3 Beauty Products I’m LOVING Right now…

beauty products I'm loving, dry shampoo, facial moisturizer

From left…

1. For the longest time I really could not grasp dry shampoo or specifically, how it worked. I tried a few brands in the beginning that didn’t work and called it a day. I think I may have Tweeted at one point for advice on your favorites and picked up Oscar Blandi volumizing dry shampoo to try out. I liked it better than the rest but it still took me a while to figure out the best use for it. Products usually make my hair appear greasy even when it’s clean, so I rarely use them, and at first, I thought this just added to my dirty hair rather than masking it. So I decided to try it at night, on day one of dirty hair {meaning I had washed it the day before}… I flipped my head upside down, sprayed it at my roots and then flung my hair around for a minute without touching it. Then I clipped it up into a loose bun. I took the bun out right before bed and slept on it and low and behold, in the morning I had almost fresh hair. Typically day three is hair washing day for me, but the dry shampoo overnight allowed me to go an extra day.

Here’s what I thought was BEST about the product. When I finally did wash my hair in the shower at the end of the day, I had more voluminous hair {specifically at the roots} following my regular shampoo/condition, which I thought was brilliant! So I use it on the regular, mainly to boost my normal routine. {You can buy it here}

2. Last year, when I reviewed the Blondeshell Keratin Complex Shampoo and Conditioner, along with it came a few other products that I didn’t try. I’m not very good at trying things I don’t think I “need”, even if it’s just for my blog. Recently though, when I was unpacking my “bathroom” boxes, I realized one of the products was a dry shampoo specifically for blondes and being that my roots were starting to show and I hadn’t found a new stylist, I tried it. And guess what? I LOVE IT! This powdery dry shampoo works better overall for making my blonde hair appear clean in the moment, directly after use, and definitely lightens my roots {which the spray does not do} and is magical for in-between-salon-visits. It has a bit of a gold shimmer so it’s better on a mixed blonde highlights {like mine} rather than platinum blondes. It leaves a little shimmer on your face, so use it before you apply your makeup unless you like the shimmer. Yes, I’ve also tried using regular white body powder, which doesn’t do the trick like this does. Using this prior to normal hair washing also tends to give my newly washed hair a bit of a lift as well, though the spray is better for that. {You can buy it here and they also have one for brunettes too}

3. I am LOVING this Sweet Black Tea & Rice Facial Moisturizer by Juara. It was sent to me to review months ago actually, along with a serum which I haven’t tried yet. And honestly, I didn’t think I was ever going to try either. Not because I wasn’t interested, because I was, but because I rarely used facial moisturizer back in LA. I used it as a teen and in my early twenties but as I grew into my 30′s, if I slept in any moisturizer or creams, my skin would break out. So I stopped using it all, and was generally okay. Since moving up to the mountains though, the altitude, along with the snowy and dry weather, has left my skin parched! Desperate for something, I decided to try this Juara moisturizer because it was all-natural and honestly, it had the nicest scent that wasn’t perfume-y but rather a spicy, fruity, foody smell. Really, I can’t put my finger on scent, it’s probably sweet black tea, but it’s soothing and calming and nice before bed. And guess what I LOVE IT! Not only does it moisturize my skin {and hands} it DOES NOT BREAK ME OUT!!! I’ve been using Proactiv as a loofa/cleanser since I hit my 30′s, along with the toner to keep breakouts at bay, but I’ve stopped using the toner and instead use this moisturizer before bed. I haven’t tried it under makeup yet because I’m happy with my makeup routine but it has been a skin-saver otherwise. {You can buy it here}

Related beauty posts…

* Skin care regimen of sorts {I still use the cleansers but not the lotions}
* I’m still using Dove Shampoo & Conditioner {Color Repair is my favorite- and mixing it with a purple shampoo, either Clairol or Blondeshell, both work well} Find my Shampoo and hair tips post here

* I’d love any tips on a great body lotion for all over moisture. It’s so dry up here we are itching ourselves bloody… I don’t like really heavy lotions though that feel an inch thick on my skin. I want it to absorb QUICKLY. Would love your cold-weather tips!

• CarrynM

January 15, 2013 | Reply

For all over body lotion I would say Precipitation by Origins, the bottle not the jar, if you want something light.

• Felicia

January 15, 2013 | Reply

For lotions I end up using straight up baby oil or Vaseline in Minnesota winters. I have yet to find anything that works but we have super harsh weather here. You might want to try Vaseline Intensive in the white bottle. I’m using it right now and it’s not greasy, heavy or smelly. I tried the Cetaphil cream before that and it was too greasy for me.

• Kaitlyn

January 15, 2013 | Reply

You simply HAVE to try Mary Kay’s TimeWise Visibly Fit Body Lotion! Sooo super amazing.

• Jennifer

Thanks for the tips!
    I really enjoy your reviews because I feel like they are honest!

xo Jennifer

• A.Co

January 15, 2013 | Reply

For all over moisture, I really love Equate’s Shea & Coco lotion (Equate, as in the WALMART brand). If you want to get fancy, you could use (the exact same thing but $3 more) Vaseline ‘Total Moisture’ in Cocoa Radiant (same smell, formula, everything).

I love love love this lotion (the Equate one), it’s not too thick, it absorbs quickly, it’s not greasy (I use it on my face), and the smell is fabulous, but not over powering at all.

• Michele Gross

January 15, 2013 | Reply

I would try LUSH products–they have great solid moisturizers which are bars of cocoa and shea butter that have transformed my skin. They also have body butters which are bars of the same butters that you can use IN THE SHOWER! You get out and don’t have to moisturize at all. They have wonderful regular lotions as well (Dream Cream is my favorite!).

January 15, 2013 | Reply

I love cerave cream in the jar. I have super sensitive skin and my doc said to use it head to toe. It doesn’t cause breakouts and helps the skin rebuild.

January 15, 2013 | Reply

coconut oil! cheap and very effective

• charcoal and lime

January 15, 2013 | Reply

Palmer’s Cocoa Butter. I use it year round. It is the only thing in my routine that has stayed the same for more then 15 years. I flirt with other lotions but always know that my skin will be smooth and have an even tone with Palmers. The scent is strong, I like it though. In the summer is makes my skin GLOW! Right now my skin feels nourished and soft. Love this stuff.

• Erika

January 15, 2013 | Reply

Ditto on coconut oil. Almond and olive oils also work a treat. I mix it with some jojoba, rosehip and a couple of essential oils. The latter vary, but always include rose, which I’m a total sucker for. Rub on after the shower, towel off any excess.

You could also mix the oil with a bit of sugar or salt and use it as a body scrub in the shower – then just rub the excess off. I still need to do my hands regularly through the day, but this keeps my body under control.

If I’ve got spare cash, I’m happy to use Aesop products – don’t know if you get them in the US though.

• Heather Carson

January 15, 2013 | Reply

i just recently fell in love with dry shampoo…

and reccommend Batiste:

xo – heather
    This Life Is Yours Blog

January 15, 2013 | Reply

I use Cetaphil. It’s great for all over body, hand, and face! It absorbs faster than oils like coconut and it has no scent so my husband loves it too.

• cgg

January 15, 2013 | Reply

I also use coconut oil for all over body moisturizer for me and for my children. I also put it on my scalp after a visit to the salon because the bleach leaves my scalp itchy and flaky. I use it on my lips as lip balm and for cooking!! Look it up, there are tons of uses for it, it is non petroleum based, no phalates and non-toxic.

• Dennis and Leslie

January 16, 2013 | Reply

I live in San Fran and I’m a nurse, so my hands are really dry. I’m loving this lotion right now:

January 16, 2013 | Reply

I’m the same way – rarely used any until I moved from FL to TN. My fave right now is the Aveeno Positively Nourishing cream. It has cocoa and Shea butter and it’s like a butter but it absorbs really quickly. I always enjoy putting it on :)

January 16, 2013 | Reply

I have really Like it Product for use it.
    click here

• Adiel Cloud

January 16, 2013 | Reply

I’m always on the hunt for the perfect dry shampoo. I’ve tried dozens and haven’t found the winner just yet. Perhaps I’ll give Oscar Blandi another try!

xo.Adiel
    IBITTM

• M.E

January 16, 2013 | Reply

I’m like you and never really was a fan of dry shampoo but now that I read your review on the Oscar Blandi product I’m really curious to try it out!

Thanks for sharing :)

• Sarah

January 16, 2013 | Reply

I just started using coconut oil mixed with a little vitamin e every night and my skin is loving it! January in Wisconsin is brutal on skin, especially skin as sensitive as mine. I highly recommend giving it a try.

January 17, 2013 | Reply

Glycerin bar soap {like Dial cranberry antioxidant}…shower gloves {work soap into a lather using a circular motion-towards your heart}…end with a cool or cold water rinse…air or towel dry…then Cetaphil lotion.

• Amanda P

January 17, 2013 | Reply

I’m in Canada, and for body moisturizer, I like the products from Rocky Mountain Soap Company. I use their sugar scrubs (vegetable oil-based) at the end of my shower, and then the matching body lotion.

Thanks for the dry shampoo recommendations. I have blonde hair and it starts to look greasy FAST, so I wash it every day. Many of the dry shampoos that I’ve tried look just like I’ve put corn starch in my hair. Il have to give the Oscar Blandi product a try.

• Rebecca DaFashionista

January 18, 2013 | Reply

Being from NYC and have contented with dry skin for not using the right along with so many faux-pas from trying a ton of recommendations that didn’t work, I was thrilled when I finally started using Olay total body effects moisturizer. It’s amazingly light, but very hydrating without leaving you feeling gooey, greasy & has the freshest scent that I LOVE! Please try it & let me know what you think. Have fun!

X, Rebecca

• Kara

January 19, 2013 | Reply

I love Oscar Blandi dry shampoo! For an all over moisturizer, are you ready?, don’t laugh – baby lotion! Good old Johnson’s baby lotion. The lavender/chamomile smells lovely and less babyish but I swear it’s the most moisturizing and gentle lotion!!

• RT

January 21, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for the tips
    I do love my Aveeno body cream/lotion. It’s amazing and keeps my skin well moisturised and I apply it right after a shower.
    Arthi