
diy nail art decals diy nail art water decals raemon becca
diy nail art water decals raemon becca   diy nail art water decals raemon becca
raemon becca vintage nail art  decals-bird nail decals  nail art

nails-vintage nail decals

Since my nails are tiny and a full bird will only fit on my thumb, I cut one decal in half and used a single leaf on one ring finger and a part of a bird on the other. {note: this Sephora OPI polish looks much cleaner in reality than in these photos}

vintage  toucan nail  decals- raemon becca

Have Fun!

Find all of my Nail Art Tutorials Here

Tweet This!

Profile photo of Maegan Tintari

LA native & lifestyle blogger Maegan Tintari writes daily at sharing beauty & style secrets, including fashion DIYs, how-to nail art manicures, hair tutorials, and home decorating ideas, as well as a look into her personal life with her husband and adorable dogs, two Frenchies & an old Pug in wheels. Here you will find her talking about their journey & battle with infertility & recent relocation up to the mountains by a lake in search of a better life.

• Neris / Fashion Fractions

January 13, 2012 | Reply

LOVE this Maegan! i used these when i was a kid and now i wished i saved them :)

Have a great weekend!

Fashion Fractions

• Alex P

January 13, 2012 | Reply

I remeber using this method when I was in highschool, this is easy and awesome 😀
    regards from London,

• Tara

January 13, 2012 | Reply

Love these, wish I had some!

• Shabna

January 13, 2012 | Reply

WOW this is so cool! They look beautiful!

shabna x x

• Real Girl Glam

January 13, 2012 | Reply

I haven’t seen nail decals like this in forever! So fun and such a cute design. The Sephora polish is so pretty, too!

• Carsedra

January 13, 2012 | Reply

Hey, maybe you will experiment and offer a Maegan’s DIY, using the “right” paper/design, etc.

• Erica

January 13, 2012 | Reply

Wow those looks so neat! Never seen decals like that before!

• Megan, The Frugalista Diaries

January 13, 2012 | Reply

Ok, these are fun, I wish I had kept the ones from when I was a kid!

• Jennifer Belle

cool, i love!

• amber campbell

what a neat idea! LOVE!

• Reikalein

Nice :)

Have you ever tried this with tissue paper?

If you pull a tissue apart so that it’s just one layer, you can draw on it with a sharpie pen and then do much the same with it as you did with the nail decals.

• PinkGlitter

January 13, 2012 | Reply

How neat! I do have some old decals. They are probably around 12 years old. It’s a Valentine’s day themed set and every year I would always forget to do them. Which is why I’ve had them so long. Maybe I’ll try to find them and actually use them this year!

• Cee Cee

This looks amazing!

xx Cee Cee
    Ceecee’s Inspirations Blog

• House of Avandan

Very pretty!

Check out my blog.

• fotograf weselny

January 13, 2012 | Reply

wow, pictures are absolutely awsome!

• Jessica Snellings

January 13, 2012 | Reply

I have a million of those little water decals. They’re lovely =]

January 13, 2012 | Reply

Looks amazing! Unfortunately I always throw stuff out I think at the time is junk, but wish I kept it when I see inspiring things like this

• W.

January 14, 2012 | Reply

CUTE!!! great idea!

• thankfifi

January 14, 2012 | Reply

totally love it! Off to ebay for me…x

January 14, 2012 | Reply

beautiful! hope to see your beauty looks on :)

• Laura

January 14, 2012 | Reply

I love them! They are beautiful :))

• glamourpuss

January 15, 2012 | Reply

lol, I have some vintage nail decals kicking around my house too! Mine may or may not have neon-coloured dolphins in waves haha!

• Gawgus things...

January 15, 2012 | Reply

These are so cute – love the colours!

Emma xx

• Grace

January 15, 2012 | Reply

You did a great job! And I have that same ‘problem’, tiny hands/tiny nails.

Love Grace.

January 15, 2012 | Reply

How lovely.

• Heather Elizabeth Asbury

January 15, 2012 | Reply

I adore these

• James Raemon Becca

September 25, 2015 | Reply

Hi Meagan,

I’m the other 1% who still has a few of these decals for keep sake. These were the first four color process decals printed over white silk screen masks of the design on simplex water slide off paper, a process that I developoed. I sold millions of them back then and yes these were introduced in 1982.

I’ll be launching a business in a few days that has nothing to do with the beauty industry and I was thinking back to when I started this The Raemon Becca Nail Art Series as I am back in that success state of mind again. When that thought came into my mind I decided to google the name and your page came up. I thought is was pretty cool since, It’s been over 16 years that I closed the business and went in on to other things.

It’s always surreal when you stumble upon the past, you were six, I was 31. You are my daughter’s age. In a similar situation, I recently walked by a nail salon in Anaheim that still has my nail poster in their window, it’s completely faded out by the sun, but there it is and it’s kind of like whoah! Nostalgia.

That was then, this is now. Love your site, and your Vlog on what to do next with your direction. Unsolicited mentoring in response to that Vlog here, but here goes.

Sounds like you’re in search of that Defining Moment that will set your highest potential in to motion. I call it your White Horse. If you could ride into town as a Princess on your White Horse what would that be?

I was singing at a wedding one day and actually making people cry, and it was something that I really got into and loved, but I was no where near being a great vocalist. In that moment, I remember telling my parents that this is what I wanted to do. This was in my early business success days. I made the decision to train my voice twenty five years ago and have not stopped and it shows in my singing. It’s been not only my passion but more importantly a gift that I give to myself as a form of self love and for no other reason. That’s my White Horse, along with financial success in business.

Anyway, once you define your White Horse everything else from that point forward will be seen only as means to your arrival. Your I don’t know transforms to I KNOW…once you lock in on your White Horse or as some people refer to it, your Definite Major Purpose in Life. You now have a goal, and a destination that gives you purpose and completion, commitment and confidence with each period of growth. This engages your NOW to a force that’s bigger than you, and fills it with drive.

It looks as if you already have great life. This was just in response to your latest Vlog and it might even give you some idea for a vlog for inspiring others to do the same.

Best Wishes,