Pretty Underthings…

bralets- pretty underthings

Forced to redefine my work at home wardrobe since the beginning of the year, I’ve been rather stumped on the whole “to bra or not to bra” situation. I mean, I’m home… so naturally, when I get home, I remove all restrictive clothing. But now, being home day in and day out, my girls need some support.

I normally wear a push-up bra and have for years. I just like the way they support and I like the way they make “everything” look under clothes. And when I’m wearing one, I rarely feel it; it’s comfortable for the time being, when I’m not paying much attention to it. But as I sit at my desk, trying to focus on work {my book deadline, specifically, which is in two weeks}, I find myself fidgeting with it and completely and utterly uncomfortable. The moment I try to focus, I feel it, squeezing, pinching, cutting, riding up in the back. But isn’t that always the way when you’re trying to focus? Sometimes everything else draws your attention away from exactly what you’re supposed to be doing.

So randomly, and months ago actually, I was at Target and picked up the pretty navy blue cotton bralette with ivory lace you see in this post and because it was so pretty {and so affordable}, I dropped it in my cart. It wasn’t until checkout that I realized it was a NURSING BRA…. but I didn’t care and bought it anyway.

I found it about a month or so ago in my drawer with the tags still attached and on a whim, decided to try it out. I’m not sure why I was so astonished by it really, but as I slipped my arms through the straps and adjusted it accordingly, I fell instantly in love with its design and comforting abilities.

Since my discovery, I’ve sort-of had my eye out for pretty non-nursing bralettes to test out and I found a more delicate version by Stella McCartney {floral print stretch silk-satin} at a GILT sale a few weeks ago and it is even more comfortable than the cotton one, which I didn’t think possible. But the almost 75$ price difference I’m sure had something to do with it.

stella mccartney bra

pretty nursing bra bralet

With my newfound comfort and love, I’m really on the hunt for more pretty underthings, with these specific guidelines: support without underwires but not a simple triangle bra… silks, satins, and soft fabrics without a lot of lace… cotton without a sporty or sports bra look and feel… feminine and pretty… definitely must not look like a training bra {which is surprisingly common}… and here’s what I’ve found on the internet:

* La Fee Verte Ikat Bralette $66
* Hanky Panky cotton bralette $44
* FULL TILT Soft Cup Bralette $9.99
* TopShop Smooth Operator Bralette $37
* Micro bralette with lace $12.80
* Fortnight Jolene bra $110
* Skin pink triangle bralette $48
* Huit soft bralette $64
* Zinke twilight bralette $64
* Eberjey Colette Racer Back Bralet $56

I’d love more suggestions if you may know of any that fall under my specific guidelines :)

Tweet This!

• Beauty Fashion Lounge

April 19, 2012 | Reply

NICE THINGS VERY ROMANTIC AND CONFORTABLE

• tuplanbe

April 19, 2012 | Reply
  • Marina

April 19, 2012 | Reply

Beautiful, chic and lovely!

xx
    biskvittka.blogspot.com

• Where's Gaia?

April 19, 2012 | Reply

Soma Intimates make incredible underpinnings (as I call them). I haven’t stepped foot into a Victorias Secret since discovering them. The quality of the material they use is pretty incredible and they have a wide range. The Vanishing bra changed my life.

• Cheryl

April 19, 2012 | Reply

This post is perfect! I started working from home 3 days a week and have been faced with the same issue…to bra or not to bra. I have only 1 non-bra that I can wear that I love. It’s a yoga bra from patagonia. But I’m totally digging this pretty bra idea. No need to feel like a bum when you work from home!

• Kristen @ The Chronicles of Dutch

April 19, 2012 | Reply

Ohhh! Lovely!

I’m with Where’sGala… Soma is the only place I go these days. I’m also addicted to their PJs – so soft & comfy!

• Kat

April 19, 2012 | Reply

I used to have suuuuuch a bra and panty fetish. I would ALWAYS have to get something at Victoria’s Secret or anywhere that had something cute. But it’s become an expensive collection :( So I gave it up. It doesn’t mean I can’t still admire them :)

aneyeforfashion.blogspot.com

• Sarah Jean

April 19, 2012 | Reply

I LOVE American Eagle’s underwear. All of it is so comfortable and relatively inexpensive….not to mention pretty.

• Pamela

April 19, 2012 | Reply

I got a good laugh when you picked it up not realizing it was a nursing bra and bought it anyways! Who cares – it’s under your clothes and no one will ever know!

I think I might start looking for the same because the underwires are just killing me!

Thanks for everything you do Maegan! Can’t wait for the book!!

• Stacy

April 19, 2012 | Reply

Hi meagen! I have been “stalking” your post for awhile:) you are absolutely inspiring! Thank you!
    I don’t know if this is exactly what your looking for, but urban outfitters carries the most romantic, beautiful sets of bras and panties in their stores, and lately I have seen alot of bralettes that may fit your at home standards of comfort, support without wire, prettiness, and affordability. You should try taking a peek in one of their stores. Take care! Love always Stacy

• Brittany Fowler

April 20, 2012 | Reply

OMG this is the greatest.I agree…wireless is the way to go. And I mean I know we just met and all but they just feel so…sensual! ;)

• TheYellowRose

April 20, 2012 | Reply

I have a lace bralette from btemptd that I adore for days at home…it’s all lace but oh so soft and comfortable. It looks like they have a non-lace one too now, and I’d highly recommend all their products.

• TheYellowRose