DIY Bejeweled Hair Combs // Pretty Brooches for your Hair

DIY Hair Accessories, Hair Combs

I fell in love with hair combs the other day after writing 18 Statement Hair Combs | Brooches for your Hair and was totally inspired to make a few. In all honesty, I had purchased a pack of plain hair combs about a year ago to do this DIY, but I just haven’t had the chance to DIY anything lately. It felt so good to finally be using my hands again for something other than typing! Hope you enjoy… I made two different pretty hair brooches, and they’re both really easy! I love that they can be worn in so many different styles, and even create new styles in your hair. The 80′s & ’90s were hair-combs-a’plenty.

What You’ll Need…

Must-haves…
* Plastic or metal hair combs {I personally prefer these plastic ones because they stay in my hair much better than the metal ones} I found these at the local drugstore.
* Hot Glue Gun and glue
* Needle and Thread {I used clear/nylon thread but you can easily use regular thread as well}
* An assortment of beads or trim or spikes… anything you’d like to adorn your combs with. I took the photo above before really deciding what to use.

Steps… Gold Leaf Hair Combs

DIY Hair Accessories, Hair Combs

* As a base, I used gold leaf satin ribbon. It’s 100% Polyester but feels a little like faux leather.

DIY Hair Accessories, Hair Combs

* I threaded my needle with my nylon thread, knotted the end around the comb and the ribbon, then simply looped it through the comb teeth and over the ribbon, securing it into place. You really don’t need the needle until it’s time to knot it at the ends.

DIY Hair Accessories, Hair Combs

* I used two rows of ribbon facing different directions for a nice and sturdy, solid base. You can choose to glue it down instead, but I prefer thread to glue whenever I can.

DIY Hair Accessories, Hair Combs

* I then grabbed single gold leaf sequins and gold, black, and crystal beads…

DIY Hair Accessories, Hair Combs

* And stitched them onto, and around my gold leaf base.

DIY Hair Accessories, Hair Combs

* Knot the thread in the back whenever possible to secure the beads. This is what it will look like.

And… Voila!

Instead of wearing one on each side, I almost layered them vertically to create one super-long hair accessory. Of course there are tons of different ways to wear them… what’s your favorite?

DIY Hair Accessories, Hair Combs

* But you can wear them any way you like… as a crown, alongside a bun or French twist, or Faux Hawk.

DIY Hair Accessories, Hair Combs

This is an incredibly long and photo-heavy post, but I thought it better to keep them together than to split them up, so I give you…

Bejeweled Hair Comb DIY…

Here’s What You’ll Need…

DIY-bejeweled-hair-combs-1

* Hair Combs
* Felt
* Hot Glue Gun
* Assorted gems, rhinestones, and jewels. I used a combination of vintage stones and cheap plastic gems from the craft store.
* Needle and thread

Steps…

DIY-bejeweled-hair-combs-2

Cut a shape from your felt a little larger than the width of your comb.

DIY-bejeweled-hair-combs-3

Arrange your stones and gems how you’d like them to look, and hot glue them onto the felt.

DIY-bejeweled-hair-combs-4

Once your glue is dry and your stones set in place, trim away the excess felt.

DIY-bejeweled-hair-combs-5

DIY-bejeweled-hair-combs-6

Thread your needle… and Carefully hand-stitch your felt to your comb, wrapping your thread in between the teeth of the comb.

DIY-bejeweled-hair-combs-7

To make sure it’s secure, hot glue the spaces in between your thread and allow it to dry.

And… Voila!

Have Fun!

* Find all my DIY tutorials here
* Find all my HAIR tutorials here
* Originally created for Babble Beauty : DIY Pretty Bejeweled Hair Combs

• Mana

July 10, 2013 | Reply

I adore those leaf ones, they’re so cute! Absolutely perfect for Fall. Which is far away but I’m so ready for.

Mana
    Fashion and Happy Things

• Mindy

July 10, 2013 | Reply

Love the bejeweled one! You have inspired me to create one for a bridal look.

• Malu Swartjes

July 10, 2013 | Reply

You look absolutely fabulous! Love the bejweled one and love your curls!
    xx
    Discover my Stylish Confessions♥

• A.Co

July 10, 2013 | Reply

This is AWESOME, well done! I like the gold leaf one best and love how you doubled up w two combs looking like one.

Your hair is always the best.

PS – Your 4th looks wonderful (again with the hair too!! *swoon*)

July 10, 2013 | Reply

Oh my gosh, the second DIY is so easy! I’m going to check out the various pins/fashion jewelry at the next monthly rummage sale at a senior center not far away from here. Lots of fashion jewelry there, and now I’ll have a DIY goal in mind next time.

• A.Co

July 10, 2013 | Reply

One more thing, not sure if you’re familiar with the blog, ‘A Blog About Love’ … but, if I’m not overstepping my bounds here, she talks a lot about the heartache of being unable to get pregnant. I’m just catching up on her/their blog and most recently the bout of IVF they went through didn’t take… again. Anyways… I won’t say anymore, but, I like reading about people with similar life issues as me, and relatable things, etc. so maybe you do to.. http://www.ablogaboutlove.com/2013/06/healing-from-ivf.html#more

• daer0n

July 10, 2013 | Reply

Those are so pretty! I don’t think I would be able to pull them off, but they are really pretty nonetheless :)

• Rachel B.

July 10, 2013 | Reply

such a great idea!

• Elli C

July 11, 2013 | Reply

It’s great and beautiful!

July 11, 2013 | Reply

Every one has some problems in their life to get the accurate reading and well experienced experts in http://www.weblivexperts.com in just $0.25 cent

July 11, 2013 | Reply

Get anything in just $0.99 cent software, mobile app, applications of any thing we will search and find out the exact what you want in http://www.krazy99.com12430

• Tresor Paris Triumph

July 11, 2013 | Reply

I’m a fashionista, who follows and keep updating myself about the latest fashion trends. Fashion accessories, literally, are the most stylish items that can brighten up any dull outfit and show your personality. Your blog is very informative and useful.

July 11, 2013 | Reply

Wow!! I love the two together!!! Are you still planning on making the tutorial for the hair you had around the time of your husband’s birthday??

• Denitsa

July 11, 2013 | Reply
  • PEACHES

July 12, 2013 | Reply

Imma need ten of these. And I have the rhinestones already. Oh man. OH. MAN.

• Lace Beaded Ruffles Long Burgundy Prom Dress

July 12, 2013 | Reply

This diy bejeweled hair comb is gorgeous for curly yellow hairs. Combs are matchable with nice dresses.

• Jane Droll

July 12, 2013 | Reply

i have been wanting to bejewel boxes for a long time. i just keep forgetting to do it. and i have more ideas than FOLLOW THROUGH, but maybe this post will nudge me in the right directions.

making a note to BUY BEJEWELING ITEMS, STAT! ;)

• Gypsy Wools

July 17, 2013 | Reply

Those are so beautiful! Such a great idea, Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

• Sylvia Salas - Dare to DIY

July 21, 2013 | Reply

This came out so beautiful! I love the one with the golden leaves, it looks so beautiful on your hair!

• Mandi

October 25, 2013 | Reply

I think I know what I’m doing for DIY gifts this year for the girls in the family! How freaking CUTE!

• Peaches

April 6, 2014 | Reply

Just saw these pop up on your homepage…love them as much now as I did last summer. Mad at myself for not making some for myself already!

• tish