Bebop’s Got a Brand New Pair of Wheels! {Pug Video}

doggy wheels, pug in a wheelchair

Our pug, Bebop Pugman, is eleven years old now and for the last 3 years or so he’s been having trouble walking due to nerve damage in his lower back. Though he’d drag his legs and bloody up the tops of his paws on occasion or fall down while he was trying to pee, he’s been able to still get around for the most part until just recently. We’ve talked on and off about the assistance of wheels but according to the vet, if you put animals in them too soon, they’ll lose all leg function quicker than if they’re still trying to get around. But within the last month or so, Bebop’s been having a lot of trouble walking at all. And though he’s not a puppy, he’s still so vibrant and happy and full of life that we had to try to make his existence a little better while he’s still here with us.So here’s a little video of Bebop in his brand new wheels… so happy.

{click here if you can’t see the video}

Each day he uses his new wheels, he gets better and faster and stronger… and we anticipate once the weather cools down a bit, he’ll enjoy using his wheels even more. He seems to really love the fact that he can finally get around again… and we love it too. He wears them mostly on walks and a little in the house. If he’s not wearing them inside, he’s usually lying in one of his many plush beds… or dragging his lower half to the front door to greet the UPS, FedEx, & our mail carrier, Rick.

This nerve damage in his back has also recently left him a bit incontinent so he pees whenever he gets excited or tries to move at all. While we’ve tried all sorts of pet diapers, we found the washable male wraps to work best with an infant/baby diaper inside as lining. He’s such a trooper though. He’s really such a good boy… but I never thought I’d be washing dog diapers in lieu of baby diapers.

dog clothes and dog diapers

Wheelchair info:

We measured Bebop and ordered a custom wheelchair online from Handicapped Pets {.com}. They are fabulous to work with! The chairs come in a variety of shapes and sizes & in pink for girls ;)

More Recent Photos…

pug in wheels, dog wheelchair, handicapped pets pet carts

June 2013

fresh cut lilacs, pug in wheels

May 2013

wheels for dogs

Winter 2012-2013

bebop pugman stuck in the snow

pug in wheels in the snow

Jan 2013 His wheels ice up in the snow, but he manages, or we nudge him a little ;)

Happy Pet Loving Day!

• Arykah

September 1, 2012 | Reply

That dog is so cute and happy, I just teared up a little, no joke. Thanks for posting. As a former owner of an elderly dog, it was great to see your little guy and all you do for him :)

• Katie

September 1, 2012 | Reply

Oh this is so sweet! I love how happy he looks with his new wheels!

xx

• thankfifi

September 1, 2012 | Reply

This is so heartbreaking and heartwarming both at once – there’s nothing more sad than watching the one’s we love grow old but he is truly lucky to have you to care for him and keep him happy :)

♥ ThankFifi

• Kristina

September 1, 2012 | Reply

Oh, man…this made me tear up. What an adorable dog. And he’s lucky to have you guys to take care of him. :)

• GRIT AND GLAMOUR

September 1, 2012 | Reply

Aging pets is so heartbreaking! But I’m glad that Bebop is blessed enough to have humans like you who are smart, and have the resources to make his life more active and comfortable. Of course, always wishing you, your husband, and your lovely little dogs health and happiness.

Thanks for sharing this…I’m sure a lot of people with disabled (but vibrant) pets will benefit from the information and links.

• Amanda @ Eloquent English

September 1, 2012 | Reply

I def teared up watching the video… He looks so happy! Great doggie parents!!! sniff sniff!!!

• Tesla

September 1, 2012 | Reply

Teary eyed. Such a sweet boy.

• Stephanie @ henry happened

September 1, 2012 | Reply

he’s so sweet… and you’re so sweet for taking such good care of him!

• loulou

September 1, 2012 | Reply

Bless your heart and his little pug heart too. Can barely see as I type, for the tears. He looks like such a happy little trooper.

• Jessica

He looks so happy!!!!

You’re an amazingly caring dog-mom and it makes me tear up a ton as there needs to be more like you!

Thanks for sharing and being a constant inspiration!

Wish we lived closer so my Oscar could play with Bebop and LeRoy :)

xo

• Marmara Maiden

September 1, 2012 | Reply

What a little sweetie! It’s awesome that you’ve found all the right resources to keep him healthy and happy while he is still with you. Cheers!

• Girls Love Fried Pickles

September 1, 2012 | Reply

I cried not because of sadness because of happiness. This is the most awesome thing ever. He can go out and smell the beautiful air again. Bravo!

• Trissta

September 1, 2012 | Reply

That video was so freakin’ cute. Poor little Bebop will be back at it in no time! I agree that it’s better for him to be using his legs so he doesn’t get used to relying on the wheelchair. Seems smart to keep them active with this style of chair! (This coming from the niece of a Vet) Good luck with it and give him a kiss for me! He’s adorable.

Much Love,
    Trissta

• Jessica @ Here(and)Now

September 1, 2012 | Reply

oh my goodness… this brought up so many emotions for me. I had previously thought that dog owners who put wheels on their dogs instead of putting them out of their misery were cruel, but now I am looking at this issue with brand new (albeit fuzzy from crying) eyes. I have a pug son of my own, and I could not imagine putting him down while he still had so much vibrancy left in him – Bebop is a happy little boy, and you are so lucky to have each other. So good to see he is getting the hang of his new wheels – and I couldn’t help but smile to see his little back legs paddling along too!
    xx
    Here&Now

• Felicia

September 1, 2012 | Reply

OMG, so cute! I hope he continues to get even better!

• Giovanna D'Alessandro

September 1, 2012 | Reply

Oh my goodness. He is so gorgeous! He looks so happy too with his new wheels. It warms my heart to see things like this. A lot of animals wouldn’t get the chance.

So gorgeous!

Giovanna x

• Me

September 1, 2012 | Reply

Maegan – Have I told you how bitchen I think you are? That was the sweetest video and the fact that his tail is wagging speaks volumes! I think there is a reason you are washing Bebop’s diapers in lieu of baby diapers at this time. I’ll bet the higher powers know Bebop needs all of you right now.

• The Vintage Modern Wife

September 1, 2012 | Reply

I love his new set of wheels! Glad he is happier with them

September 1, 2012 | Reply

Whew…….I’m already tired just by watching him! He seems sooooo happy! Lucky sweetie-pie, for sure, to have a wonderful mom and dad to make his life so happy! Blessings always to all.

• Jill

September 2, 2012 | Reply

Oh Meagan you are such a wonderful Momma. Bebop is so blessed to have you.He looks so happy. What a wonderful heart you have.

• impromp-two.blogspot.com

September 2, 2012 | Reply

Hi Maegan, this is a cute little sweetheart, I was crying reading your post, I CAN totally relate to your story, we also have a dog, her name is Flika, she is 11,5 years old now, 2 years ago one day she was in pain she could not move, THEN DOCTORS DID xray telling us she has kidney cancer, and one kidney burst open, in the same day I WAS driving her to animal hospital where they scheduled iimediate operation, I WAS CRYING all the way every time looking at her sad eyes, it was heart breaking experience, especially leaving her for surgery, she understood everything and did not want me to leave. Doctors did the surgery and told us she has max. 9 months to live, she is still with us living with one kidney. sorry for such a long story, just your post broke me emotionally remembering my experience. They are OUR FAMILY, say HI to Bebop – it is great to hear that he is in playfull “puppy” mood ;o)

• Let Gough

September 2, 2012 | Reply

This story is beautiful, we had a pup that had IVDD. We were told she would never walk again, but we were lucky and a couple months later, she was able to walk. Never to what she could before, but walk nonetheless. During that time, I found comfort in reading other people’s experiences. Thank you for posting this, I’m sure other people will feel the same way about this post.

• JoDi

September 2, 2012 | Reply

Awesome! He looks so happy, and you are wonderful parents! I am a daily reader but rarely comment, but I just had to comment on this. We’ve had several dogs over the years and dealt with many health conditions along the way so I know how happy it makes you to see your furry baby enjoying life like that. XO

• Maria @ GLD

September 2, 2012 | Reply

Oh! Poor Bepop! He looks happy though, he seems to be enjoying his wheels.

• Holly

September 2, 2012 | Reply

omg the song you chose for that video made me burst into laughter. so precious, your pup looks so happy!!

• k

September 2, 2012 | Reply

That was the most precious video ever. Can’t imagine Bebop having any better parents than you and your husband! <3

• Thais

September 2, 2012 | Reply

Maegan!

I’m so proud of you for being willing to do the work and spend the money to improve his quality of life instead of just euthanizing him. So many owners would just put their pets to sleep if they were in your shoes. Bravo.

September 2, 2012 | Reply

I’m so thankful for amazing pet owners like you! I wish there were more in the world! So happy you give him such a great life. :)

• Joy De Vivre Design

September 2, 2012 | Reply

How cute is Bebop wagging his little tail all excited to be moving along so fast! What an adorable video! It is so hard watching fuzzy family members age. I had a Border Collie for 16 years that had issues getting around for several years. It is great that you are doing all in your power to keep Bebop healthy and happy!

• Lu

September 3, 2012 | Reply

god bless you

• Ann

September 3, 2012 | Reply

So sweet! Go Beebop! He is just toolin’ around like a little pro. This video made my heart all warm. Thank you :) .

September 3, 2012 | Reply

This is wonderful! Animals are amazingly adaptable. I had a cat who broke it’s leg and within an incredibly short time he was running up and down the stairs as though his leg wasn’t in a cast! Good for you, good for Bebop! <3

• My-cliffnotes

September 4, 2012 | Reply

Sooo cute. My parents dog has the same pee problem, I’m going to tell them about the diapers you use. Thank you.

Bebop is soo cute.

Tab

• Lorena

September 4, 2012 | Reply

Awww i think its marvelous that Bebop can be himself again, our pets are family and we try to provide or them the best we can :)

• The Little Bit

September 4, 2012 | Reply

He’s so sweet! I cried a bit when I watched the vid, even though he was so happy and good at it! I’m glad he’s doing well and adjusting to his wheels! Go Bebop!

• Aly ~ Cooking In Stilettos

September 4, 2012 | Reply

Maegan – I couldn’t help but get teary watching this and the excitement on Bebop’s face as he trotted outside with his new wheels. My SousPug also has issues with walking. He has beend diagnosed with degenerative disk disease in addition to a couple other issues and we’ve been debating whether or not he will need wheels one day. For now, he’s 10 and moving along okay, but it’s good to know that they do adapt and thank you so much for the link re: the doggie wheelchairs. I’ve bookmarked it.

Thank you again for posting this.

• Malinda

September 4, 2012 | Reply

Go Bebop Go! Great video – makes me miss my old guy who passed away 3 years ago. still think about him every day.

• manfriendandme

September 4, 2012 | Reply

Such a sweet little boo! I’m glad he’s digging his new wheels! My Boston used to wear a diaper before he passed away last February. I used the bulky (and cheap) overnight maxi pads that were the grocery store brand. If you want to try them, I’d be glad to send you all the ones I have left over as I have no use for them anymore!

• A.Co

September 4, 2012 | Reply

Awww!! So sweet and glad he’s liking the new wheels and happier/more comfortable :)

• LydiaAndPugs

September 6, 2012 | Reply

I can really relate to your pug Bebop. Our Hera the rescue pug was also has nerve damage in her bag and she also has dragged her feet on the hot cement, causing her paws to bleed. It really breaks my heart. She can still walk, but she gets really tired especially in the hot Florida weather. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

• jess1979

September 6, 2012 | Reply

What a cute video…he looks so happy! My 4 and 2 year old sons were watching over my shoulder when I looked at this video, so now every day, they ask to hear about Bebop and Leroy (like I know anything about them!)…”what are they doing?” “Are they brothers?” “Why didn’t we name our dog Bebop or Leroy? I like those names better!” They make up all these crazy stories about the adventures of Bebop and Leroy, and their “nice mommy who takes care of them.”

September 11, 2012 | Reply

I’ve always known you were awesome. This just reaffirms that. You are a great mom!

• Katie

September 12, 2012 | Reply

It’s so good to hear that Bebop has some help getting around now! He is adorable rolling around in his wheelchair.

My pup, Theodore, had to have surgery on his leg last year – the vet said it was essentially like he had pulled his Achilles tendon…and that over time it was likely he’d do it again if he keeps running around like he does (he’s 10 but acts like a puppy still…boundless energy). It actually makes me feel great to see Bebop with his wheels looking so happy and able to get around, since I know that is a possibility for the future with Theo.

Thanks for sharing!

• Gwen

September 12, 2012 | Reply

Maegan I am sitting at my desk with tears streaming down my cheeks. What a sweet little video of Bebop using his new wheels. You are the best mommy ever!!!!

• bmccloy

April 12, 2013 | Reply

Oh my good word… I just found you, and subsequently this video. LOVE!!!
    Love you and LOVE your baby… he is so cute. And those wheels are just adorable… I love how his back legs still go like he’s walking, even though they are airborn… just the cutest thing ever. I too have puggies, and one of mine was having similar issues. Her vet called it a slipped disk and nerve damage. I took her to a neuro dr who did an MRI and found that she had a cyst on her spine. They did surgery and she walked again. Miracle!! But you never know… might help your babe too. Can’t wait to keep reading your blog and seeing more of Bebop!

• ma

August 25, 2013 | Reply

Bebop is such a precious boy! That is a wonderful pet wheelchair, it helps them to have a better quality of life. Bless you and your hub, you are caring and loving to your little guy.