DIY Wedding Petal Bag/Purse/Clutch

DIY Wedding petal bag purse clutch-

Way back in 2009 after I made my DIY Petal Clutch Bag & DIY Petal Heels {using cut pieces of chiffon to create the petal affect} I found these white pre-made faux petals at the craft store and thought I’d try them out in similar DIYs but for wedding purposes instead. Alas, I never got around to it. But since it’s wedding season, it’s been on my mind for the last few months and I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect little satin clutch to petal when I finally realized I had a great vintage option instead.

I had originally planned to petal the entire thing, but since this bag was so different, I created a petal-floral design instead, and love it. If however, you’d like to create one for your own wedding, use a combination of this diy and my DIY Petal Clutch Bag to create the perfect petal wedding clutch. They’re so romantic I think.

If you’re looking for more inspiration or to shop, click: Wedding Clutches and Bridal Bags

Here’s What You’ll Need…

DIY Wedding petal bag purse clutch-1

* Vintage or new purse/clutch bag… fabricated so that you can stitch onto it

If your wedding is along the vintage, natural, wild flower variety, this vintage woven look would work perfectly. If your wedding is more along the lines of modern and/or glam or perfectly detailed, I’d find a pretty white satin clutch to use as your base. But don’t forget to shop at thrift/vintage stores if you’re on a budget OR want something unique and original.

* Synthetic petals
* Matching thread & needle

Steps…

DIY Wedding petal bag purse clutch-2

* Decide where you want to begin your petal design… Unless you’re going to petal the entire bag like this DIY Petal Clutch Bag, then beginning at the bottom and working your way up may be the best option.

* Pinch the tops of your petals and hand stitch them on one at a time.

DIY Wedding petal bag purse clutch-3

* Continue the same method to create a fluffy petal design.

DIY Wedding petal bag purse clutch-4

* With a few sheer petals, fold then pinch them into a fortune cookie shape, and stitch them in between your larger full petals to add texture and dimension {as well as to disguise areas of the tops of some petals that don’t lay correctly}

And… Voila!

diy wedding petal bag+blue heels

DIY Wedding petal bag purse clutch-6

vintage woven purse with white  petals

Wedding Petal Purse-bag-clutch- DIY

Have Fun!

* Find all my DIYs here

petal shoes and bag diy

* Find my original chiffon petal DIYs here: my DIY Petal Clutch Bag & DIY Petal Heels

• Mindy

June 18, 2014 | Reply

This is lovely. I have boxes and boxes of fake petals I bought for our wedding and never used; I should try something like this!

• Always So Sweet

June 18, 2014 | Reply

OMGosh………I have a similar (white) handbag, and it has a champagne or coffee stain on an area. I’ve been actually staring at that bag every time I pass by, wondering what I can do to cover that stain. This is perfect!!…….. Thank you………I’ll be off to buy petals tomorrow!

• The CHIC Insomniac

June 18, 2014 | Reply

Wow!! How creative and CUTE!!!!

The CHIC Insomniac

• Bre & Ree

June 19, 2014 | Reply

My best friend is getting married in October and this would be perfect! I have a clutch that looks quite similar to the one above, so adding petals to it would be adorable. I’m thinking a nice fall color for the petals like an orange would be perfect. Thanks for the great idea!
    ~Bre

• Jet aka Punk Glam Queen

June 19, 2014 | Reply

Nice! What immediately came to mind when you showed the “fortune cookie” folded petal to hide the other stitched down petals was that I would sew beads in the centre. Depending on how how subtle you want the “bling”, you could use clear with an iridescent sheen, tiny seed pearls, or go big with sequins, sequins plus beads, or for something really wild, studs (okay, gave myself a headache thinking of both the process & finished look of those last “big” ideas & I’m not particularly known for being subtle, eclectic & eccentric, yes.) Also the amount of beads, just a subtle touch I would use one to maybe three every so often, not on every single centre. Another idea that came to mind was to incorporate maybe just one coloured flower to match the bridesmaid’s dresses. Lastly (gee full of ideas tonight!) I thought if you didn’t have the pre-made petals (honestly though one box is so inexpensive) I immediately thought to take a strip of fabric as wide as you’d like, scallop the edges. Cut so you have a single strip (in case you did it on a fold so you could make more), start at one end rolling tightly, pulling the petals out to the sides as you go until you get the size & shape flower you’d like, pin, cut off any excess, then sew on (you could add a step by taking a stitch or two to secure the flower shape so it doesn’t come apart when you pin it to the handbag.) You could play around with the edging shape to get different looks; perhaps some some spiked edges to get a more exotic look? But this wouldn’t give that same cascading effect you’ve come up with, so if you wanted to do full flowers, you could do them like that, after sewing on a cascade of single petals. Finally, to quote Austin Powers, “and I’m spent.” (; Jet
    PS I love the idea above from Always So Sweet about hiding a stain! Fantastic idea especially if you’ve found the perfect vintage handbag & it has a stain, age spots or fading! Might even be nice on a garment with a stain, depending on the garment style.

• MD

August 20, 2014 | Reply

Great idea.. Girls will look amazing with such different stuff.

• inforeseps