In the Land of Palm Springs & Rancho Mirage…

One of the main reasons the husband and I decided on a little vacation in Palm Springs a few weeks ago was to see if it was a place we’d maybe like to buy a home in {read this post to catch up}. And while we were there, I was very much in love with the idea but the husband, on the other hand, couldn’t really take the heat. However, once we returned back home to find LA in the midst of humidity hell, his mind was more set on the dry desert heat and we had some decision making ahead of us.

While we were there, we set out on a little adventure to get a feel for this other “Valley” we thought we could someday call home, Rancho Mirage, but I was also on a mission to find some really great 60′s houses and architecture I had only seen in magazines like Architectural Digest and movies like Palm Springs Weekend. And actually, I was expecting to find it everywhere, but I was sadly mistaken and realized once we started venturing around the town that I should have maybe done a little more research on where to find this 60′s mecca I imagined. Even when we asked the locals where can we find really great 60′s houses and architecture? they sort of tilted their heads and looked as us as if we were straight off of a space ship. Was my 60′s dream just a desert mirage?

We began our search on Frank Sinatra Drive and quickly found some old neighborhoods at the base of the hills filled with 60′s homes. However, many of them seemed rundown and some looked very similar to all the 60′s homes we grew up in right here in the LA Valley. I found a few gems that I photographed and included here {like the one above} but not too many more. I could see that there were a few off in the distance, set up on the hills, that looked more like what I was searching for, but they were on private property so we couldn’t really get a look.

Since many of the properties we’ve been finding online and loving were in Rancho Mirage, we stayed within those city limits looking for homes… and since we weren’t ready just yet to really go house hunting, we didn’t get a realtor involved. Again, a little research would have helped here as well because almost ALL of the homes are within gated communities and on private golf courses… which of course, we couldn’t get in to see. The tree-lined surrounding streets were gorgeous though and fully developed, though occasionally we’d take a turn down a street and be smack in the middle of the desert with seemingly no life to speak of.

crickets…

Palm Springs is definitely gorgeous. There are palatial Spanish houses spilling from every corner and gated community in sight. At just about every stop, we asked the locals how they liked living there, from old to young and all ages in between, and everyone said pretty much the same thing. It’s. Hot. But it’s beautiful from October through May… and that the town is set up for senior citizens. But we knew all that going into it. I did notice a surprising amount of furniture stores and boutiques as well as estate shops, which I would have definitely gone into, but the husband wasn’t interested. What I absolutely LOVED when I first began shooting photos at the Viceroy, was the huge rock of a mountain that was the backdrop of every photo. But the more places we went and the more photos I took made me realize that there is a rock or mountain as a backdrop in almost every photo, and every location. I still find it awe-inspiring, but what about in 5 years time?

There is something really beautiful about the desert though. I mean, I LOVE palm trees but I wonder, would I get bored of the scenery? Are palm trees and brown mountains enough for 365 days of the year? Would I get sick of staying in the air conditioned indoors for 5 months of every year because it’s just too hot to go out? All things to consider.

I do love that it’s only an hour and 45 minutes away from LA, where the rest of my family lives, so holidays and trips back wouldn’t be an issue. But still, I wonder, is it enough? I think at this point we’re considering new options, but Palm Springs has definitely become our new favorite vacation spot.

most of the streets in Rancho Mirage look like this… gorgeous gated communities and golf courses behind walls of trees and palms

There is no question though, how Palm Springs got its name… I do love palm trees.

Tweet This!

• Kier Mellour

July 25, 2012 | Reply

I love the way you write and how your photos this time are slightly overexposed to give that true vibe of hot, bright, heat. I can’t wait to see what you find, and how you morph it into a dream home worthy any day of a feature on one of my favorite HGTV shows.

With Love From Hollywood, Kier

Piperlime Giveaway!
    Fashion Addict
    Fashion Addict

• Life etc...

July 25, 2012 | Reply

Gorgeous photos, and I LOVE your new blog layout! Very sleek :)

Life Etc

• Life's a shoe

July 25, 2012 | Reply

beautiful pictures! Palm springs looks like an awesome and really scenic place!

July 25, 2012 | Reply

There’s nothing like the California Coast. IMO, of course. However, wherever you are, you bring your own sunshine, Sunshine!

• thankfifi

July 25, 2012 | Reply

I guess I never really thought of palm springs being so close to tumbleweed desert. I can tell your mind is going back and forth but I’m sure taking the trip out there helped.

♥ ThankFifi

July 25, 2012 | Reply

Go North! PS is beautiful but boring. I imagine you’d get sick of Palm trees real quick. They’ve become a much too prevalent tree imho! I would suggest anything not too far from the ocean, and preferably with a decent water source. Good luck on your hunt.

• A.Co

July 25, 2012 | Reply

Okay. I feel like I have SO MUCH to say about this post.

First off, I love all the photos, some of the photos are just plain, kind of bland (not bc of your photog skills, simply due to the landscape) and yet, I’m glad you included them bc it gives a real feel for what you saw (and not just the beautiful, seemingly perfect shots we can all take and then only include). It’s so interesting and although I’m thousands upon thousands of miles away from Palm Springs (hello Canada!), I feel like I’ve (almost) been there, thanks to you.

Secondly, I love your writing style, and how you’ve written so much, pros and cons, and just honestly (as per usual, hence why you are my favourite). I like how Pep’s opinions are included (eg. antique furniture shopping, etc. ;) and that you guys sometimes differ and it’s interesting and real.

I do agree, Palm Springs seems kind of brown :P and living almost two hours away from family is a consideration (since they are so close now.. and I’m in the same boat so I know that with two hours away, you dont’ exactly just ‘pop by’ for dinners..).

Lastly, bummer about not finding many 60′s styled homes within reach (ie. non-gated) but interesting too. I love that the ‘Palm Springs’ vacation has turned into many, many (different) blog posts. It’s been oh-so-interesting and finally, I love your blog, but that’s probably apparent by now ;)

keep us posted on your decision (eventually)!! I think I’ll be a little sad to see you leave your place though (how weird is that?! I don’t even ‘know’ you, lol), it’s just so great (and I’m attached, haha, again, makes no sesne :P).

• Daniela

July 25, 2012 | Reply

gorgeous photos! Especially the last one !

• Jennifer

July 25, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think I could take the heat but it is beautiful!

xo Jennifer

• Anesa

July 25, 2012 | Reply

Nice pictures! It´s really such a nice place =)

anesagill.blogspot.com

• Jane

July 25, 2012 | Reply

Lucky you, Palm Springs seems to be an extraordinary city ! great pictures ;-)

• Kat

July 25, 2012 | Reply

I absolutely love the look of Palm Springs and that Mad Men/60s feel. But it is definitely H.O.T. there.

kat
    aneyeforfashion.blogspot.com

• Sheri

Beautiful shots!

• Aline

July 26, 2012 | Reply

i have always loved it out there and you’re right.. the proximity to LA is def the appeal!

• laurenisliz

July 27, 2012 | Reply

I love your photographs. It always makes me smile when people say how much they love the desert and it is beautiful! I live in Phoenix and winters are absolutely amazing. But dead dry grass and nothing but rocks and dirt does kind of get to you 365 years. If I were you I would move north! :o)

• O D Y S S E Y

July 30, 2012 | Reply

I love the desert. I agree, I think it’s beautiful in its ruggedness and vast landscape. Even the dry heat fascinates me because it’s so foreign to me!
    I didn’t realize Palm Springs is that close to LA. If it was me, I’d probably want a seasonal place there, instead of full time. One can dream, right? ;)

• O D Y S S E Y

July 30, 2012 | Reply

I meant to add, I’m accustomed to humid heat and have grown weary of it. A dry climate is rather appealing now!
    Late April, my husband and I took a holiday to the beautiful west Texas desert. Amazing experience. (In fact, I did several blog posts about it.) I’d love to see Palm Springs! Your photos are very inviting.

• Jane

November 3, 2012 | Reply

Hi Maegan,
    My name is Jane and I’m with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blog posts about things to do in Rancho Mirage to share on our site and I came across your post…If you’re open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you :)
    Jane

• LeeryG

August 13, 2013 | Reply

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 13, 2013 | Reply

Great photos! Don’t know if you made your decision. I moved here with my husband six months ago. He’s a surgeon and I’m in marketing. Palm Springs is gorgeous (up side), but the rest is dull. We moved here from Boston, so boredom hit us instantly. We get away to LA whenever possible. There are only lousy paying jobs here if you’re not in medicine or hospitality, otherwise just very small businesses where you don’t want to work.
    And everyone knows each other. Carelessly drop a name and you get, “Oh yeah, I know him, he got divorced blah blah blah….”

Also, people who’ve been here a while think they’re way more important than they are. They’ve been stuck here so long, it never crosses their mind that you might know senators who would eat their city council members.