Black & Blue & Sequins all over NYE in the Snow

holiday outfit in the snow, dressing up in the winter

What I’m Wearing…

* Cobalt blue sequin mini dress… originally from Modcloth {and purchased for NYE 2011, I think} you can find similar versions here in navy and here in black and/or gold and here in black and/or green
* Vintage military peacoat {found at Melrose Flea Market about 15 years ago and remains a favorite}
* DIY leather collar necklace… which occasionally caught my coat & lifted up {and annoyed me ;} I wore the suede side up to tie in the texture of the boots.
* Leslie Danzis Earrings from GILT
* Black fine/smart leggings are by Jockey {which I’ve been wearing under everything these days for warmth}
* Black slouchy fur hat by Bob Basics {on sale now, I bought it in every color, it’s so cute and so warm and I love it ~ see me wearing my gray one here}
* Suede, wedge knee high “Sarah” boots by Rosegold which I found at GILT a while back {they are true to size} I LOVE the slouchiness of these but they don’t stay up very well. I have a thick pair of thigh high socks by American Apparel underneath to keep them up, which actually works.
* Vintage sunglasses
* Fingerless gloves were a gift from Alison a few years ago and I’m wearing them daily now!

* Find my NYE Nails manicure tutorial here

This is such a fun dress to keep for all seasons. I’ve only worn it once so far, at a Summer event with bare legs and my satin Ferragamo heels and it’s just as fun to wear with cold-weather gear and boots. I almost dressed it down even more by just wearing a bulky sweater over it, giving the illusion of it being a skirt, but the coat won out. Besides, it was the perfect temperature for inside with the coat off.

We had fresh snow and blue/sunny skies {which is actually what it looks like most days here} but I was so worried about ruining the suede on my boots by even stepping out into the snow. But really, it didn’t harm them at all! The powdery snow just brushed off and didn’t even leave them wet! I was really surprised by this actually, though I know if I had been walking for a longer period of time, it probably would have marked them up, no?

Occasionally, when the wind blows, the trees sway and chunks of snow fall… something we mostly see from inside, looking out. But when we were taking photos it happened and it felt like a mini little snow fall. Actually, it all really feels like a movie, as if there was just a snow machine hiding in the distance, lol.

The colors we get in the photos with the snow are so magical, I don’t even know what to do. The blue background must be a reflection from the sky on the snow-covered hill in the distance. The beauty that surrounds us now is captivating. Really, we are blessed.

sequins in the snow

New Year's outfit in the cold weather

blue sequined mini dress with boots and a coat

sequin party dress in the snow

holiday dress, dressing up in the snow

sequined dress, leggings, boots, furry hat

blue sequined mini party dress with boots and a coat

navy and black holiday outfit

sequined party dress in the snow

Happy 2013 Hump Day Lovecats!

• Jennifer

January 3, 2013 | Reply

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new surroundings!

xo Jennifer

• Jessica @ Here(and)Now

January 3, 2013 | Reply

Wow lady, you are FABulous! What a cute little snow bunny, and I am in love with everything, but have my eye on those bow gloves! Happy New year!
    xx
    Here&Now

• Heather Carson

January 3, 2013 | Reply

LOVE the cute bow gloves!!

- heather
    This Life Is Yours Blog

January 3, 2013 | Reply

The snow gently falling is magical………

• jenn~the stylish housewife

January 3, 2013 | Reply

i’ll never forget that dress! er, maybe it was the girl taking 8876767 pics of your a$$ trying to get a close up of sequins that i can’t forget…ha ha!!! oh, and i got to meet one of my bloggy idols. you are such a beauty! and i agree, the colors in your pics are dreamy!

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

• Naomi

January 3, 2013 | Reply

Lovely! And the hats cute too~

The Occasional Indulgence

• Jamie Rose

January 3, 2013 | Reply

Aw you look so festive and pretty in your sequined dress! Such a cute hat and boots too. You look fantastic!

• Nina John

January 3, 2013 | Reply

The connections that you make early in your career will take you far. After 20 years it is still true for me. This has been true regarding companies I worked for and those I worked with. All you have written is excellent advice.

McDesert Safari

• Precious Deedee

love those photos :X

• Gabriella C.

January 3, 2013 | Reply

I love that sequin dress! So cute! It looks great with your coat, hat, and gloves, very wintery and pretty. :) The background with the snow looks gorgeous as well, love it!

♥ Check out my blog: Principessa Gabriella

• Ivana

January 3, 2013 | Reply

Maegan, you are so incredibly beautiful and these photos are simply breathtaking! I haven’t met a sequin dress yet that I didn’t like, and I’m simply obsessed with yours :) Living by the lake sounds like such a wonderful and magical experience!

Happy New Year! I can’t wait to see what 2013 has in store for you!

xx Ivana
    Macarons and Pearls

• Ann

January 3, 2013 | Reply

Maegan – yes, I’d guess too that had you been outside longer, the suede may have permanently stained. If you don’t already have it, get a really good suede protectant spray for your suedes and leathers. Street salt in the wintery climates can be horrid on all shoes..whether suede or regular leather.

Also, PLEASE, can you mention what size curling iron you’ve been using lately for your larger waves/curls? Or is it that your hot curlers?

Thanks. :)

• A.Co

January 3, 2013 | Reply

I agree with Ann, above, the snow won’t do too much damage (or any) in the small amount of time you likely spent taking photos, but long periods will. The salt is THE WORST (ugh!). Use a leather/suede aerosol protectant on all your shoes and boots (even synthetic!) that will be getting used outside. PROTECT PROTECT PROTECT!

I often don’t wear any of my nicer shoes/boots in the snow for that very reason (but then again, walking on ice and snow in heels isn’t always ideal!! Haha! :).

For reference, I usually spray my boots a couple times a year. My Uggs I will often spray three to five times per winter (better safe than sorry! Once the salt stains ‘em, you’re pretty much screwed).

An of course, you look amazing, as per usual and the dress is awesome on you. I love coming to your blog daily for a little dose of Maegan (not as creepy as it reads ;).

• Dina Karivalis

January 3, 2013 | Reply

You look amazing as always, perfect dress for NYE and winter!
    xo Dina
    Sweetest Somethings

• Milex

oh my dear ♥

January 4, 2013 | Reply

OMM — OH MY MAEGAN! i love the outfit! i love the snow! i love the pics! and i love that you are having so much fun in the new digs!!!!!

and i am relieved that your suede didn’t get ruined. i look at suede with suspicion, know i shouldn’t buy it because i will dirty it or ruin it within a matter of time. but suede is so rich and luxurious that it is a shame to not have at least SOME of it.

OFF TOPIC, but WHY ARE WALLETS SO EXPENSIVE. i am looking for one — a relatively nice one — and i CANNOT FATHOM THE PRICES.

ok. sorry! tangent city, as usual! :)

• thankfifi

January 4, 2013 | Reply

just beautiful in EVERY way

Thankfifi

• Erna

January 4, 2013 | Reply

Gorgeous as always!!

As an Icelander I can tell you that it’s not the snow that can ruin your boots, suede or leather, but the salt and sand they put down on the streets. I’ve used weatherproofing like Katherine MacDougall pointed out, but if the snow has gone really salty and muddy that sometimes isn´t enough.. I do think though that in your town you wont get all the sea salt like we do in my hometown Reykjavík which is really bad for your cothes.