Live Without Expectations…

expectations quote

In the midst of all the commotion in our lives at the moment, we constantly find ourselves trying not to become too attached to outcomes. At the moment, this thinking mostly revolves around not only the close of escrow of our possible new house in Lake Arrowhead but also getting attached to the “idea” of the life we will lead if we do move to the lake.

We are happy now. A house will not make us happier. A certain kind of life will not make us happier. Change is exhilarating and exciting but once the dust settles, lives generally go back to “normal”. Living with expectations that once we have this or once we have that, THEN we will be happy, is the surest way to become exactly the opposite. This is something we’re told as we are growing up… something that we read through in fairytales and morals of stories and absentmindedly agree to when we hear quotes like “the grass is always greener” — but it’s something that is really difficult to grasp until you’ve lived long enough to actually be on the other side of it and see the difference for yourself. Though if you never take the time to look, you never learn it either.

I have been SO sure about SO many things in my life that have ended exactly the opposite of how they where “supposed to be” {having a baby, and becoming a mother, for example } I’ve learned that in this life, you can never be too sure of anything at all. It’s a lesson I learn every year, if not every day, that is just so easy to forget, it clearly has to slap me across the face repetitively just to get its point across. I get it… I truly do… but it doesn’t make it any easier to stop myself from getting lost in romanticizing “what ifs” and decorating our “new house”… so here is a little reminder for you and for me.

To be without desires, is to be content.
If you do not wish to have something,
you are content with what you have.

And it always seems to me that,
the more we don’t desire something,
the greater the chance of getting it,
and all the more exciting.

To be without desire,
is to be simple.
If life is simple,
then life is not complicated.

~ Lao Tzu

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them – that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.

~ Lao Tzu

• Kier Mellour

October 18, 2012 | Reply

as always, inspiring.. Thanks for sharing a great proverb!

With Love From Hollywood,
    Kier
    Fashion Addict
    Pinterest!

• Ashlee~Shevonne

October 18, 2012 | Reply

You have no idea how much I needed this.

• Kim

October 18, 2012 | Reply

Definitely needed to read this today. I’ve been moping around because I work full time and I’m in grad school. Life is HARD. Basically my life is all work and no play, and it is hard not to say “Come graduation in spring, life will get better.”

I should still be grateful for what I have today. Today I am grateful for the ability to work my way through grad school. To have a family and boyfriend to support me. To have the privilege to dedicate so much time to myself right now. To have life circumstances and self-worth on my side to help me even make it come true.

Thank you. You’ve helped me (at least for now!) put a new spin on something that has become a chore.

• glitzyblues.com

October 18, 2012 | Reply

Love this post! So true, you always are the best with words

Xo, Rachel
    Glitzy Blues

• Maria @ GLD

October 18, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for sharing this Maegan! I really needed this kind of reminders right now.

• Aurélie As Mounette

October 18, 2012 | Reply

We can see it all days in life. Youngs people don’t understand that when we explain it.
    It is truth, people are always looking something news. (job, love, items..)
    But the happyness is here, for this moment. The most hard is to be stable and gratifying!
    LIke a only one person in a life!

KIss
    Aurélie

• Amanda Rose

October 18, 2012 | Reply

Pretty awesome food for thought. nom*nom*nom

ps – my ‘coat’ giveaway win from last month came…and it fits and feels like a dream. I’ll let you know when I outfit post about it. <3 <3 thanks, maeg.

• Marisa Gouda

October 18, 2012 | Reply

I love this post. You are continually engaging me with your writing. Thanks, Meagan. P.S. As a fellow new mom, I am with you on the never say never thing!
    -Marisa

• kirstyb

October 18, 2012 | Reply

great post – very inspiring x

• The Glitter Life

Super inspiring!

Check out The Glitter Life! http://the-glitter-life.com/

• Jessica @ Here(and)Now

October 18, 2012 | Reply

if life is simple, then life is not complicated… beautiful post! As graduate student pining to be in the “real world” this definitely hits home… I am happy, I just need to remind myself of that more!
    xx
    Here&Now

• Mawiyah

October 18, 2012 | Reply

The longer I live, the more I trust that exactly what is best for me, will come to me. No struggle, just rest.

• Jessi

October 18, 2012 | Reply

Isn’t that the truth?? Both the lesson and the need for the perpetual reminder :)
    xoxo J

• A.Co

October 18, 2012 | Reply

I LOVE those quotes, thank you for sharing. They are perfect.

October 18, 2012 | Reply

so true. sometimes it is hard to appreciate the good times until the bad times hit. it is crazy! i find myself wanting things to go back to how they WERE way too often. particularly with health issues! and family health issues! but i guess we all do the best we can, and we all have to appreciate the good and plod through the bad.

ok, clearly i am no poet! lol

• Edward Dowdell

October 19, 2012 | Reply

Pretty good post, This was really something very special and interesting.
    ———————-
    cheap term papers

• Shannon

October 19, 2012 | Reply

This truly is great advice. We should live without expectations, although it’s never as easy as it sounds. I wish you all the happiness in the world with your move and new home. It sounds so exciting.

• Amelia

October 19, 2012 | Reply

This is so relevant right now.

• Charismainbklyn

October 22, 2012 | Reply

Maegan, this post truly resonated with me. Your blog has to be one of my favorites. You share about life, fashion, and beauty. Great stuff. Truly.

October 26, 2012 | Reply

i’m sorry but that’s awful. i don’t ever want to live “without expectations”. how depressing.

personally i’m from the “do great things, and expect great things from god” school of thought.