A Sad Day…

dick shanahan, drummer, jazz drummer dick shanahan

Today, this morning rather, my grandpa passed away. I’ve been sick with a nasty head cold and in bed all weekend, so I didn’t get the news until about noon today. My husband had to break it to me, which of course ended in tears and hugs. Such sadness. My grandpa was an incredible drummer and though we didn’t spend as much time as we should have together, we had a strangely strong bond and I loved him dearly. He had a sparkle in his eye when he looked at me and though communication is not my family’s strong suit, I always felt his love through his quiet actions and wide grins. After my dad passed in 2003, I saw the heaviness and sadness in my grandpa’s eyes when he looked at me and I attributed it to the fact that I looked like my father and brought forth memories he’d rather keep safely tucked away.

My grandpa turned 90 last year and was seemingly still going strong, still drumming with a jazz band and still giving my brother lessons each Saturday afternoon. At the last few holidays we spent with my family, my grandpa referred to me as Ann Marie, my mom’s name, and no one corrected him. I didn’t mind. But it was when I knew he was starting to decline.

I will miss you Grandpa Shanahan… as we all will.

hugs June of this year… {from my cousin Corey’s FB}

His 90th Birthday 2011 kissing his wife, Masumi…

Christmas 2010 with my cousin Kelley… {from my cousin Kristie’s FB}

He probably wasn’t quite sure what YouTube was… but his presence is quite large there. Below are a few links to songs and sessions of my grandpa, Dick Shanahan, drumming throughout the ages…

* Dick Shanahan on drums with Les Brown performing “Always”
* Doris Day singing “Old Mr. Moon” written by drummer Dick Shanahan and recorded while Doris and Dick were on tour with Les Brown and His Band of Renown
* “IT’S ONLY A PAPER MOON” Les Brown & Dick Shanahan on drums
* “Charlie Barnet-Town Hall Jazz Concert Dec 6 1947, Part 1″, sound recording administered by: IODA Dick Shanahan on drums

Newer…
* L.A. Sweet & Hot Music Festival 2010
* “ST. THOMAS” Sweet and Hot 2011
* there are so many more…

He was such a good musician… I mean, great! And was under the impression that all “rock and roll” was not music ;)

PS… My uncle Kelly teaches drum lessons, if you’re interested click here & message him. {Los Angeles area only}

Tweet This!

• Jody

August 6, 2012 | Reply

So sorry for your loss. He looked great for his age unbelievable. Such sweet photos.

• Malu Swartjes

August 6, 2012 | Reply

I’m sorry for your loss sweetheart :( Those pictures are beautyful! Wishing you lots of strenght for you and your family!
    xx
    Discover my Stylish Confessions! ♥
    Discover my Stylish Confessions! ♥

• Carsedra McKoy

August 6, 2012 | Reply

Such beautiful touching shots!! My condolences to you and your family!! You are in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Carsedra of:

• Leigh

August 6, 2012 | Reply

Oh, Maegan! I’m so sorry. This post is such a nice tribute to your grandpa. What an incredible musical legacy! Hugs to you.

• Joy De Vivre Design

August 6, 2012 | Reply

So sorry for your loss. What a full and fun life he seemed to have had. May your wonderful memories of him help to make this time a little less difficult for you. :(

• carla5555

August 6, 2012 | Reply

Oh Maegan, i’m so sorry for your loss! I lost my grandpa right before my wedding which made me incredibly sad. He too was a musician. I’m so glad you are keeping his memory alive and sharing the wonderful sounds of his music with us. May he rest in peace and may his love and legacy live forever in your heart. Xoxo Carla

• Marie-Eve

August 6, 2012 | Reply

I’m so sorry ! All my thoughts will be with you and your family in those difficult days ! Seems like he lived an amazing life !

• Heba

August 6, 2012 | Reply

I’m so sorry for your loss ,i’m sure he’s in a much better place now ..hugs

• Hansens

August 6, 2012 | Reply

What a handsome man:) grandpas are so special, sorry you lost yours today… Love and kisses.

• top fashion online

August 6, 2012 | Reply

Soo sorry for your loss.

Those were some beautiful words about your grandpa.

I will definitely be check out some of those youtube links.

Nicole Bennett @ top fashion online

• Penny

August 6, 2012 | Reply

So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

• jenn~the stylish housewife

August 6, 2012 | Reply

i am so so sorry for your loss. =( i lost both of my grandparents in the last year and i swear to you not a day goes by that i don’t think of them. i am thinking of you & your family during this difficult time. sending you hugs sweetie.

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

• SaTina Mosley

August 6, 2012 | Reply

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my last living grandparent, my dad’s mom last year. It was difficult to say the least as she was my last real connection to my dad who passed in 2004. The memories will last a lifetime….praying for you and your family….

• Amy

August 6, 2012 | Reply

I’m so sorry for your loss Maegan!

xx Amy

• sigria Mouchet

August 6, 2012 | Reply

No one can ever prepare any of us for the loss of our loved ones.

My sincere condolences and deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Sigria

August 6, 2012 | Reply

It is so very sad Moment .
    The Ultimate Facial

• GFS

August 6, 2012 | Reply

So sorry to read about this, you are so lucky to have pics and videos though :)

• Elle Sees

August 6, 2012 | Reply

i lost my great-granny this year (you commented on that post, actually!)so i completely understand. you’re in my thoughts and waves of love are sent to you.

• thankfifi

August 6, 2012 | Reply

what a lovely tribute to him.x

♥ ThankFifi

• Laura

August 6, 2012 | Reply

I am so sorry for your loss

• Berty Morales

August 6, 2012 | Reply

Maegan, even though we have never met face to face I feel like I have known you for a while. For almost three years exactly! That is when I discovered your blog. Thanks to your great tips and also thanks too one of your post you did a while back about “Smoking” I was able to quite,so basically thanks for changing my life somehow. Reading something like this it makes me feel this is the time you need us and I wish I was closer to least give you a hug. I am so sorry for your loss and if there is anything you need, ANYTHING do not hesitate to ask. Trust me the distance will never be a problem. I hope you feel better and if you ever need someone to talk too just remember you have a crazy fan here in Dallas that always cheers for you…xoxoxox…Berty Morales

• Mawiyah

August 7, 2012 | Reply

Awww – so sweet – adorable pictures :) Thank you for sharing – you seem to be sick a lot lately :( feel better – take it easy – at least try to :)

God Bless

• New Dress A Day

August 7, 2012 | Reply

Sending lots of love your way M. xo

• Jessi

August 7, 2012 | Reply

I’m so sorry Maegan!! Lots of love and hugs to you, xoxoxoxo
    J

• A.Co

August 7, 2012 | Reply

I’m so sorry to hear about your Grandpa, Maegan. *BIG HUG*

• Patty

August 9, 2012 | Reply

I am so sorry for your loss. He had the sweetest face. I’m sure he was a very special man. {{{Hugs}}}