Learn a Language for Free & help Translate the Internet

learn spanish, learn to speak any language for free

I am CONSTANTLY in awe, moved, brought to tears, inspired, and motivated by Ted Talks. I can’t even begin to describe the feeling I get when I see people doing amazing things… things I never would have thought of or better yet, things I would have never thought possible. I continue to be amazed and my connection with all that is good in humanity grows when I watch these passionate speakers. If you’ve watched any, I’m sure you would agree.

The other night as I was trying to force myself out of my office and into my bed to sleep, I decided to look for a little inspiration and StumbledUpon a talk by Luis von Ahn, the creator of those annoying little anti-spam letters we all hate typing after leaving a comment, Captchas… and I almost decided NOT to watch it. Instead, I played around on Instagram for the first minute or so as I half-listened. Until I heard him say something like: I realized I was wasting 10 seconds of everyone’s time and thought I should put those 10 seconds to better use. So he created a more annoying double captcha to fill out… watch the talk below to find out why.

And then he went on to an even bigger thought… to translate the internet for free. And in doing so, created Duolingo… which teaches you a language for FREE while you are helping to translate the internet for the rest of the world. Needless to say, I was in awe. Seriously, watch it for the full effect because I’d rather not recap. All I know, is that with this double motivation, I may finally learn how to speak Spanish.

* We can follow each other too!

* If you can’t see the video: click here

Tweet This!

• Katie

July 21, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been signed up to this for about a month! I’ve been learning french as my little nephew is french and I would love to speak to him when he comes to visit us in a month. Honestly it’s so clever and has taught me so much already. I encourage everyone to give this site a go! xx

• Corie

July 22, 2012 | Reply

Thank you so much for posting this! I’m so excited to re-learn French after not speaking it for so many years! I have been putting it off because I didn’t want to pay the money, but now there is Duolingo. Amazing! Thank you again for sharing this!

• Consider Me Lovely

July 22, 2012 | Reply

Thank you so much for sharing the Maegan!! I have been wanting to re-learn French, and I am loving it so far!

July 22, 2012 | Reply

First time leaving a comment, just wanted to say thanks for posting this it made my day!! SO INSPIRATIONAL!

• sherbetandsparkles

July 22, 2012 | Reply

I use Duolingo for German! I love it! Didn’t know it was made by the same guy though!

July 22, 2012 | Reply

As a (soon to be) professional translator I can’t help but wonder: what about us?
    -Lena

• Maegan Tintari

July 22, 2012 | Reply

Anon: I think a real/human/person/translator is still the best, but not everyone can afford it. I think you’ll still have a great career in that. How fun!

• Güler

July 22, 2012 | Reply

wow interesting:)

my DIYs —————-> http://gkdone.blogspot.com/

• Ashe @ Ash in Fashion

July 22, 2012 | Reply

THANK YOU for sharing this! What an amazing site, and what an even better way to put an evil super power (creating captchas) to better use. As a girl who has learned a lot of languages, but is fluent in none, this really excites me. Easy incentive to up my game.

• Lisa Petrarca

July 23, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the tip Maegan! My son needs all the help in Spanish he can get. Stop by and read about the TWO HITCHHIKERS I picked up last night…crazy I know, but…

• Mint Gal

July 23, 2012 | Reply

LOOOVE TED talks! Thanks for posting this!

-Carmen
    Check out my blog at: http://wearmint.blogspot.com/

• Birdieshoots

July 23, 2012 | Reply

Thank you for sharing this! I’ve been trying to learn spanish for some time now and I think this is an awesome way to get started!!

• Mawiyah

July 24, 2012 | Reply

Thank you for this post!! So cool – will check it out for sure!! :)